Sign in to follow this  
elephant

The other Flight Sim...

Please don't flame me as my intention is to motivate OBD finishing Phase 4 to the best and to protest about the user unfriendly externals of OFF, but I guess this isn't OBD's responsibility!

Came on OBD surprise us! :clapping:

I was flying a lot OFF lately...I was sucked into it's great historical Campaign!

Yesterday, after taking the last update of RoF, I fired it up for a spin.

RoF may be years behind OFF regarding historical backround, planeset and dynamic environment but...

Oh man, I had forgotten it's visual awesomness! :yikes:

The complicated flight model and complex engine managment also. Planes in OFF seem so stable comparing to this!

I put myself in the cockpit of my beloved Alb. D.Va to continue my Pat Wilson's, long ago interrupted, Jasta 34b Campaign.

To my surprise the date was the 2nd of February 1918 and the mission objective to perform a patrol over the Verdun front with Fwbl. Maxim Bauer as a wingman.

(I am Oblt. Kurt Jurgens, an ace with 26 victories so far).

From my Combat report:

"We went on a flight of three Spads today, flying, surprisingly, a bit lower than us . We attacked from above with the sun behind us and caught them completely by surprise. I fired upon the extereme left one, of their vic formation first, as I was diving too fast on them and had to adjust my aim. The poor Frenchie after the first blast on his upper wing and fuselage, probably, in a state of shock tried to break, exposing me his belly. A well placed second burst, lit his engine up. I turned to see where the others were and saw the right wingman flaming from Fwbl. Bauer's spandaus. The FL was trying to flee gaining altitude, but as we both hadn't lost much energy, as we didn't really manoeuvre so much to shoot the others, we caught him easily. Two or three bursts form low behind to his "soft underbelly", and he lost control and crashed, with no trace of fire this time, almost immediately."

The Spad Flight Leader is off, (probably dead already)...

SpadDown1.jpg

Downfall...

SpadDown2.jpg

The wreck...fuel is still pouring out.

SpadDown3.jpg

Half burried into snow already...

SpadDown4.jpg

All the inner structure can be seen through the holes...

SpadDown5.jpg

Trying to locate the Spad crash site...

SpadDown6.jpg

Albatros' Glorius Beauty...

SpadDown7.jpg

28th Victory confirmed...

SpadDown8.jpg

Back to base...

SpadDown9.jpg

Plane skins by Ansirial (modified by me)

Pilot skin by me... :cool:

Elephant, while I agree the visuals are quite stunning in RoF, I believe the planes are rather overly sensitive and unstable. I have flown ultralight aircraft and from my own little RL experience I find the OFF planes to be much closer in feel and control than those in RoF. Also, as you are still new here and may not be aware, it is a bit of bad form to use the OFF forums to extol the virtues of other WWI flight sims. Not that you've done it in a bashing way at all Sir, but the OFF devs are fully aware of what their counterparts in the industry already provide so we don't need to keep holding it up to them for scrutiny. After all, this is OBD's house and we should each abide by their very minimal requests of comportment.

If you, by any means find this offensive or insulting, (it was not my intention and apologize if so), I will duly remove it...

very minimal requests of comportment.

Hmmm most like you old chap... you had one too many Whiskies this morning...

And Elephant I can understand what your saying as has been said this is for OFF... even though the other one does look rather Pretty... in the like of a Supermodel which you have one night with whereas OFF is the pretty girl who you keep for life through all the good times and the bad times...

I agree that RoF has stunning visuals..I have the Game..But I never play it!..It feels exactly like 'A Game'...and the addon price for aircraft?..Total rip off (imho)

Well, since Capt. Louvert has already given you a dressing down, I can only ditto that, Oberleutnant Jurgens.

We all know, that they are two different sims, and that "the other sim" also has some advantages.

I am absolutely certain, that the devs are fully aware of all that. And if you had seen their commitment during the last years,

you would know, that they don't need really to get motivated. I have never seen people more motivated to get things right.

You know - every rookie tries to impress the CO and the crew with some stunning loopings and rolls over the field.

And every rookie get's a dressing down after that. The crew are veterans - they won't be overly impressed.

If you want to impress them, do the right things in combat, keep your nerves together, come back alive and without

loosing comrades behind. Master the often sordid reality.

OFF provides us with just that - a very good realism; totally immersive.

And honestly (and this is not meant to be bashing the "other sim"): the landscape does not look better than in OFF IMHO.

And the aircraft - well, they appear more shiny and like "sharpened" in a photo program. But this "eyecandy" is wearing

off on me quickly.

I really believe, that the "OFF look" is somehow special - it does not sting in the eye with crystal-clear sharpness,

and through this understatement has the effect, that the whole "world" of landdscape and aircraft together appears

more real to me - because I can fill the missing sharpness with my own imagination.

That was and still is, what always makes certain games or sims so special for us - room/space for imagination.

Edited by Olham

Slarti, nothing more than coffee this morning Sir. Was only pointing out that folks like Pol have reminded us all that these are the OFF forums. Imagine if you had a new Jaguar XJ coupe and had invited friends over to see it, only to have one show up in their new Ferrari F1. Your house, your candy, your invitation. Only common courtesy to allow it to be your show as well. If your friend wishes to show off his F1 the polite thing to do would be to throw his own party. :smile:

Elephant, my intention was not to give you a dressing down, and my apologies if that is how it came off. I was simply making mention of a request that has been made here before on several occasions.

Nicely quoted Herr Olham... all I miss from OFF is the smell of castor oil and burnt gunpowder... I need to get flying again... This weekend I finally get my new computer desk only taken them a month to get it to me :blink: and once in place I believe a lot of happy flying is to commence, though I have first got to get Win7 to allow me to fly OFF but I think I know the problem now... and as I have a 3 day weekend I plenty of time for testing...

RoF may be years behind OFF regarding historical backround, planeset and dynamic environment but...

I know, I've already said that...

I guess I got pretty much overwhelmed by RoF visuals after the long absence and wanted to offer an extra stimulus to OFF development team... :dntknw:

Don't feel dressed down or feel attached to any particular sim whatsoever...I want more out of OFF is that bad?

Moderators if necessary remove the whole thread... :blink:

Slartibartfast, no problem here with Win 7 32bit...

Edited by elephant

hmmmm...I must be totally miscommunicating this AM, but I feel that I've offended folks here with my initial post, as well-meaning as it was meant to be. I am bowing out of further comments in this one, Gents.

32bit may be fine but I am running 64bit...

As to you old chap lovert... no your quote was perfect in my eyes... you said it without insult or injury... :drinks:

Hi Elephant,

If you, by any means find this offensive or insulting, (it was not my intention and apologize if so), I will duly remove it...

There is nothing offensive or insulting about any of this. However, as has been so tactfully pointed out by Lou, "If your friend wishes to show off his F1 the polite thing to do would be for him to throw his own party".

We understand you mean no harm with the nature of your post. From experience though, any time a member has brought up a topic which compares this sim (OFF) with another, it has almost invariably led to some form of heated debate, and on some occasions, it's just become downright ugly.

The lads from OBD are abundantly aware of the merits as well as some of the limitations of their own creation, as well as those of "others". They didn't develop a sim of this quality by keeping their heads stuck in the mud of no man's land. I doubt they need any reminders or a heads-up as to what's going on in the development of other WW1 combat sims, even if those reminders are offered up as being "motivational".

Having said that, this forum is comprised of a very open-minded group of people. There are several of us who also fly these other WW1 sims. I for one enjoy going for a spin in RoF occasionally. It does have it's obvious strong points. If I only had room for one WW1 flight sim on my hard drive, I'd keep OFF without hesitation, but that's just a matter of personal preference. As far as I'm concerned, comparisons between the two are best conducted in a private forum or chat, where the potiential for hurt feelings and potential flame wars is virtually eliminated. Fortunately, I have room on my hard drives for any WW1 air combat sim that's even worth a look. It just happens to be my favorite "niche", and although my loyalty will always remain with OBD and the members of this forum (I've watched this sim develop from before the release of phase 1....) it doesn't mean I'll get all bent out of shape when somebody mentions another product. It's mostly just in the name of forum "etiquette" and the desire to avoid emotionally charged comments that we prefer not to discuss other similar products in a forum that is specifically geared toward the enjoyment of this one.

No harm done as far as I can see...

Cheers,

Parky

Lou, maybe I used the wrong term, or the wrong kind of joke, about the "dressing down" thing.

I just tried to write a post with the touch of a conversation between a rookie pilot and a veteran.

You have written a very polite statement, and I have never seen you do anything offensive or rude.

So, it was probably my mistake - sorry for that. And please get out of that dugout again. Sir?

Same for you, elephant - I'm sure you didn't want to harm anyone.

Lou, maybe it's not our day for answering the post, Sir - perhaps we should take the Model T

and drive to town for a decent glass of beer (if they have that in France)?