Sign in to follow this  
Bandy

Patch is out for RoF

Not trying to be disrespectful by posting here, simply put, if you love WWI simulations you may be interested to know that the new RoF patch is out.

It contains many new features including the 'Career Mode' which if it lives up to expectations may set a new milestone.

LINK HERE to the official forum.

Edited by Bandy

Hi Bandy,

Well, I hope that it works out well with the latest patch, but I've got reservations, based on what I've just read.

They seem to be implying that if you shoot down more aircraft than other people, you'll get to lead the flight, and then perhaps the squadron. Is that actually historical? My understanding is that people got promoted partly through longevity/superiority, but mostly through be a good flight commander - perhaps the very antithesis of the systems promulgated in RoF (after all, why else would they have a ranked list of players ranked by kill?). I'm pleased that you now have Autumn - were you all flying in lovely Summer weather until now? As standard, any WWI flight sim should ship with all four seasons, accurately modelled. Is Winter catered for yet?

Still, the recon stuff looks quite interesting, although there are pitifully few aircraft in the RoF stable in which to enjoy such mods. Is it still two two-seaters for the entire World War One? That has to improve, otherwise any toys for recon/bomber people are simply pointless.

Have fun with it anyway. I'm off to rev up the ol' RE8 for a job over Passchendaele. BTW - any word from the RoF people about Flanders scenery yet?

Cheers,

Si

It would seem nicer, if you would be seen here more often with other posts, Bandy.

To post after a long time only to announce the competing sim is a bit strange, isn't it?

Sounds good, one of the main things that RoF was lacking was a career mode, infact it put me off buying it for quite some time - also the field mods sound good too. :good:

Guest B. Bandy RFC
It would seem nicer, if you would be seen here more often with other posts, Bandy.

To post after a long time only to announce the competing sim is a bit strange, isn't it?

Oh come on, I'm going to attribute attitudes like that to simple ignorance. I've been involved with other WWI sims for a while, even contributed mods in a very humble/modest sort of way, certainly not like others can with their time/talent resources. But the bottom line is I support them all for the sake of variety. Others may be interested, WWI sims are a small community, get over it or we'll perish.

Thank you to the "others" who see this as a bit of valued news, rather than some invasion.

My experience with "your" WWI sim of choice from OFF2 onwards on my system was much less than I had hoped for (actually it was awful). Did that stop me from purchasing HiTR? No. Did I ask for a refund? No. Maybe I should have made a big stink, would that have made you happy?

Get off the high horse. Support all those who try to provide a quality product in flight simulators, all those businesses need it or else we'll all be playing arcade shooters with the freaking teenagers and whinging to fewer and fewer of us on the forums.

CHANGE OF RANT:

I did not realize there has been a significant shift in the way the demo works:

777 are now giving the base game away. The demo is now time unlimited with two flyable aircraft and all the AI controlled aircraft for free (they all are nonethe less), with full access to all the features you'd expect from the full game. The only difference is that the unlimited demo remains a demo licence until you buy an add on aircraft, at which point it becomes a full licence.

PS: I have no idea why my forum membership appears in two different ways from two different computers. I am one and the same.

Edited by B. Bandy RFC

Bandy,

People posting positive news about BH&H and HitR on the RoF forums never exactly got a warm welcome over there either. I could be wrong though. Feel free to post a link to some of the incredible screenshots of the upcoming Phase 4 showing the all new scenery, terrain, cockpits and planes on the RoF forums and let me know about all of the positive feedback you recieve over there sir.

I'm sorry but for reasons I wont waste anyones time getting into, there's a bit of bad blood between many of the users of these two sims. Me? I enjoy each for what they have to offer. They both offer great experiences with their own limitations. Just not the same experience due to the different strengths and limitiations of each sim. Thats fine with me.

Hellshade

I'll close this in the interest of calm and peace..

We need to support all sims to keep them going. However like on other forums where the same applies, there are general WW1 forums and other sections for discussion about other sims. Posting of "another" sim doesn't usually do anything except stir things up like this.