Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

OT: I've Done It!

After spending a few days home sick as a dog, I began tinkering with the computer and two days later I have this to show for it.

Behold, I have the ultimate gaming computer! (At least in my mind :lol:).

I now have, in one place, the ability to run everything from OFF to Wolfenstein 3D and all of the games in between. By my count, my PC now covers every game I've ever owned from 1993 until last Christmas. And I still have 200GB free! Not bad for a couple of sick days! The best part is, for some reason, with the latest set of nVidia drivers, everything runs smoothly without any major tinkering.

Now the hard part is going to be deciding what to play next! :good:

PS: You'll notice, however, what shortcuts are on my desktop, ready to go at a moments notice. :drinks:

Edited by _CaptSopwith

That is like one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I want to do the same thing now!

EDIT: My Game folder is relatively sparse at the moment but here's my little slice of retro heaven:

gogshelf.jpg

Edited by Javito1986

Capt S,

I noticed two Mechwarrior titles in your list. Have you checked out the FREE full version of MW4-Mercenaries available at http://www.mektek.net/? It's got the full game, Clan and IS expansion packs, High Def conversion pack and about 100 new mechs. I think that they've re-established some form of easy to use online play, too. Oh, and did I mention it's FREE.

The MekTek people's passion for their game is second only to those at OBD.

Edited by NS13Jarhead

A very handsome selection, but may I suggest ARMA 2 et al?

ARMA has been a series I've meant to pick up now for quite some time. I really enjoyed the high realism / tough learning curve / tactical style games like Hidden & Dangerous (which I sold years ago for pennies). Which version do you recommend I pick up first to get my feet wet?

I'd say go for ARMA 2 + Operation Arrowhead (ARMA 2 Combined Operations)... get the two content expansions if you want extra content (British Armed forces adds more than Private Military Contractors, but I picked them both up on Steam during the Xmas sale so that I could play the latest Flashpoint dynamic missions.)

Be sure to hit up the official forum (http://forums.bistud...display.php?f=9) and Armaholic (http://www.armaholic.com/) for all of the latest & greatest user-based content (maps, mods, missions, etc).

If you have TrackIR or FreeTrack then you'll have even more immersion.

I'll be honest, I really didn't play the campaigns or the stock missions as there are tonnes of user content available that always keeps me entertained. I've also been known to spend hours just tinkering in the editor grin.gif.

Well, that's my $0.02 for whatever its worth.

ARMA has been a series I've meant to pick up now for quite some time. I really enjoyed the high realism / tough learning curve / tactical style games like Hidden & Dangerous (which I sold years ago for pennies). Which version do you recommend I pick up first to get my feet wet?

Edited by voyd

That is like one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I want to do the same thing now!

EDIT: My Game folder is relatively sparse at the moment but here's my little slice of retro heaven:

gogshelf.jpg

Javito...This 'Gog' site...does it offer it's games as all working in Windows 7?...I would so love to play 'Under a Killing Moon' again (sigh)

"And, while I'm being honest, there were a few games that didn't work: ... MiG Alley."

I miss MiG Alley. Are there any games out there that cover Korea well? I haven't looked for a while.

Edited by Wayfarer

:english_en: Me too. Mig Alley was a fun game and had room for improvements. The Smoking F-86s were nice eye candy.

Well there's always the Korean addon for CFS3

I'd say go for ARMA 2 + Operation Arrowhead (ARMA 2 Combined Operations)... get the two content expansions if you want extra content (British Armed forces adds more than Private Military Contractors, but I picked them both up on Steam during the Xmas sale so that I could play the latest Flashpoint dynamic missions.)

+1

@UK

Not all games, but most are ready for Win7. GoG it's not free.

@Caps

Nice collection, but The Sims???????

Does RB3d run on W7 64 then?

Hi Widow. Yes, and no... I'm running W7 32bit Professional edition. I'm currently ironing out a problem with my glide wrapper. If I use dgvoodoo the game runs and doesn't crash but... I have some major FPS issues - single digits depending on what' going on on the screen. If I run a modded glide wrapper made by a RB modder named Greybeard I get fantastic FPS in all conditions, but the game crashes each and every single time I end a mission. I'll let you know if I work that out. We'll see...

+1

@UK

Not all games, but most are ready for Win7. GoG it's not free.

@Caps

Nice collection, but The Sims???????

I know, I know... I get that a lot when people look over my library of games. My parents got me the original Sims for Christmas back in, what... 2000? Wound up finding a niche in my collection. As for the sequel - yeah, that was all me. :rofl:

Be sure to hit up the official forum (http://forums.bistud...display.php?f=9) and Armaholic (http://www.armaholic.com/) for all of the latest & greatest user-based content (maps, mods, missions, etc).

If you have TrackIR or FreeTrack then you'll have even more immersion.

I'll be honest, I really didn't play the campaigns or the stock missions as there are tonnes of user content available that always keeps me entertained. I've also been known to spend hours just tinkering in the editor grin.gif.

Well, that's my $0.02 for whatever its worth.

Quick follow up - I found Hidden and Dangerous for free online! It was released as a deluxe edition as part of a marketing campaign for the sequel. So now I really do have nearly everything on my HD. I'll be snagging the ARMA2 demo soon, it looks very interesting.

@ Widow: Turns out all I needed to do was reboot the PC and set the dgvoodoo settings to the ones posted at Wings of Honor: http://www.wingsofhonour.com/redbaron3d/tipsandtricks/html_woh_redbaron3d_tipsandtricks.en.html#settingupthedgvoodooglideemulator

The "Old Gal" runs beautifully! As you can see from my collection, I play all of the latest WWI sims (OFF is still my favorite for raw immersion) but it is a nice feeling to have RB back on the computer. Somehow the world seems more right (I know, I'm crazy).

Which also means I have the entire collection - at least what I played growing up - Wings of Glory, Red Baron 3D (With Otto's HASP installed), OFF, and the other sim we don't mention by name. Not a bad collection for a propeller head like me. :drinks:

Well, next Sims will be medieval.

Yeah... how about that... lol.

I don't know - the original Sims was quirky and I enjoyed the design tools from an architectural standpoint. I haven't played any of the newer ones from Sims 3 on - they seem a bit to... pop for me? They're so slick and smooth now that they've lost a lot of their old charm, at least for me.

Besides, I enjoy flaming planes a lot more than I do telling a Sim to go to the bathroom lol. :rofl:

@ Widow: Turns out all I needed to do was reboot the PC and set the dgvoodoo settings to the ones posted at Wings of Honor: http://www.wingsofho...ooglideemulator

The "Old Gal" runs beautifully! As you can see from my collection, I play all of the latest WWI sims (OFF is still my favorite for raw immersion) but it is a nice feeling to have RB back on the computer. Somehow the world seems more right (I know, I'm crazy).

Which also means I have the entire collection - at least what I played growing up - Wings of Glory, Red Baron 3D (With Otto's HASP installed), OFF, and the other sim we don't mention by name. Not a bad collection for a propeller head like me. :drinks:

Is the SDOE based Fighter Squadron WWI in there? It's free.. FS-WWI

IIRC there's an Austrailian website that has the original Parsoft SDOE game in a downloadable .iso so you can pick up the rest of the new old mods ongoing for SDOE.

Wow - they all run in a normal time?

Wolfenstein 3D was a very great one in it's time - lots of levels and diversity.

But I don't see another of my favourites from the more recent years: STALKER.

Worth a try.

Wow - they all run in a normal time?

Wolfenstein 3D was a very great one in it's time - lots of levels and diversity.

But I don't see another of my favourites from the more recent years: STALKER.

Worth a try.

They sure do! Which is something that they definitely did not do when I first bought this computer and it ran Windows Vista. I've decided to basically lock the system down at this point. I'm making an image of the HD as it exists right now and as far as I'm concerned, I'm not touching any more driver updates for my card - besides, the rig is nearly three years old, so how much of an improvement would a new set of drivers make anyway?

Wolfenstein 3D was my first PC game. My mother bought it at college (she went back for a nursing degree when I was an early teenager) and came home with a Shareware floppy of the first episode. It got me hooked on computer gaming. I have it and every expansion I could find all running in Dos Box.

Is the SDOE based Fighter Squadron WWI in there? It's free.. FS-WWI

IIRC there's an Austrailian website that has the original Parsoft SDOE game in a downloadable .iso so you can pick up the rest of the new old mods ongoing for SDOE.

You know, I never did get into SDOE or FS-WWI, I was so tied up with European Air War, Falcon 4.0, and Red Baron at the time. The models look pretty good though, I'll have to research that one next. :grin:

European Air War was great. Also 1942: The Pacific Air War by Microprose.

"And, while I'm being honest, there were a few games that didn't work: ... MiG Alley."

I miss MiG Alley. Are there any games out there that cover Korea well? I haven't looked for a while.

Mig Alley runs just fine in W7_Ultimate 64 and Nvidia card. The BDG patch adds full Trackir functions and quite simply reinvents the sim.

plug_nickel

Mig Alley runs just fine in W7_Ultimate 64 and Nvidia card. The BDG patch adds full Trackir functions and quite simply reinvents the sim.

plug_nickel

I'll have to give that a go next! This just keeps getting better and better! :drinks:

EDIT: Just did some digging, where would I find the MA and BDG patches? Google seems to be failing me this time...

Edited by _CaptSopwith

Does anyone know "SABRE ACE - Conflict over Korea" ?

I used to play it for a while and found (back then) it looked quite good.

Thanks for all that info CaptSopwith.

I'm gonna try that Under a Killing Moon....and I'd love to find the epic Strike Fighters.

My first pc game was Wolf3d too.....Those days were just a revolution!..yes, games are great these days...but we felt like pioneers traversing a new mountain of exploration in those days!....wow