Sign in to follow this  
Pawgy

Quick Scenarios are more difficult?

I have found that when flying a Quick Scenario mission the planes are much more difficult to control. The Sopwith camel and the Sopwieth triplane stall much easier and are very difficult to fly..

I am not at all competitive with the AI in Quick seceario like I am in Quick combat.

It also seem like Quick combat from the CFS3 in workshop is the easiest.

I thought if i selected the various easy settings in the workshop that they would apply to both Quick combat and Quick Scenario but evidently they do not.

Also is ther a way to create mor Quick scenarios and have the workshop settings apply?.

Tch! Quick scenarios!

To fly a full mission without any TAC and Labels, and come back alive - that's hard. :cool:

But seriously now: I never noticed that, cause I don't fly "quickies".

(I don't say, I never did them. But not in a scout!) :grin:

Possibly because you start at greater height in the scenarios. You need to quickly adjust mixture or drop to lower alt where your craft will perform much better. WW1 craft have very different performance at altitude, some are terrible. Many dogfights entailed dropping down onto your unspecting enemy rather than circling at 18k feet where performance would be poor.

The DH5 was one example of a bad performer at altitude. CFS3 QC will usuallty not have friendly / enemy lines defined (i.e. everything other than your start field and start field ground units will be an enemy in CFS3 old QC).

Possibly because you start at greater height in the scenarios. You need to quickly adjust mixture or drop to lower alt where your craft will perform much better. WW1 craft have very different performance at altitude, some are terrible. Many dogfights entailed dropping down onto your unspecting enemy rather than circling at 18k feet where performance would be poor.

The DH5 was one example of a bad performer at altitude. CFS3 QC will usuallty not have friendly / enemy lines defined (i.e. everything other than your start field and start field ground units will be an enemy in CFS3 old QC).

Thank you for the reply. I will check the altitude in my next flight. In Quick Seneraio you can not set the altitude as in QC ???

So I guess I did not pay attention. the AI in QS seems stronger than in QC and CFS3 QC. It may be because there are too many plames for my system to keep up with. It is a wonderful sim though. ANd i can shoot down more than gets me with the easy settings ,especially in workshop Cfs3 QC.

Olham said==== Tch! Quick scenarios!

To fly a full mission without any TAC and Labels, and come back alive - that's hard. =====

Much tooo hard for me. I would not last an instant under attack.

Pawgy

Edited by Pawgy

You should try 1916 - not so many enemy flights.

And there is a time BEFORE getting under attack.

If you fly careful and aware enough, you will spot the enemy flight, before they spot you.

And then you must decide: do you have the advantage - or will you better run.

Even MvR ran away, if he was in a disadvantage. Survival! Try it.

Pawgy

I highly recommend the following method of training on how to fly a particular crate.

1. Setup a Quick Combat with just you and 1 enemy aircraft - set to Veteran (or Ace if you feel confident) at 10,000 feet

2. Do your best to get on his tail and stay there...without shooting for as long as you possibly can. 3 minutes at least. 5 is better. The goal is not to shoot him down, it's to learn what you need to do in that airplane to stay on his six.

3. Once you can stay on his six within shooting range (but not firing) for 3 to 5 minutes consistently, try it again bumping his skill up to Ace.

4. Once you can do that with an Ace, add a second Enemy Aircraft (probably need to set them both to Veteran skill again) and try to stay on your targets six o'clock without letting his wingman get you into his sights.

5. Finally, practice switching between targets as the opportunity presents itself. Once you can switch targets at will and avoid getting target fixation while hunting an enemy - start shooting them down.

TIP: The more manueverable your plane is, the closer you can follow them without them losing you to a sudden manuever. If their plane is more manueverable than yours, then follow at a further distance to give you time to react to his sudden twists and turns.

TIP: Never follow an enemy aircraft so far into a climb that you stall out unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that there are no other enemy aircraft around to take advantage of your nearly motionless state. You are completely defensely in a stall and until you get enough speed to manuever again.

For shooting rules I generally use the following:

1. Master your throttle as a means to control the distance between you and your target. Throttle control is one of the greatest keys to firing success.

2. When you are able to maintain an ideal shooting distance for yourself, only open fire when the target appears nearly motionless (relative to your plane) in your gunsights for at least 3 seconds. You need time to get multiple rounds into his plane, not just one or two.

If most people have a 20% accuracy rate, then you need to fire off 50 rounds just to get 10 bullets into his plane. In a one second panic firing burst you will be lucky if a single round hits. How much good did you actually do?

3. Fire short bursts and aim for the engine or the pilot.

4. Never use panic fire! If you are afraid that if you don't shoot now you will miss, then don't shoot. If its that short of a window to fire, you will probably only hit with a round or two at best and likely do little damage while wasting precious bullets. Some people map the spacebar for guns to help.

5. Get in the habit of checking your six quickly before opening fire on a target. I always say - "You die when you think you are the hunter but really you are the prey". Make sure nobody else is lining up on you.

6. If an enemy aircraft is closing in to a potential firing position on you, break off from your current target no matter what and, if possible, manuever to put this new aggressor on the defensive.

7. Know your planes ability to turn away. The closer you can get to the enemy before you shoot, the more damage you will likely do...but you have to know how much time your plane needs to climb above, dive under or turn away from your target to avoid mid air collisions.

8. Never fire on an enemy airplane that is in a dive, especially from directly behind. You have little chance of hitting the pilot, no chance to hit the engine and a reduced chance of hitting anything at all. Wait until he pulls up and exposes his engine and himself. If he doesn't pull up, your problem solves itself, so be patient and just follow him down at a bit of a distance. When he pulls up, it will likely be right into your gunsights view.

Happy hunting and I hope some of that helps. They are the rules for engagement that I have developed for myself and they seem to work quite well for me no matter if it's WWI or WWII fighters. Once you get good at throttle control, avoiding panic fire and flying and waiting for just that moment when your opponent will be nearly motionless right in front of your gun(s), you will be able to raise your % accuracy to ridiculous levels. 50% - 60%+ regularly. When you get good at hitting the pilot or the engine, it becomes possible to shoot planes down in as little as 7 - 10 rounds fired, though obviously this is still difficult.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Thank you for the reply. I will check the altitude in my next flight. In Quick Seneraio you can not set the altitude as in QC ???

Pawgy

No Pawgy these are already setup scenarios for quickness - no messing with settings etc that's the idea of them. Of course others can create or edit the missions or edit the xml of ones already there to change the height so when you leap into one it's different.

Missions as I think I mentioned before are by default in C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\missions\scenarios and under folders for each country (so whatever country your pilot is created for will see only his country missions).