Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Red River feedback

Ok, I felt in love with Operation Flashpoint back in 2001, consider the Resistance addon script one of the best stories told in military/fps game so far.

I was soo waiting for Arma, got hit in the face with it -the setting (desert and pine trees on the same map, really? couldn't they make something like THREE maps?) gameplay, campaign. Arma2 improved in these areas big time. But my system isn't soo good despite the patches, and few bugs remain. And I don't have time to hunt down the mods for it like I used too for OFP.

OFP:Dragon Rising. Man I hated this one, yet played it to death. I like Skiria, I like the new units, I like the graphics and occasional gore (something BIS have yet to introduce, Brothers in Arms is the best at this but kinda sucks gameplay wise)

So here is Red River. A-Stan. Ok, why not. Just seen Restrepo. I'm still in the second mission, but so far, so good. Ok, the brown filters and red sunlight many complain about could use some tunnig down, but overall it's quite enjoyable single player so far. A bit too much leaning towards the (Clancy's) abortion Ghost Recon AW was, but ok.

The thing I had to deal with myself when Dragon Rising was released was to approach it as if James Gastovski, Victor Troska, General Guba, whole Operation Flashpoint never existed (quite difficult when it's written all over the box, right?). So I took it differently, dug out the fond memories of Novalogic (man, where are they???) Delta Force series -and you know what?

Running Red River I see Delta Force Land Warrior on steroids -similar gameplay, similar large maps, similar fell it has.

And it's ok for me. Just the title on the DVD box...

Ok, could someone do the same with ye olde Vietcong franchise, but up-to-date graphics, leaving the gameplay as it was pleeease..?

(OK, I hate the Red River intro. I don't like being threated like an analphabetic idiot. DR had great one, this plainly sucks)

Edited by Stary

I'm just about wrapping up with the game-its not Bad Company or MoH; but theres something to it.

Try the CSAR Fireteam engagements-I can't get through with my whole team intact. Of course I'm screaming bloody murder about how inept and plainly idiotic the AI is at the best of times; but the PLA is handing it to me so far!

Edited by Stick

Have yet to encounter PLA in the campaign, and tried one of the quick mission with waves of enemies (the one with Chinook insertion), nice but right, the friendly AI...

edit:

I really really enjoyed Bad Company 2, to my own surprise in fact

Edited by Stary

when the PLA come its a whole different game! I think what I like is you can get killed with one shot.

I hope so, used to in original Flashpoint anyway :smile:

Ok, could someone do the same with ye olde Vietcong franchise, but up-to-date graphics, leaving the gameplay as it was pleeease..?

VC was so good, wasn't it? Hard to get past how dated it looks now, but still, damn near perfect co-op experience for what it is!

Have all the VC titles with expansion packs, but never made it past first mission in VC 2. It's the city settings that kills it for me. Best was the expansion pack for VC IMO.

back to Red River -the coolest thing I've seen in tactical OFP-like titles happened yesterday -me firing at a Chineese trooper some 150 meters away, aiming to low (M4 dotsight). Tracer round, dusk setting so I see it clearly. Bounces off the ground few meters in front of the poor guy and hits him in the head. That's the "my, oh my" moment :good::blink:

• Like 1

I picked up Red River yesterday. For the Xbox I will admit. I had Dragon Rising on it as well.

It's ok. I like it better than Dragon Rising in certain ways. Better sky boxes, the PLA aren't sniping me from 500 meters anymore, more weapons, and much better explosions. Not having helicopters, tanks, or APC/IFVs was nice too. Hated the controls for the helicopter. Arma 2's are bad at times but DR's were the worst ever. Red River also felt a little less sluggish which was nice. I prefer not taking five minutes to load a SMAW to kill a PLA APC that's causing me to bleed out. Honestly though it just feels like a tactical Call of Duty compared to ArmA 2.

The staff sergeant cursing every other word gets annoying after awhile too.