Sign in to follow this  
Adger

Thanks, and a question

Hi guys,sorry hope i havent upset anyone with my topic title :grin:,i ordered Off 3 couple of days ago and im now in process of playing the waiting game :cry:

im new to the forum,but just wanted 2 say again,that ive never ever come across a more helpfull and interesting group of forum members anywhere

just quick question guys,ive allready said in a previous article that i tried ROF demo and didnt enjoy it,do many of you guys play it

,and what do you members,think will happen when the campaign mode comes out (they reckon the next patch) thanks v much for reading my article and hopefully il see you all up there soon

:flyer:

Well as a matter of courtesy we try to avoid the "us vs them" posts because basically people who prefer OFF:BH&H are here in this forum and people who prefer RoF are over at SimHQ in their forum. So the answers you get are going to basically depend on which forum you ask it in and some folks can get pretty defensive about the idea that someone else is criticizing their favorite sim. Frankly, if you've already settled on OFF:BH&H (which is great!) then it doesn't really matter what the other flight sims on the market do. As someone who regularly flies both sims, I can tell you what really matters is that you find you are getting what you want out of the sim that you are flying in that moment. If you find a group of people you can share your enthusiasm with, even better and you will definately get that here in spades.

I don't think anyone here at OFF is anymore concerned about RoFs next patch than the RoF fans are of the upcoming OFF: Phase 4. They're pretty much two seperate worlds and that seems to work just fine.

Hellshade

If anyone wants RoF, I have a copy, Iron Cross Edition..whatever that indicates..tried just once. Not my "cup of tea".

Please PM with your address and the first response I get I'll send it you.

Regards,

Royce

:good: Good explanation, Hellshade.

:good: Good response, Adger - oh, and welcome to OFF! Hope you're wait is not too long.

I like watching Hellshade's RoF footage on youtube. Some talented fellow on youtube also used RoF to make stellar movies about Werner Voss and Red Baron's last flights, highly recommended.

This isn't really the place for me to say how I feel about the sim itself though. Frankly I'm glad WW1 sims are being made at all, and we're fortunate to have both OFF and RoF. I do think, and most RoFers will agree, that Flanders Fields is geared much moreso to the WW1 aviation historians, the people who grew up hearing and reading about Werner Voss taking on Britain's elite fighter squadron single handed. My friends and I were reading and studying the Dicta Boelcke when I was 12 years old because we found it quite applicable to the space fighter pilot themed MUSH (ancestor of modern MMOs) we played on. When I traveled abroad I'd log online to the Aerodrome and read about the aces, or read online copies of The Red Fighter Pilot and Flying the Fighting Circus.

RoF appeals more to people who like hardcore flight sims. Flight Simulator X, IL-2, anything with meticulous detailing of flight models.

We all belong to the category "flight sim enthusiasts" but differ in the specifics of what we look for. It's like this. I bought IL-2 when it came out in 2001, and that same year I bought Rowan's Battle of Britain. And I played BoB a hell of a lot more, and also read the excellent BoB history book The Most Dangerous Enemy and used to spend time on the BoB Historical Society website reading day to day accounts of the battle.

My friend'd give me a hard time. He'd say the damage model in BoB wasn't as good as IL-2s, which it wasn't, and that IL-2s planes were more accurate. Which they probably were. But I wasn't in it for the flight models like he was, I was in it for the experience and IL-2s small scale, scripted dogfights didn't ignite my imagination the way BoB did.

That's pretty much how I view OFF and ROF. That same friend btw plays Rise of Flight today, which is very fitting. We both dig flight sims but we differ in what exactly we look for in them.

...i ordered Off 3 couple of days ago and im now in process of playing the waiting game :cry:

We know how you must suffer. It's part of the pilots' training, you know?

Strengthening your patience; your ability to hold on waiting for the right moment for an attack,

instead of pouncing like a total rookie. Saves lives, you know?

:grin:

Good answers, Hellshade and cptroyce.

You can only know if you'd like a game or a sim, when you try it out.

I am a great fan of "STALKER" and cannot understand, why some others, who like "FALLOUT 3",

do not like it at all. Computer games and Sims must combine with your own imagination, with

your likes for colours, for the whole way a scene, a scenario is "painted".

It is really like with arts, with paintings. Everyone has a different taste.

I realised, that a more photo-realistic overall look does NOT make a sim feel better.

More attractive at first sights, yes, may be. But then comes the acid test:

does it "draw you into it's world"?

The degree of possible immersion with a game or a sim is the point IMHO.

You'll find out soon.

Thanks to all that replied,ure all absolutely right,like i said i didnt want to stir anything up,i just wondered being a newbie if many of you tried ROF an what u thought

i still believe ive made the right choice,the dynamic campaign is what sold OFF to me,as well as the idea of me actually getting some kind of idea of what it must have been like for

them guys up there at that time (makes me shiver) the last truly great campaign was probably Falcon 4 (FREEFALCON} i recently purchased D.C.S A10 excellent flight sim,

realistic,(maybe 2 realistic) but no dynamic campaign,its never been about fancy graphics for me (gunship,knights of sky,F19) but playability,i dont know what the campaign is like

in OFF yet,but i know i wont be dissapointed,all being well i shall see you all up there soon,:flyer: Adger over and out.

I am honestly not much of a gamer myself, and have only ever found interest in the WWI / WWII flight sims, with the former being my favorite by far. I would try RoF if I had a computer to support it properly, but from what I've read and seen it seems all about eye candy and FM so I imagine I would become bored with it in short order. Dynamic campaigns are still what keep my attention, and OFF is second to none in that. Plus, it's got eye candy to boot. :smile:

Thanks RAF_LOUVERT ,only ever really played one ww1 flight sim,that was Knights,i seem to have missed the RED BARON games (dunno how i missed em) heard they were very good

yeah the dynamic campaign is really what swung it.ive been playin a bit of OFF phase 2 and liked what i saw,ive been told that phase 3 is twice the game that phase 2 was,if thats true

then i know im in for a treat thanks once again for your insight Adger over and out.

Please, call me Lou, and then fetch me a nice hot cup of coffee with just a nip of Tullamore Dew. New lads buy the drinks you know!

:drinks:

Cheers!

Adger, I also missed "Red Baron 3D", but I know why: I listened to others.

Here in Germany , the game magazines said it was crapp.

I will never follow the oppinions of others so easily anymore - I now prefer to find out myself.

Above and beyond all combat, I like flying. Combat is incidental; as it was with real sorties, which mostly involved flying around. A very small portion of a sortie involved fighting. Maintaining altitudes, headings, monitoring engine temps, navigating, etc., that's what I really love. If I get a chance to flame a plane amongst all that or bomb something, so much the better.

I agree eye candy isn't everything but 'tis important; every sim strives to improve it and for me, dated graphics and models are a huge immersion killer. From my observations, calls of "eye candy ain't everything" usually come from fans of sims that have less than others. RB3D had a great campaign but no way on earth I'd fly it today, even if that relic would run on this machine.

RoF's campaigns are a series of scripted missions made to replicate a specific career, such as Ernst Udet's. Their "career" is what most people call a "campaign": you join a unit and fly missions that may include some historic aspects but much of the flight involves random occurences. A new career mode is what RoF is working on. At the moment, RoF's career is pretty stale and OFF's is much more--what's the overused media phrase today, besides "the fact that"?--comprehensive. It has some quirky missions here and there (Jastas going deep across the lines to strafe an airfield) but overall it is excellent. RoF's new career that's on the brink of release (two weeks be sure) looks to be fantastic. From the screenshots I've seen and the info I've read, how can it be bad? I can't imagine why anybody would want it to be bad. :dntknw: At the very least, how can it be worse than what's there? It can't be, unless it crushes the sim into the disaster of CoD. And great as RoF's new career turns out, it won't replace OFF. Why should it?

In my world, it's not either-or, it's both. Actually, it's all, since I have First Eagles, too. Well, I guess I don't have them all, as I don't fly Richthofen's Skies or the SDOE WW1 sim. Tried 'em both, but they didn't last. Point being that I love airplanes and flying too much to deprive myself of as many sims as possible.

...It has some quirky missions here and there (Jastas going deep across the lines to strafe an airfield)...

When I get one of those "non-realistic" missions, I always press either "optional flight", or even "advance time".