Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Nviida video driver question...

Dumb question in that I know there are a hundred variables and everyone's system is different but...

What Nvidia driver do you find gives the best performance for OFF?

Downloaded the latest Nvidia offering and have experienced a 20% frame rate loss in OFF compared to my previous (and forgotten!) driver version number.

Rather then d/l and experiment with the dozens of driver versions available I hope someone here has found a driver "sweet spot."

Running an older (but quite serviceable) Nvidia 7950GT card if anyone else has this card still. Also on Windows XP.

Edit: Oops...can't fix my spelling error in the post title.

Edited by DukeIronHand

Dumb question in that I know there are a hundred variables and everyone's system is different but...

What Nvidia driver do you find gives the best performance for OFF?

Downloaded the latest Nvidia offering and have experienced a 20% frame rate loss in OFF compared to my previous (and forgotten!) driver version number.

Rather then d/l and experiment with the dozens of driver versions available I hope someone here has found a driver "sweet spot."

Running an older (but quite serviceable) Nvidia 7950GT card if anyone else has this card still. Also on Windows XP.

Edit: Oops...can't fix my spelling error in the post title.

DukeIronHand,

I am now an ATI man, but my last machine used Nvidia (8600), however I still download the Nvidia drivers for my friend who does not have the internet, he has a 9400.

Anyway, I believe that Nvidia have dropped support for all but the newest 400 and 500 series cards with their latest drivers.

I have just checked the nvidia website and their newest drivers do seem to support the 7950 - however they may have stopped adding tweaks for those cards.

Apologies for the rambling, but as a final thought try using the rollback feature in control panel to get your old driver back.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

I have an 8800 card and am running driver 182.06 with good results.

I have an 8800 card and am running driver 182.06 with good results.

Maybe I will give that one a try. Did try 197.45 and experienced graphics anomalies (blue terrain squares) and popping clouds for he first time.

And Rugbyfan1972 you are certainly correct. I have long assumed that any direct driver support for my card is done but always try new ones once in a while in the OCD quest for perfect OFF graphics. And I can't rollback because of another OCD thing of mine- unneeded file deletion. :grin:

I must forced myself to accept that newer is not always better!

When I was running my 8800GTX, after trying several newer drivers, I always came back to 260.99 WHQL. It seemed to work best for me.

plug_nickel

When I was running my 8800GTX, after trying several newer drivers, I always came back to 260.99 WHQL. It seemed to work best for me.

plug_nickel

Just d/l'ed the 182.06. I d/l the 260.99's and give them a shot also. In looking at the list those may be the ones I was using previously.

Then maybe I'll just play the damn game and stop obsessing.

Thank you gentleman!

Whatever works best with the games you play most......but if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Cheers,

Parky

Whatever works best with the games you play most......but if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Cheers,

Parky

Boy - I could get back about 3 years of my life if I could just follow that advice!

cptroyce - Interesting that the 197.45's worked fine for you. Those did not work well for me as previously stated. I can see why software programmers/hardware designers get gray hair trying to make PC games work.

So far the 260.99's seem to be best for my system though interestingly (or perhaps not) I really do not see a huge difference in any of them. Nor does changing any of the card settings in the control panel or cfs3config.exe settings as I discussed in a previous post. All the more reason to stop goofing and play...least till my new computer arrives. :lol:

EDIT: See we posted at the same time Major - maybe I'll try those if I experience any more trouble. Some of my programs (ME2 for one) needs older drivers to avoid graphic issues.

Edited by DukeIronHand