Sign in to follow this  
iranianace

SP1 Internal Mission Recorder

I know that SP1 has no internal mission recoder but is there any add-on for it?

It should be internal, not external so that we can play back the mission and have the option to view it from different points, like the mission recoder in Lock-On.

Please advise. Thanks.

it is impossible to have a mission recorder for the SF series. The best you can do is record the flight using third party solutions such as FRAPS.

IMPOSSAIBLE is a rellative term. I came to this "GAME" by way of IL-2 Sturmovik and if it IS POSSABLE thier it has to be here, I dont know how but SOME one in this group IS SMART enough to do it.As for my carrier cat question I feel the same way only I think it can be done ,I'm working on it!

The game developer went in depth in a forum a long time ago about why his sim didn't and wouldn't ever have a mission recorder. Now if you could build a program that could run his game in a shell and knew where to find all of the necessary variables, and record them at the same rate they were being generated, then you could do it. Most other flight sims are deterministic, meaning that the exact same inputs produce the exact same outputs, so all you have to do is record some key inputs to a mission file and the rest can be reconstructed real time in the "mission viewer". TK's game is non-deterministic and he went in depth about how that made a mission recorder completely impractical. Too many variables to track and the bottleneck of writing files to a hard drive would grind the game to a stop. He had to reduce settings and object counts for multiplayer just to keep the frame rates playable with low lag. But if you think you are smarter than the guy who made the game, knock yourself out and make a mission recorder, which will also require making a tool to play it back without game developer support.

What I could see being done if someone had the patience to reverse engineer the game's memory mapping while running, would be to record the x, y, and z co-ordinates of every aircraft and missile at 1 fps to produce simple plots for post mission analysis. If that didn't slow down the game, then you could go for pitch, roll, and heading as well. If that didn't slow down things too much, then you could try logging ground units, etc. But without game developer support to expose these variables to outside programs, you would have to be very determined to reverse engineer the game. I would love to see someone succeed at this, but I don't think anyone has the time or skills to do it in a reasonable amount of time and therefore will never do it.

Edited by streakeagle

Also considering the fact that the 1stGen games are "a done deal"... it's unlikely that any upgrades -of any kind- will be forthcoming, ever, for their future.

So, the alternative is something like FRAPS. Just how it is

wrench

kevin stein

Given the kind of mod community this game has attracted, if a third party mission recorder was plausible, it would already be done.