Hi, is there a way to stop planes in WOx series from ejecting thier external fuel pods and A2G weapons when going into Air combat. I heared it is possible for a Fighter to engage A2A with the external stores in real life.

Yes, is possible but is a rather extremist solution. Setting the pylons where fuel tanks are attached as not jettisonable. But doing this prevent you or AI to jettison the tanks in case of emergency.

just as an exhample:

[LeftWingtipStation2]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=3

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=-3.281,-0.175,-0.263

AttachmentAngles=0.0,-2.0,-10.0

LoadLimit=650.0

AllowedWeaponClass=FT

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=

FuelTankName=Tank170F-104

NoJettisionTank=TRUE

You have to understand that in real life the doctrine for almost all air forces is to punch off the external stores with the exception of A2A weapons. The reason is that until the third gen fighters came online fighter-bombers were either or, either you were a fighter OR you were a bomber, the weight and drag of external stores precluded a maneuvering fight. The game replicates this as close as possible, it may not be convenient in the sim but it's a frustration you have to master or work with.

Forgot, the proper term is either Jettisoning, "jetting" or "punching off" external stores, fuel tanks are not weapons, not ejecting that's what pilots and aircrew do.

And by 3rd gen fighters I mean F/A-18 and similar.

I can understand something about getting rid of A2G stuff under threat, but dropping ecm pods is another matter....

Have seen that happening too.:blink: Anything possible against that?

Houdoe,

Derk

I heared it is possible for a Fighter to engage A2A with the external stores in real life.

In this game you can probably get away with it if you are carrying AIM-9Ls at a minimum and are not going against a fighter with missiles, or something like a MiG-17F (if on post 2008 patch).

If a missile is fired at you or you are going to merge those stores have to be jettisoned - otherwise its suicide, and in RL you can damage/write off the jet by pulling panicked extreme manoeuvres in the heat of battle - another reason to ditch stores.

The only way I could see this happen in RL is if the Jet with A-G stores is carrying something like an AIM-120 with standoff capability. Even then in a BVR contest you are at a massive disadvantage against another fighter with similar missiles due to it being largely an energy contest.

The AI enemy can give a false impression - fly against a competent human pilot in the same jet online in the 1970s and you will start to see why you need every advantage to survive.

I can understand something about getting rid of A2G stuff under threat, but dropping ecm pods is another matter....

Have seen that happening too.:blink: Anything possible against that?

Houdoe,

Derk

Really - which pods on which jets - that's something I haven't seen myself. The first thing I would check is if those pods are defined as ECM pods in the weapons editor - some older 3rd party pods might have had to improvise because I dont think we had stock pods in game for a few years (dont quote me on that). Can you jettison the pods or is it just the AI that does this?

Really - which pods on which jets - that's something I haven't seen myself. The first thing I would check is if those pods are defined as ECM pods in the weapons editor - some older 3rd party pods might have had to improvise because I dont think we had stock pods in game for a few years (dont quote me on that). Can you jettison the pods or is it just the AI that does this?

Gonna try it out again, were F16's TMF with ALQ 131 's IIRC,

Houdoe,:good:

Derk