Sign in to follow this  
shredward

Elegy

I always liked the Lite side . This was a 1902 Music / Dance Number

The cello gives this Elegy a slight soreness the violins couldn't create so well.

Was Elgar wounded in the Great War?

The cello gives this Elegy a slight soreness the violins couldn't create so well.

Was Elgar wounded in the Great War?

No, he was getting on in years by then (born 1857). However, he took the loss of so many very hard.

shredward

Damn, if I would have switched my brain on before writing...

Even if I don't know anything much about Elgar except that he composed "Land of Hope and Glory"

and the wonderful "Pomp and Circumstance", I would have known that he was too old to be sent to the trenches.

Sometimes, my brain is more like scrambled eggs. Dohh!!!

... Elgar ... composed ... the wonderful "Pomp and Circumstance" ,,,

That is the 1st time I've ever heard of the words "wonderful" and "Pomp and Circumstance" being used in the same sentence,and I daresay I speak for everybody in the entire history of the world :grin: . GAWD, I still have nightmares about that horrible piece of music :blink:.

See, in the US, "Pomp and Circumstance" is played at high school graduations. And it's played over and Over and OVER AND OVER again throughout the ceremony, for several hours if the school is big enough. It's especially bad if you're an underclassman in the school band, so have to be one of those playing it. You have to suffer through this for 3 years in a row, when nobody you care about is graduating so you wouldn't be at the show except for being in the band, and never mind that you have your own exams the next morning that you can't study for because you're playing that damn "Pomp and Circumstance!" Then, when finally it's your turn to graduate, the whole evening is ruined because you have to listen to the current underclassmen playing that horrible song ad nauseum. :yikes:

Well, this example explains very well, that music is all about emotions.

Yours were tortured with the piece, so how could you like it anymore?