Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Post a Picture of your nicest Airfield

Here's yet another shot of Morchingen, April 1917 home of Jasta 32.

cfs32011052511111594.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

It's only been 'home' for a few days, but Abeele (just west of Bailleul and Poperinghe) is in a nice spot - hemmed in by a couple of small woods, produce farms and a little stream off the east end of the landing strip - with Bailleul town and a cluster of other airfields nearby.

This shot is looking ESE towards Bailleul town, October 1915.

post-63519-0-30412800-1306645648.jpg

Anyone in the area around Amiens? I once had a short Camel campaign, and was flying

from a very beautifully situated airfield there. I remember it like Shire from "Lord of the Rings";

but perhaps that was rather my then still very new enthusiasm with OFF?

Definitely not the nicest but where I'm flying right now. Bertangles, home sweet home. Shots of another lovely day there.

I love Bertangles, and I too am flying with 24 there right now, March of 1916. Had to get back to my roots for a while and reclaim the twitchy yet capable DH2. Jim, you are spot on as well about it not being the nicest, but it is most assuredly Home Sweet Home for all of us with an inherent fondness for the RFC.

"Every time I look down on this aerodrome

whether blue or gray be her skies.

Whether loud be her cheers or soft be her tears,

more and more do I realize:

I love Bertangles in the springtime.

I love Bertangles in the fall.

I love Bertangles in the winter, when it drizzles,

I love Bertangles in the summer, when it sizzles.

I love Bertangles every moment,

every moment of the year.

I love Bertangles, why, oh why do I love Bertangles?

Because my DH2 is near."

(apologies to Nat King Cole fans everywhere) :smile:

OFF_DH2_Bertangles_West_001.jpg

A rare and perfect winter's day, looking east towards the Front, where duty calls and destiny awaits.

Hihihi! Lou, I am beginning to wonder, if you and your family may be sitting on mess benches

(original! A real bargain at Ebay!!) when you eat together in the dining room or kitchen.

:grin:

Oh no Olham, my WWI aviation library and items are confined to my little 8' by 10' flying room. My good lady wife likes my hobby and studies just fine, as long as a door can be closed on them when company is coming over. :grin:

Here is the back wall of said flying room:

Lous_Flying_Room_East_Wall.jpg

Compact, concise, and relatively tidy.

Aaaaahhhh! Your WW1 library section! Lots of great stuff, I see!

Not much space, but that may even enhance the crammed cockpit feeling.

That grey-blue title with the golden printing in the second shelf left side looks like

a German title - well, maybe not; you wouldn't get far with it, I suppose.

The three kids I guess are yours? I bet they add some real joy to your life.

Well, and that uniform is a top-notch exihibition piece surely, even without all those fine medals.

Capitaine Vengeur - look at this uniform! :yikes:

Yes Olham, it is a cozy little space. If you are talking about the fifth book in from the left, (next to the dark mustard coloured volume), that is Lieut. E.M. Roberts' book, "A Flying Fighter". No German text items in my collection, I'm sorry to say, but at least a few translated works. And yes, those are my three kids from about 17 years ago: from left-to-right, Kate, Andy, and Sara, and they were 2 1/2, 7 1/2, and 5 1/2 respectively in that photo. They are all grown and on their own now, but Kate and Sara live nearby, and Sara has a six-year-old daughter Cassidy who we get to visit with regularly. Great fun!

Geeze, Lou - they are all taller than we are now? Time flies when you're having toast!

No, I meant the 9. book from the left - it looks a bit like my original from K. F. Kurt Jentsch "Beim Jagdflug verunglückt?"

In the case that you don't have "Malaula! The Battlecry of Jasta 17" - that is a read I highly recommend.

Translated into English, and edited by Norman Franks.

Yes Olham, time flys far too swiftly, I'm afraid.

The book in question is Elliott White Springs' "War Birds". Also, "Malaula! The Battlecry of Jasta 17" is on my list of books that I yet wish to acquire, as you and others have highly recommended it numerous time.