Sign in to follow this  
devere

Wingman commands?

Hi all,

I am trying to get back into FE1 after an extended time in RoF's virtual skies, but I am struggling. My main issue is my wingmen - they seem to just line up like ducks to be shot down, and not a lot else. I cannot for the life of me find any commands to make them do much else other than this death ride flight. :suicide:

In 15 sorties I have only twice had them actually tangle with the enemy, and even then they were toast in a matter of minutes. Whilst RoF wingmen are dumb they at least try to survive. This is absolutely ruining any fun I used to find in this game for me at the present. I'm using Petero1s FM's, and everything is set to realistic, enemy set to Hard.

And one last quick question - is my aircraft weaker in both build strength and performance compared to the enemy AI controlled aircraft?

Make sure you have the latest patches from Thirwire. I know this was fixed a long time ago. If you really want to get back into FE, buy FE2. its much better.

Devere,

I'm not sure if you have this option in FE1, as I fly FEG which provides wingman commands with the TAB key, which allows you to choose one of four options: Engage Air, Engage Land, Regroup, Return to Base. As enemy fighters approach I use Regroup until my flight gets some sort of alt advantage whenever possible. HTH

Not at all sure about your last quick question, the answer to which I would like to know myself.

Cheers, Grinseed

My apologies - I am actually flying FEG. I keep calling it FE1 because of the forum title.

Thank you Grinseed - just what I was looking for. I really could not find it in the controls section or manual. Maybe its my memory but I was sure my wingies used to engage of their own free will? Finally got my flight of spads into a great position above a gaggle of albitri, hit TAB, ordered them to attack and watched them peel off and into combat. They actually even managed to bag a couple.

Quack74 - I'm still on XP so not sure I will see the benefits of FE2, especially as it is now confirmed there will not be any further expansions.

Still think there is something rum about my A/C FM verses the AI tho. During that fight I was actually being out climbed by an albatros at one point, when a wingie came happily climbing up past both of us!!! Plus it takes only a few hits on my A/C to lose an aileron, I have to hose an enemy AC in lead before the same happens. Most rum indeed.

Thanks again guys,

Devere.

If you really want to get back into FE, buy FE2. its much better.

Could you give a bit more detail, please? I am in the same position. Also, will I be able to use my old FE addon a/c and repaints?

FE2 is an upgrade in so many ways,grafix,AI,FM,ease of modding just to name a few. 99% of the current mods work fine with either no or miner tweeking.Some are pains in the @ss though.There are a few differences in how the game is modded but once you learn the basics it's far easier.Look in the knowlegebase here and the SF2 KB as SF2 is very similar in how it's modded.

FE2 is an upgrade in so many ways,grafix,AI,FM,ease of modding just to name a few. 99% of the current mods work fine with either no or miner tweeking.Some are pains in the @ss though.There are a few differences in how the game is modded but once you learn the basics it's far easier.Look in the knowlegebase here and the SF2 KB as SF2 is very similar in how it's modded.

I was using FEG, too. Then I decided to try FE2 after some folks recommended it. I, too, have XP. All's I can say is...

WHAT A FRIKKIN DIFFERENCE! The whole game just flies better and is much more challenging. Your crew may still get shot down, but they usually do trying to keep the enemy off your tail.

Now it is set up differently on your PC- aircraft are stored in a different location apart from the program part... but if a techno slob like I could do it, you can. The folks on here are glad to help. And with all the downloadable A/C, you can fly just about anything.

Thank you. Maybe I'll give FE2 a try.