EricJ

SF2 Series DACT Reports And Related A2A Discussions (Game only)

Me: F/A-18F with 4 x AIM-9X and 9X-2s (see description for more), 6 x AIM-120Ds, gun, fuel tank

Enemy: Bandidos Su-27 with 4 x R-74s and I think 4 x PL-5E.

This one after multiple times stumps me. The Su-27 is a maneuverable fighter, but not like this in my opinion. It turns too quick and is on me as soon as I get on him, and he's already trying to spike me with his R-74s. I don't think the FM is right for it based off of Marcfighters Su-27 and I'm sure that FM was good enough. That aside as it is the Su-27 is more UFO-ish and therefore is locking you up and firing  before you can get a shot off and when you do, your AIM-9X-2s don't work. Now I don't know who made the X-2s but there has to be some sort of reason that it simply doesn't work. Poor INI dancing is the answer, and I thought at first the Bandidos Su-27 had stealth properties and that it wouldn't allow lock on of a 'winder. After selecting my 9Xs that I had, it worked fine so it wasn't an issue with the Su-27, it was just poor workmanship. Whoever the author is here it is, this should be the non-working version just in case you want to figure out how to get it to work. I think I do know how but I'm curious how this was released. Other than that the quick flight was won by the Su-27 and still need an FM check on it.

AIM-9X-2.7z

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Me: F/A-18F with 4 x AIM-9X and 9X-2s (see description for more), 6 x AIM-120Ds, gun, fuel tank

Enemy: GKABS Su-35BM with 4 x R-74s and I think 4 x R-27R or T, GSh-301 gun with 150 rounds

This is more or less what I expect when fighting the Su-27/35 and it didn't disappoint. The problem I'm noticing with the Super Hornet is that I'm blacking out way too much and that really keeps me from exploiting the maneuverability of the aircraft. The average pilot can sustain 9Gs and I think I need to make that happen. Otherwise, the Su-35 has less of a UFO flight profile and allows some work needed to get a kill. Personally if you can pop it via BVR then I'd recommend it of course, as the blacking out has to go in regards to my aircraft. I just simply can't fight at 7Gs (I think that's the issue, but I could be wrong).

• Like 1

Any videos of the BVR part of the combat? Really curious how you guys fight and specially how you defend yourself in SF2 BVR arena.

I mean I could make one, but so far I haven't done too well in BVR in some cases, so it doesn't matter. This topic is also more focused on dogfighting an the like and not so much BVR, which is just hoping you get in position first and fire first. There's not much to talk about other than what we mod on the missiles too.

I have never really enjoyed BVR in SF2, as the enemy doesn't like to defend after player fires it missiles, so is more a chiken first game.

Yeah it is what it is. I mean we can show an AMRAAM shot and describe what you expect to see, but with the audio cue it's pretty much something that is easy to do and would just feature BVR shots against various aircraft before or after they launch on you (especially with the more modern jets and the like). But right now unless I fix the issue with my stick I'll stay away from it.

15 hours ago, EricJ said:

Yeah it is what it is. I mean we can show an AMRAAM shot and describe what you expect to see, but with the audio cue it's pretty much something that is easy to do and would just feature BVR shots against various aircraft before or after they launch on you (especially with the more modern jets and the like). But right now unless I fix the issue with my stick I'll stay away from it.

Wondering if that TacView thingie works on SF2...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Wondering if that TacView thingie works on SF2...

I don't think so. Nobody as far as I know made it work with SF2, or probably never tried.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Will keep my flights before 1982 then.

• Like 1

This looks to be a long-standing thread and I don’t know if I’m a little off topic,I understand that SF2 is not prepared for the new era of air combat in the 21st century, but I still like this part.

BTW, even modern air combat will not always be in the BVR stage. The capabilities of missiles are limited still. Unless the F-22 faces an opponent as different as the Mig-21, it will often have to enter the "Dog Fight" .

It's still interesting for me to think about tactics at different distances.I like to take advantage of advanced fighters as many as possible and cooperate with other allied units to control the entire air situation.

However, in this context, the most regrettable thing is that we do not and will not have an HMD. When we operate the AIM-9X, we can still only rely on the HUD,otherwise we can only bet on whether it will fly towards an ally or an enemy in a dog fight.

Well most of the engagements are set up to be dogfight only, given that BVR fights do exist, so in some cases you will be shot down instead, there is always a chance you'll get in close.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, simonmiller416 said:

BTW, even modern air combat will not always be in the BVR stage. The capabilities of missiles are limited still. Unless the F-22 faces an opponent as different as the Mig-21, it will often have to enter the "Dog Fight"

not unless the US and China get into it (which we dont want real world...) or rules of engagement prevent the long range shot.

but between AWACS, COMINT/SIGINT and the better reliabilty of fighter avionics and weapons, the USAF and USN can deliver on what was promised in Vietnam; consistent BVR kills

really funny is that the F/A-18E that got a kill in Syria tried AIM-9X first, then extended and switched to AMRAAM when the Winder got spoofed by flares... yes the 9X.

• Like 1

I've mainly gone up against Mig-23s in-game and if they don't get shot down by an AMRAAM I get them with a 9X or so. It does happen but rarely depending on how many there are and I choose how much are there, and so on.

55 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

but between AWACS, COMINT/SIGINT and the better reliabilty of fighter avionics and weapons, the USAF and USN can deliver on what was promised in Vietnam; consistent BVR kills

I truly believe so.

What I want to clarify is that I'm not saying dog fights happen all the time. Modern birds and weapons can indeed ensure that warfighters avoid getting into dog fights, but it still has a probability of happening. (especially in games):biggrin:

So this has been mentioned, one of my favorite things to do in SF2 is to lead 3 F-22 Raptors, intercept those Sukhois dozens of kilometers away with 120s, and let the Allies do their job, then keep quiet , stay alert, I think this is what they are best at in reality, but they have never had the chance to practice it (We don’t want this situation to happen either).Of course, the most regrettable thing is that we cannot have a data link...

Now it's time for me to close my eyes and dream of a Strike Fighters Game with modern electronics:lol:

20231027030826.png

Edited by simonmiller416
  • Like 1

we'll his hearts in the right spot, but he needs help from folks that are way more knowledgable than most in this conversation

that said, i suspect that a few amongst us have dug deep like he wants, but for whatever reasons arent sharing. there are sometimes avionics or other DLL questions that get answered yet seem like some stuff is held back.....

• Like 3

11 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

we'll his hearts in the right spot, but he needs help from folks that are way more knowledgable than most in this conversation

that said, i suspect that a few amongst us have dug deep like he wants, but for whatever reasons arent sharing. there are sometimes avionics or other DLL questions that get answered yet seem like some stuff is held back.....

Well possible, sad, but I think is very likely. Some guys are being overcautious.