Sign in to follow this  
ShrikeHawk

SF2 FM for Wolf's P-38L

was playing with it a little couple of weeks ago ... flys good to me, but has 'pulling' issues on the ground. Shoudn't be torge related, as the engines cournter-rotate outwards from each other. I think it may be gear related, but couldn't run it down

wrench

kevin stein

Already existed in the AvHistory FMs pack...

Sorry, ndicki and greporyp, if I stepped on any toes. I didn't see the FMs pak.

no sweat brother!! I wouldn't worry about it!

Always good to have variety - you didn't step on anyone's toes, don't worry - I was just thinking of all the effort! If you're enthusiastic about doing flight dynamics, I'm sure there are one or two things that need a good man on...

was playing with it a little couple of weeks ago ... flys good to me, but has 'pulling' issues on the ground. Shoudn't be torge related, as the engines cournter-rotate outwards from each other. I think it may be gear related, but couldn't run it down

wrench

kevin stein

I vaguely remember hearing that somewhere before, but as I was busy on other things, I didn't think any more of it.

Working on 2048 skins for the TW Spit IX at the moment. Quite a job - the original panel lines are not desperately accurate - I'm redoing at least the most flagrant!

I vaguely remember hearing that somewhere before, but as I was busy on other things, I didn't think any more of it.

Working on 2048 skins for the TW Spit IX at the moment. Quite a job - the original panel lines are not desperately accurate - I'm redoing at least the most flagrant!

2048 skins? you related to Sundowner?:lol: i enjoy the detail but always hafta scale down to 1024 on my little compaq laptop :this:

2048 skins? you related to Sundowner?:lol: i enjoy the detail but always hafta scale down to 1024 :this:

So do I, but don't tell anyone! It's not really any more trouble doing 2048s than 1024s, so I might as well. As they're BMPs, they don't suffer from detail loss the way they would if they were dds format, for example, so it doesn't matter one way or the other. I might just try using dds for my own though, but it would not be releasable - I'd have to hack the model, and as it's a stock one, that's a no-go!

Always good to have variety - you didn't step on anyone's toes, don't worry - I was just thinking of all the effort! If you're enthusiastic about doing flight dynamics, I'm sure there are one or two things that need a good man on...

Thanks guys. I'm actually a bit compulsive about tweeking FMs, hehe. It's all good. It's where I get the most fun out of the game.

here's a trick I do when making new templates for stock or otherwise unavailable skins

assuming (oh! that word!!) the stock skin is the bottom or background layer, duplicate it, then INVERT it. Panel and rivet lines will now appear white, and be just a smidge easier to see. A LOT of guess work is still involved, but it really does help. Rivets being the biggest nightmare, the reason I didn't do them on the stock C-47

wrench

kevin stein

here's a trick I do when making new templates for stock or otherwise unavailable skins

assuming (oh! that word!!) the stock skin is the bottom or background layer, duplicate it, then INVERT it. Panel and rivet lines will now appear white, and be just a smidge easier to see. A LOT of guess work is still involved, but it really does help. Rivets being the biggest nightmare, the reason I didn't do them on the stock C-47

wrench

kevin stein

You can't see the riveting anyway, unless you make it unrealistically heavy. I did full riveting on the 109, and to be honest, it's barely perceptible. But then it is anyway, so that's OK. The same for the Spit - flush-head riveting, so really, the best technique I know is to do the actual rivets white, with a touch of shadow and then blend them in... SF doesn't have the visual sharpness I'm used to from CFS3 - that cuts both ways.

While I'm working, I actually draw the new panel lines in in bright colours rather than black, white or greys. That helps, too!

Edited by ndicki

I use Paint Shop Pro. It has a tool called PictureTube that can re-create an image as often as you like. So I made a custom one for rivets. I just create a layer on top of the base and go to work. I can change the scale for larger or smaller rivets. I can change the Step for more or fewer rivets. For long rows of them, I click where they start, move to where the rivet line ends, shft + click, and a long line of rivets appears.

With Photoshop, I've simply made a selection of brushes which do 1, 3 or 5 pixel dots at varying distances from each other. Just brush them in!

By the way, if you enjoy tweaking FMs, there are one or two ideas that need FMs doing... Like a Spitfire MkI and MkV FM for the stock TW model, or a plethora of Bf109g/k ones for Monty_CZ's S-99.... Only if you're interested!

speaking of FM ... don't forget the US Navy and all the Japanese stuff! (PTO is my theatre of choice, since my father served there)

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Oh yes - I'm interested in all of it. Right now, I'm working on Wolf's Tomahawk and Ndicki's 109E-7 (which I expect is not much different from the E-3). This can join the 109F and the P-38F I already have converted (but still testing) for the beginning of an Operation Torch planeset.

I'll go straight to the Mk1 Spitfire so it can join the Stuka and 109E-3 in the BoB planeset.

The Pacific has always been my first choice too. So I'm definitely heading in that direction too.

Actually, the Bf109e-1 and e-3 had a DB601A while the e-4 and e-7 had the DB601N, which had a higher compression ratio.

DB601 A-1Up to 1,100 PS (809 KW) at sea-level with 2,400 rpm, up to 1,020 PS (750 kW) at 2,400 rpm and 4.5 km altitude, B4 fuelDB601NUp to 1,175 PS (864 kW) at sea-level and at 4.9 km altitude with 2,600 rpm, with C3 fuel Up to 1,270 PS (934 kW) at 2.1 km altitude with 2,600 rpmFigures from Wikipedia because I couldn't be bothered to get all my books out... ;-)

Other differences were to do with the armament fit and internal plumbing, so they shouldn't have much impact on the FM. The only visible difference between the e-4 and e-7 was that by the time the e-7 came out, they'd realised that the Motorkanone wasn't going to work, and they'd faired over the cannon aperture in the spinner.

The model, by the way, is by Russo_UK - I just uploaded it and did the odd bit of fiddling about. If you want a particular skin, give me a yell; I've got the template somewhere.