Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

OT: A Few More Volumes Have Found Their Way To My Shelves

Greetings All,

Over the last three weeks I've had the good fortune to add several new-old WWI books to my collection.

The first is a near-perfect 1916 1st edition of Robert W. Service's collection of poems, "Rhymes of a Red Cross Man". For those who might not be familiar with his work, you owe it to yourselves to read a few of his verses. He is one of the masters of the genre.

The next is General John 'Black Jack' Pershing's memoirs, "My Experiences in the World War". A large 2-volume work, the set I managed is the 1931 1st edition in their original dust jackets.

The last is "The People's War Book and Atlas", published in 1920 and another 1st edition in wonderful shape. It's a mixed collection of various Great War articles, photos, and maps, but with one very significant claim to fame. Every copy sold has, at the front, a photo of Lt. Col. William A. 'Billy' Bishop, and is signed by the famed Canadian ace himself, (not a facsimilie).

All of these were excellent finds, and combined cost me less than $40. Great bargains and then some!

So, as of today, my library catalogue reads as follows.

Personal Narratives and Biographies:

"A Flying Fighter", E.M. Roberts, (1918 1st Edition)

"Airmen O' War", Boyd Cable, (1918 1st Edition)

"An Airman Marches", Harold Balfour, (Vintage Aviation Library Edition)

"An Airman's Outings", Alan 'Contact' Bott, (1917 1st Edition)

"An Aviator's Field-Book", Oswald Bolcke, English Translation, (1917 1st Edition)

"A Rattle Of Pebbles: The First World War Diaries Of Two Canadian Airmen", Brereton Greenhous, (1987 1st Edition)

"Beyond the Tumult", Barry Winchester, (1971 1st Edition)

"Cavalry of the Clouds", Alan 'Contact' Bott, (1918 1st Edition)

"Cloud Country", Jimmie Mattern, (1936 Pure Oil 1st Edition) 3-volume set

"Days on the Wing", Willy Coppens, English Translation, (1931 1st Edition)

"Death in the Air", William Heinemann, (1933 Edition) (famous faked aerial photos)

"Double-Decker C.666", Haupt Heydemarck, English Translation, (1931 1st Edition)

"En L'air!", Bert Hall, (1918 1st Edition)

"Fighting the Flying Circus", Edward Rickenbacker, (1919 1st Edition)

"Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps", James McCudden, (1918 1st Edition)

"Flying for France", James McConnell, (1917 1st Edition)

"Go Get 'Em!", William Wellman, (1918 1st Edition)

"Guynemer, Knight of the Air", Henry Bordeaux, English Translation, (1918 1st Edition)

"Heaven High, Hell Deep", Norman Archibald, (1935 Signed 1st Edition)

"High Adventure", James Norman Hall, (1918 1st Edition)

"Immelmann: The Eagle of Lille", Franz Immelmann, English Translation, (1930 1st Edition)

"In The Clouds Above Bagdad", J.E. Tennant, (1920 1st Edition)

"Kitchener's Mob", James Norman Hall, (1916 1st Edition)

"Letters From a Flying Officer", Rothsay Stuart Wortlrey, (1928 1st Edition)

"Memories of World War 1", William Mitchell, (1960 Edition)

"My Experiences in the World War", John J. Pershing, (1931 1st Edition) 2-volume set

"Night Bombing with the Bedouins", Robert Reece, (Battery Press Edition)

"Nocturne Militaire", Elliot White Springs, (1934 Edition)

"No Parachute", Arthur Gould Lee, (1970 1st US printing)

"Rovers of the Night Sky", W.J. 'Night-Hawk' Harvey, (Vintage Aviation Library Edition)

"Sagittarius Rising", Cecil Lewis, (1936 Edition, 1st US printing)

"Stepchild Pilot", Joseph Doerflinger, (1959 1st Edition)

"The Flying Poilu", Marcel Nadaud, English Translation (1918 1st Edition)

"The Red Knight of Germany", Floyd Gibbons, (1927 1st Edition)

"The Way of the Eagle", Charles Biddle, (1919 1st Edition)

"Up And At 'Em", Harold Hartney, (1940 1st Edition)

"War Birds; Diary of an Unknown Aviator", Elliot White Springs, (1926 1st Edition)

"Whom The Gods Love", Lewis C. Merrill, (1953 1st Edition)

"Wind in the Wires", Duncan Grinnell-Milne, (1918 1st Edition)

"Winged Warfare", William Bishop, (1918 1st Edition)

"Winged Peace", William Bishop, (1940 1st Edition)

"With the Earth Beneath", A.R. Kingsford, (1936 1st Edition)

"With the Flying Squadron", Harold Rosher, (1916 1st Edition)

History, Reference, and General Interest Books:

"A World Undone: The Story of the Great War 1914 to 1918", G.J. Meyer, (2006 Edition)

"Air Aces of the 1914-1918 War", Bruce Robertson, (1964 Edition)

"Aircraft of Today", Charles Turner, (1917 1st Edition)

"Aviation in Canada 1917-18", Alan Sullivan, (1919 1st Edition)

"Colliers New Photographic History of the World War", (1917 Edition)

"Decisive Air Battles of the First World War", Arch Whitehouse, (1963 1st Edition)

"Fighter Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War", W.M. Lamberton, (1964 Edition)

"Flying The Old Planes", Frank Tallman, (1973 Edition)

"Fragments From France", Bruce Bairnsfather, (1917 1st Edition) (Great War cartoons by the master of the genre)

"Heros of Aviation", Laurence La Tourette Driggs, (1919 1st Edition)

"High in the Empty Blue", Alex Revell, (1995 1st Edition with author's signature card)

"Historic Airships", Rupert Holland, (1928 1st Edition)

"History and Rhymes of the Lost Battalion", L.C. McCollum, (1929 Edition)

"History of the World War", Francis March, (1918 1st Edition)

"History of the Great World War", Rolt-Wheeler and Drinker, (1919 1st Edition)

"Land and Water" Magazine, (entire April through September 1917 series, hard bound, ex-library copy)

"Ludendorff's Own Story", Erich Ludendorff, (1919 1st Edition)

"National Geographic" Magazine, (entire 1918 series, hard bound, ex-library copy)

"Reconnaissance & Bomber Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War", W.M. Lamberton, (1962 Edition)

"Rhymes of a Red Cross Man", Robert W. Service, (1916 1st Edition)

"Source Records of the Great War", (1923 1st Edition) 7-volume set

"The First War Planes", William Barrett, (1960 Edition) (the one that started it all for me)

"The Great Air War", Aaron Norman, (1968 Edition)

"The Great War", George H. Allen, (1919 1st Edition) 5-volume set

"The Great War in the Air", Edgar Middleton, (1920 1st Edition) 4-volume set

"The Imperial Russian Air Service, Famous Pilots and Aircraft of World War One", Alan Durkota, (1996 1st Edition)

"The Lafayette Flying Corps", by James Hall and Charles Nordhoff, (1964 Kennikat Press limited edition two-volume set)

"The People's War Book and Atlas", (1920 1st Edition, signed by Lt. Col. William A. Bishop)

"The United States in the Great War", Willis Abbot, (1919 1st Edition)

"The U.S. Air Service in World War I", Maurer Maurer, (1978 1st Edition) 4-volume set

"The War in the Air", Raleigh and Jones, (1st Edition) 9-volume set including map cases, (originally in the military library at Whitehall; my personal Jewel of the Crown)

"The Western Front from the Air", Nicholas C. Watkis, (1999 1st Edition)

"Time-Life Epic of Flight", 23-volume set, (not old and not strictly WWI but still a lot of good info and photos)

"True Stories of the Great War", (1918 1st Edition) 6-volume set

"U.S. Official Pictures of the World War", Moore and Russell, (1924 1st Edition) 4-volume set

"1920 World Book Encyclopedia", (entire set with addendums, great for cross-referencing in a contemporary context)

Instructional Books:

"Aeroplane Construction and Operation", John Rathbun, (1918 1st Edition)

"English-French War Guide for Americans in France", Eugene Maloubier, (1918 Edition)

"Learning to Fly in the U.S. Army", E.N. Fales, (1917 1st Edition)

"Lewis Machine Gun 'Airplane Type' Service and Operation Manual", (1918 Edition)

"Manual Of Rigging Notes Technical Data", (1918, possible reprint)

"Practical Flying", W.G. Minnies, (1918 1st Edition)

"The Art of Reconnaissance", David Henderson, (1916 1st Edition)

"Science of Pre-Flight Aeronautics", (1942 Edition)

"Self-Help for the Citizen Soldier", Moss and Stewart, (1915 1st Edition)

Me so happy. :smile:

Lou

Damn, Lou, I hope these books are not responsible, that you come here less?

But hey - congrats anyway!

Wow...that's some collection Lou...and some 1st editions too. Your interest seems real focused on WWI. I have a good amount of history books but they're all over the place as far as time periods/wars, etc. You could probably sell your books and put a down payment on a plane.

Thanks Shiloh, I have indeed focused on WWI 1st editions over the years. However, I do have many many other books relating to other wars and subjects. And if I sold off my WWI library I could buy a brand new UL outright. :biggrin:

Thanks Olham to you as well. Also, no, the books are not the reason for my lack of time in the forums. That would be work and travel keeping me away from you folks and out of the OFF skies.

So you're kept away through your work - and me, I can't fly because of the mobo still underway.

I'm sure you will worship the fewer hours you can fly now even more. What's a UL ?

Olham, 'UL' is short for ultralight aircraft, which are a class of planes that you do not need a pilot's license to fly. Weighing in at 254 pounds or less, (empty), and with a top speed not to exceed 55 knots, they are a lot of fun to fly. I particularly like the pusher designs as they give you a great view, (flown a few of them over the years). Also, there are numerous WWI styles fliting about, and it would be one of those I'd like to own one day. Here is a great little E.III:

eindecker.jpg

Sweet! :smile:

Damn, Lou, you Americans have so many great things we still don't have here.

I would love to share an Eindecker UL with someone, but here, the cheapest UL

are far too expensive for me, or you may fly a kite-like thing for less, which looks silly.

Then there are tons of rules and regulations you'd sure have to learn first.

And definitely far less open space (although Ostfriesland might be okay).

Will you ever get yourself such an Eini?

Beats me. I have about six of the books on your list, only 2 first editions. A very impressive library.

Many thanks Gordohk and Carrick. I've been working on my library for a good many years now.

Olham, sorry to hear that UL's haven't made much of an appearance in your country. As to the kite-like planes, they may look silly but they are a blast to fly. Here is the UL project I started about four years ago, but have had on hold for quite a while, (due to raising a family, work, travel, and such). I am hoping to get back to it this summer.

The proposed aeroplane when finished:

ultralight_DH1.jpg

Fuselage, engine, stabilizer, and undercarriage assembly, (sans wings, elevator, rudder, trailing arms, cowling, etc):

ultralight_photo_01.jpg

Yours truly trying out the "fit":

ultralight_steve_seated.jpg

And when it finally gets finished I will be able to take off and land right behind the barn. Someday...someday. :smile:

Lou

Nice work. But you're going to need a Lewis for your fighter, Lou. Do they sell them at eBay? :grin:

Yeah, I remember to have seen the bottom pic from you. I hope you can finish it some day.

Looks like a fake DH-2 "Razor" so to say. Should be fun!

Hee, hee. Hasse Wind, if I put a Lewis on that kite it will have to be built out of balsa wood, (the gun that is, not the plane).

Olham, a "DH-2 Razor" is precisely what it will be. :biggrin:

One thing gets me worried, Lou - the landing gear doesn't seem to have any suspension?

Don't break your back at landings!

Actually Olham, the tempered aluminum tubing I am using for the axle and the diagonal supports, (and for the trailing arms which are not yet fitted), is quite "springy" and will absorb a lot of the shock on a hard landing, as will the BMX bike wheels. Of course, I am hoping there won't be too many hard landings.

Okay, I hope so - wouldn't want to lose you, Lou.

Lou:

That is an impressive library. I have probably only had about a quarter of them, but once I have read them I tend to give them away. Mostly to people on this forum, but on other forums as well as well. Oddly enough I never read "Sagittarius Rising". I ordered it this morning and it will be here in a week or so. I'll read it then probably pass it on.

Tony

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Tony. Once I have a book it is nearly impossible for me to part with it. And you will not be disappointed with "Sagittarius Rising", it is excellent. One of my personal favorites.

That aircraft you're building just blew my freaking mind. I'm not even out of college yet and my only experience with such things is flight sims so I have to ask, where in the world would one even begin learning to build such a thing?

"Sagittarius Rising" is one of the very few WW1 air combat books translated into German.

I will order it next month, when I have finished "No Parachute!"

The German title is "Schütze im Steigflug". These two titles were the most mentioned ones

here on the forum, when we were on about books about that theme.

Edited by Olham

I managed to get my hands on a 1972 edition of "Knight of Germany" by Professor Johannes Werner - the autobiography of Oswald Boelcke as translated into English by Claud W Sykes. as well as a 1968 illustrated copy of "No Parachute" by Arthur Gould Lee,

I'm working my way through seven volumes of the "Cross & Cockade" journals which I got for a tenner each - marvellous!! such information & detail, i'm still missing volumes 1, 9 & 11. plus all the stuff from the 90's & noughties but, Hey its a start!!grin.gif

Hi Olham,

So what's your impression of 'No Parachute'? I'll admit that Lee's humanity shines through, although his attitude to non-fliers (and particularly non-combatants) is clearly tinged with something other than an even handed judgement. Still; one of the most immediate reads of WWI that I've ever undertaken, and a firm favourite.

Hi Olham,

So what's your impression of 'No Parachute'? I'll admit that Lee's humanity shines through, although his attitude to non-fliers (and particularly non-combatants) is clearly tinged with something other than an even handed judgement. Still; one of the most immediate reads of WWI that I've ever undertaken, and a firm favourite.

I'm not even half through it yet - I read only one letter per day.

He was able to write in a way that I can see everything before my inner eyes.

Reading it, I'm actually there, by the canal bank for some swimming; in the air after the washout signal,

rushing around the big clouds, chasing my own shadow; and in the short, but intense moments of fight.

It is a "joy-read" for a German, because I could not sense any personal antagonism, nor does he seem

to be "propaganda-tuned". He even hates to see flamers; yes, I think he was a very human nature.

And so I find myself wishing the best for him during his scraps.

An easy read, and a most enjoyable one - the very best I've come across so far.

Edited by Olham

I just picked up They Fought For the Sky by Quentin Reynolds from the local library. It seems like a decent enough book and easy reading so I should bang through it in the next few weeks. I figured I needed to learn a few things about WWI flying as my knowledge is lacking in comparison to other wars in history.

Here's a link to it on Amazon.

That aircraft you're building just blew my freaking mind. I'm not even out of college yet and my only experience with such things is flight sims so I have to ask, where in the world would one even begin learning to build such a thing?

Javito, read and study UL construction and design manuals; go and take note of how others are built; fly them a bit to understand their basic feel; then get busy. :smile:

Shiloh, "They Fought For The Sky" is a pretty good book on the subject. I also recommend reading the personal accounts and diaries of the Great War airmen as well, many of which you will find in the WWI book downloads I put together and posted in the forum's DL section.

Lou