Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT-If you had a time machine

I have never seen a battle in RL, but I am convinced, it has nothing glorious like in so many films, but sounds, looks and smells more like butchery.

Which it is more or less.

So, if I said I'd like to see the battle of Armin against the Romans, I meant: from a high up position with good overview-

and enough distance so I don't get any of the smells near me.

I remember you enjoy Arte Channel: they once diffused several times an excellent documentary about this battle at Teutoburger Wald. If you have interest in what is related to Arminius and this battle, we have at the moment in France a fine comics series underway by Enrico Marini about Arminius (the blonde boy, here named Ermanamer), and his youth when grown up as a Roman and trained as a soldier. Fine work.

post-48840-0-21441700-1305556661.jpg

About 30 years ago I spent a couple of months living on a houseboat on Lake Dal, Srinigar, Kashmir. It was heaven on earth. I would like to go back to that time, before Kashmir was ravaged and re-enjoy that simplistic living for a couple of days. I wasn't married then and I'd very much like my wife to experience it with me.

I know, I'm soppy.

Nothing wrong with that m8..I would probably grab my Fishing Gear, and join you! :drinks:

I would go back to the Garden and get a peek at Eve. What did she look like ? A dark sultry look or ?

URL=http://combatace.com/gallery/image/19940-eva-green-0051/]gallery_50835_632_7720.jpg[/url]

or gallery_50835_632_3669.jpg

Edited by carrick58

OK the one time and place I'd like to time travel back to.

Martleson Heath of Spring 1909, for at least for a couple of months so I can watch ( and take photos..) of A.V. Roe while he builds and flies his first Triplane.

No big deal, no big explosions, just history being made in a small way.

A very modest and fine wish, tranquillo - very understandable to wish yourself back to "paradise".

And if Widowmaker wants to be there too, maybe he could teach me fishing with a rod, if I also came?

Although - paradise is a faint dream - we might well break it with too many of us.

Thank you for the tip, CapitaineVengeur - I like comics and will check, if they are translated already.

The battle, by the way, was not really in Teutoburger Wald, as they found some years ago, but slightly

north of it near Kalkriese, along a narrow trail between moorland and forrest hills.

The Roman track of men, horses and waggons was stretched out about 15 kilometers, and the Germans

could only win, cause they knew the terrain well, and had prepared fortified positions on the hill sides.

And because Armin had been educated and trained by the Romans, who held him as a pledge, so his

father would not fight Roman settlements.

This photo demonstrates the strength of the Roman Legions, that got slaughtered in the battle:

Edited by Olham

Nothing wrong with that m8..I would probably grab my Fishing Gear, and join you! :drinks:

A very modest and fine wish, tranquillo - very understandable to wish yourself back to "paradise".

And if Widowmaker wants to be there too, maybe he could teach me fishing with a rod, if I also came?

Although - paradise is a faint dream - we might well break it with too many of us.

UK & Olham - you are both welcome but bear in mind that I'm with my wife so you'll need your own boat :kisses:.

Paradise it was, indeed, Olham.

Widowmaker & Olham in one little fishing boat - naw, we can't do that to your paradise, tranquillo. :grin:

I'd go back to the year 1054 and observe the bright supernova that the Chinese and Arab astronomers observed for almost two years, starting in July of that year. It was said to be so bright that it was visible in broad daylight. I'd take my telescope and a good camera with me, of course. That event has fascinated me ever since I became interested in astronomy, and no human being has witnessed anything like it for centuries. The Medieval sources from Europe are completely useless, because we were living through the dark ages back then, science was practically dead and superstition and useless philosophy dominated the educated circles. Even the best scientists of the era, those living in the Arab world and China, had really no idea what they were observing, so the descriptions of the phenomenon are infuriatingly vague.

So no battles for me, thank you. :cool:

I'd gan back to Wembley and watch the Toon actually win summat cos we dont do "winning things "anymore! :prankster:

article-1187364-051615B1000005DC-294_468x327.jpg

Maybe you'd then only see that it wasn't in, Davy? :blink:

Probably go to the Book Repository...and check out if he really killed JFK?

Thank you for the tip, CapitaineVengeur - I like comics and will check, if they are translated already.

The battle, by the way, was not really in Teutoburger Wald, as they found some years ago, but slightly

north of it near Kalkriese, along a narrow trail between moorland and forrest hills.

The Roman track of men, horses and waggons was stretched out about 15 kilometers, and the Germans

could only win, cause they knew the terrain well, and had prepared fortified positions on the hill sides.

And because Armin had been educated and trained by the Romans, who held him as a pledge, so his

father would not fight Roman settlements.

This photo demonstrates the strength of the Roman Legions, that got slaughtered in the battle:

Awesome photograph! I'd love to visit Kalkriese, I know they have discovered many amazing artifacts there and have excavated what is believed to be the site of the Romans' failed final attempt to break through the Germanic lines. I do quite a lot of research into Roman history for my writing (although my specific era is mid Republican) but all this stuff fascinates me nonetheless.

Teutoburg has fascinated me since I first started reading about it as a teen and discovered it is the specific reason for the divide between 'Latin' and 'German' Europe. It amazes me how one event and the actions of the individuals on both sides who caused it can have such a profound and long-lasting effect on the history of their entire continent.

If I'm allowed a working camera, then surely any era in the past, and more or less any event would be worth capturing and returning to the 21st Century!

Specifically, and because I'm local, I'd like to have recorded evidence of the Peterloo Massacre, the Battle of Nantwich (much further south) and a snapshot of life in Lancashire/Manchester in the 17th to 19th centuries, perhaps as a slideshow!

I'm surrounded by a mass of history here in Bury, so in many ways I don't need a time machine - I live in it, if I have enough wit to go looking...

Since this is a flight sim forum, my simple reply would be I would like to go back to December 17, 1903 to Kittyhawk, N.C. for the first flight of the Wright Brothers--and for them to fix this darn bicycle of mine!

I think it'd be fun to take samples of modern technology back to the Wright Brothers. Or hell, back to Archimedes in Roman times. I for one would love to see an example of tech 100 or 2000 years from now. It'd probably be wholly indecipherable to me but that's part of the fun.

Sometimes when I mess with the iPhone 4 I just got I like to envision how a Roman farmer would react seeing a device like this and whether the concept could even begin to make sense to him.

Maybe you'd then only see that it wasn't in, Davy? :blink:

If you are on about the World Cup in 1966, gerraway - the ball was miles over the line. :grin:

I would have liked to see Newcastle United actually win the League or the Cup , something that now only seems possible to a handful of clubs in England with Newcastle no longer being one of the clubs who can do it.

... all this stuff fascinates me nonetheless.

Here are two links you may want to have a look into:

http://www.varusforschung.de/

http://www.kalkriese-varusschlacht.de/

It amazes me how one event and the actions of the individuals on both sides who caused it can have such a profound and long-lasting effect on the history of their entire continent.

Yes, indeed! Three Legions plus some Kohorts must have been a very big loss for the Romans, who also just had trouble in Palestine (as far as I remember).

I think it'd be fun to take samples of modern technology back to the Wright Brothers. Or hell, back to Archimedes in Roman times. I for one would love to see an example of tech 100 or 2000 years from now. It'd probably be wholly indecipherable to me but that's part of the fun.

Sometimes when I mess with the iPhone 4 I just got I like to envision how a Roman farmer would react seeing a device like this and whether the concept could even begin to make sense to him.

I have similar curiosity about how you might explain the concept of electricity to someone who'd never seen or heard of it before, but explain it in a way that make him sure you're not talking about some supernatural godlike entity which chooses to live behind your skirting board.

"Well, first of it's invisible, but you'll find a little bit of it is present in every living thing all around you. It is your friend, and your servant, but it has the power to kill you if you don't respect it properly. You can't kill it with weapons, but it has the power to move things, lift things, make things go on fire, and make metal machines come to life. If you do respect it properly, it will also provide warmth and light for you and your family whenever you like, wash your clothes, prepare your food, and let you see and speak to your friends who are thousands of miles away. You can also pop a little piece of the 'magic' into a little travelling case called a battery, and carry it's magical presence and power with you wherever you go. You can't see it, but it's all around the house, it's usually pretty friendly if you treat it correctly, but occassionally, you might see wild electricity jumping about in the sky, splitting trees and setting fire to church spires. But don't worry, trust me, it isn't a god. Just keep on making a little offering to the electric company once a month, life will be sweet and everything will be fine".

I might even try to sabotage the Industrial Revolution and try and halt or slow down progress. This may sound funny as I'm typing on a computer and fly flight sims but I think this world lost its "simplicity" over the last 150 years and everything moved into hyper-drive to the detriment of humans overall. Human development was somewhat steady until that point but now its on steroids.

This "progress" made the world an awful complicated place to live when way back when its was, kill something for your family to eat, plant some crops, trade with some locals folks, barter goods with your doctor when you need an appointment, walk or ride a horse to where you needed to go, etc. There were hardhips of course but at least it was a simple existence where people knew their place.

Now, off to early 20th century America to sabotage Ford's engine. :bomb:

Edited by Shiloh

I might even try to sabotage the Industrial Revolution and try and halt or slow down progress. ...

Now, off to early 20th century America to sabotage Ford's engine. :bomb:

You wouldn't stop human progress. You'd only play the ball to Buick, to the Germans, or to the Japanese.

Human progress is part of any evolution - you cannot stop it; even if it goes in bad directions.

Like you can't stop kids from burning their fingers on the stove.