Sign in to follow this  
Shiloh

First flight with TrackIR

I finally got my rig back today with new CPU, fired up my TrackIR for the first time and did my first flight in over a week and all I can say is wow! That was an absolutely exhilarating experience. :grin:

My neck hurts as my TrackIR wasn't calibrated just right and I had to compensate (although I had it pretty close) and I'm slightly dizzy but other than that it was a fantastic first flight. Had a quick combat 4 on 4 and more than a few times I got the enemy in my sites. It was really difficult to stay on their tails too long as I found it hard to coordinate my right hand controlling the joystick and my head movement with the TrackIR but soon enough I'll get them in sync.

I was determined to stay in cockpit view as I believe that's how I'll achieve the most immersive experience, and a few times I went into spins because I'm not used to that view and lost the horizon but all-in-all I think it was a good first flight. I was flying the Sopwith Pup and we ran into some Albatross and they were able to take out my wingmates pretty quickly. Then it was me against 3 and I held my own for about 10 minutes until one of their shots killed my pilot and the rest was history.

I know you guys have all experienced what I'm feeling right now so I won't ramble on any longer but this one flight has me hooked. I've experienced what makes OFF special and to celebrate let me buy everybody a round. :drinks:

Mmmhh - thanks for the virtual Warsteiner, Shiloh

I know how you feel now. And let me assure you - it will even grow better! You get used to this new view

more and more, and any queesyness or neck problems will not occur anymore.

I am so far now, that I can fly my Albatros more or less right, while I watch a Nieuport crossing below

my plane - I look down the right side 'till it disappears, and then down the left, to see it appearing again.

So, soon any other view would feel unnatural to you.

Sitting in the cockpit makes all the difference as I felt disconnected when doing the 3rd person view. I tried peering over the side a few times and generally had a difficult time locating the enemy but the TrackIR was a bit disorienting to start. I did feel good about keeping her pretty level overall despite losing the horizon. How you guys navigate through a lot of clouds without finding the horizon I don't know but I suppose you just get a feel for it after a while. It's probably like driving on the ice - don't turn the wheel unless you have to and keep her steady. Good flying and be safe up there. :salute:

Shiloh, enjoy your coffee while flying long distances with your TrackIR :yikes:

Safe Landings

:salute:

I can't wait to fly again. I work from home so I have to try and be disciplined but its really tempting to put stuff aside and just fly around and take in the scenery. I'll just have to make it my nighttime reward for a hard days work. :good:

Shiloh, they didn't fly into the big cumulus clouds - far too dangerous.

You can run through a not so thick cloud, if you must escape.

But on a patrol, you should go around the big ones.

Shiloh, they didn't fly into the big cumulus clouds - far too dangerous.

You can run through a not so thick cloud, if you must escape.

But on a patrol, you should go around the big ones.

Good to know Olham. It's very disorienting and with lack of gauges, it's twice as bad. This is what I look like when I come out of a cloud and realize I'm heading straight into the ground. :yikes:

Shiloh, thick clouds can be a death trap to the unwary - lots of turbulence. If you must fly through them you need to keep a sharp eye on your speed, height, and compass.

As far as TrackIr goes, it won't be long before you find yourself turning your head to check your six when watching Hellshade's videos :yes:.

Shiloh, thick clouds can be a death trap to the unwary - lots of turbulence. If you must fly through them you need to keep a sharp eye on your speed, height, and compass.

As far as TrackIr goes, it won't be long before you find yourself turning your head to check your six when watching Hellshade's videos :yes:.

That's another good point tranquillo...hadn't really though about the turbulence. I guess I've watched too many movies where they use the clouds to hide a maneuver then come in behind their enemy. I really need to read some books...maybe Lou can loan me some of his 1st editions. :grin: You would have thought they might have had some kind of basic liquid leveling device that could alert them when they were dipping their wings too much.

Hellshade makes it look so easy but it's really not. I think I have a few hundred hours of flight-time ahead of me before I'm flying at that level. As you know there are so many things to learn but I want to have patience and never forget the progression will take some time.

Edited by Shiloh

The turbulences are really simulated there, Shiloh, and they can destroy your kite.

The turbulences are really simulated there, Shiloh, and they can destroy your kite.

When I was having flying issues with the Sopwith Pup last week it was raining and there were low-lying heavy clouds. I wonder whether I was facing some real heavy turbulence? Probably so as I flew her last night and she was highly-responsive.

Yep, the Pup should behave fine normally; wonderful kite!

First pilot I ever lost was ripped to bits inside a storm cloud. Lesson learned well.

...next time your just flying along, and as you pass over No Man's Land ,and there's a huge bombardment going on down below ...

Fly down to treetop level for a looksee up close, and the instant you get there, hit ( F3) and you'll be there Salute.gif

Good tip, UncleAl. I never use "cheated views" normaly, but in this case an exception could be made for screenshots.

I would sure see the ground troops far better.

This Is really a judgement call, but next time your just flying along, and as you pass over No Man's Land ,and there's a huge bombardment going on down below. So much for the mission . . Fly down to treetop level for a looksee up close, and the instant you get there, hit ( F3) and you'll be there Salute.gif

I'll have to check that out.

First pilot I ever lost was ripped to bits inside a storm cloud. Lesson learned well.

Duly noted.

Good tip, UncleAl. I never use "cheated views" normaly, but in this case an exception could be made for screenshots.

I would sure see the ground troops far better.

This has me curious.