Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

Gaming laptop?

So I've begun my search for a new laptop, but am disappointed with the results. Of course I've looked at Alienware, but since Dell bought them, their quality seems to have gone down. I've read some pretty horrific reviews about defective parts or low quality components. Then there is Asus. Great reviews, but well out of my price range.

I guess I could sell some blood or take up man-shoring to bring in some extra cash.

Wal-Mart has a SONY that I'm looking at. for $700. 00 ruffly . 2.3 Gig I5 , 4gig's of DDR3, 15.6 LED backlit screen,320 Gig HD, DVDRW, Bluetooth,3.6 hour batt. Win7, and Intel HD graphics,No specs on graphics mem.

Raven

Edited by RAVEN

So I've begun my search for a new laptop, but am disappointed with the results. Of course I've looked at Alienware, but since Dell bought them, their quality seems to have gone down. I've read some pretty horrific reviews about defective parts or low quality components. Then there is Asus. Great reviews, but well out of my price range.

I guess I could sell some blood or take up man-shoring to bring in some extra cash.

I have an Alienware M11 and its awesome. Dell may own them but they are still their own company. I would look at Alienware again. Also FC and I have the same Dell laptop's M1530 and they run the SF series well and mine is 2 years old. So a Dell XPS isnt a bad choice.

Intel HD graphics = crap for games.

I've got a Dell XPS M1530 I bought back in the summer of 2009 I believe. I've played plenty of games on it (no sims, though) and it works great with an 8600GT chip.

Because some of us travel for a living and need a mobile way to game. Good luck throwing your desktop and 27 inch monitor into your bag and dragging it around the planet.

My last laptop was more powerful and had better resolution than most desktops at the time I bought it.

Don't you ever presume you know what's good for gaming or simming for other folks and what isn't.

FC

Wal-Mart has a SONY that I'm looking at. for $700. 00 ruffly . 2.3 Gig I5 , 4gig's of DDR3, 15.6 LED backlit screen,320 Gig HD, DVDRW, Bluetooth,3.6 hour batt. Win7, and Intel HD graphics,No specs on graphics mem.

Raven

I will echo what JM said, and even raise it one - DO NOT GO WITH INTEL GRAPHICS FOR GAMING!!!

My current laptop and my previous laptop both have/had intel graphics chips. The newer one (in my Macbook) is a little better than the old one. I can really only play SF on med settings (on average, some are set to low, some are set to high). Right after I got my Macbook, Apple started using the NVIDIA integrated graphics instead of the Intel for the same price. NVIDIA's integrated graphics are supposed to perform 5-10x better than the intel ones. So if you're going to get something with integrated graphics, go with NVIDIA.

But for $1000, you should be able to get something better than integrated graphics.

My Alienware M11 is more powerful than my 18 month old Dell gaming desktop. You can most certainly sim on it. Open mouth insert foot uncleal.

My last Dell a quad was only 2.4ghtz. but it wasn't a Quote, Unquote, "Gamer" evidenced by the 300 Watt PSU, and the PCI-E 1 Mobo which it came with. Even though the PCI-E 2 was available at the time.

When translated into english. . . DELL itself limits the type of aftermarket video card you can install

DELL has the nasty habit of building it's own Motherboards to save a buck, thereby increase it's profit margin

What you buy is your business, they won't ever force me to buy another DELL

You enjoy it . .Fine. . .. Different Opinions make the world spin drinks.gif

Different opinions is one thing but saying there isn't a gaming laptop as I quote;

Laptops definately hold a use, but not for gaming, and certainly not for flight sims

just makes you sound ignorant on the subject.

I have used laptops for all types of gaming or simming for at least 10 years and i'm more than happy, you can believe me. Even for the last cutting edge graphic games you can find a laptop to handle it. :drinks:

Edited by Nix

Yep, been laptop gaming for 8 years now...about the only gaming you can't do are things requiring precise foot petals (of which there are workarounds). Everything else (including things like joysticks, TrackIR) you can fit into a laptop bag.

I've often wondered what the market would be for a durable, truly portable HOTAS...

FC

Thanks again for all the input. As FC said, I do travel a lot, so this is something I'd like to have.

The M11x sounds awesome. Dave I'll call you and ask some questions in regards to the processor differences.

Jeff