Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Awesome school project

My CAD teacher gave my class the introduction for a project on Friday. We're building our own balsa wood gliders, starting off with just three sheets of balsa and a blank slate. Aside from the physical model, we also have to build a 3D model of it on the computer and write up a report. Finally, we get to fly them, but not after testing our design on some software. This is one of the only projects I've ever had that's interested me. A good way to graduate, I'd say.

We can either reverse engineer the model of an actual aircraft or make our own design. Because I have little to no creative talent, I'm going to base my model on a U-2. I'm a little worried about the Dragonlady's tail. I may not have the amount of balsa needed to built it. So I'm going to improvise, probably with an F-104's tail. With any good size scrap pieces, I may build a MiG-21 or Mirage III, just to see how useless the principles of a delta wing are in gliding.

If any one is interested, once the physical model is built, I'll take some pictures.

Interesting project. Also, screenshots of the 3D model would be nice, if you do that before the real thing.

Funny, the MiG I-224 prototype seems to have a niche in powered model aircraft, as it was a stratospheric interceptor prototype with very high aspect ratio wings -- think Ta~152H -- so its a good model flier, even to scale.

MiG-21 type glider might work, and if it does, it may show high speed, which was the whole idea. :good:

If you had to do a comparative model, U~2 and F-104 would be a nice pair indeed.

The problem with jet fighters is most of them have their CoG shaped by their engine. That means a glider model will need a lot of ballast to get its CoG properly placed, which drives up the weight.

Interesting project, I hope you have fun with it. The comparison of the U-2 vs F-104 would be a good extra credit project since it was rumored that the U-2 was simply the Starfighter with long straight wings and a non afterburning engine.

Your assignment reminds me of Jr High, I spent a half semester building gliders and rubber band powered aircraft. Our final project was to be the students choice, most of my classmates tried building a paper and dope covered plane I chose to make the fastest glider I could. I spent three weeks of designing, building wind tunnel and flight testing before I got what I wanted, very stripped down, small delta wing and empenage with enough weight to carry it's momentum after a slingshot launch. All the designing was done on paper and I used A LOT of balsa before I got the thing right. I managed to get it to fly straight for 150+ feet at a launch angle of 20 degrees give or take a few. Best part was the it took little time to cover that distance.

I would have gotten a better grade than a B except I used my creation to take down this big hulking stick and paper glider that belonged to a guy that had been making fun of my dart.

fw::

I would have gotten a better grade than a B except I used my creation to take down this big hulking stick and paper glider that belonged to a guy that had been making fun of my dart.

Take down? Sounds like some more story telling is needed here.

To paraquote Mark Twain: The Story of the Old Dart.