Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

First Eagles weather problems

I've been enjoying the wide scope of Over Flanders Fields/HitR since buying both recently. So I decided to widen similarly the scope of First Eagles - which I continue to enjoy equally for its particular strengths - by adding in some of the excellent extra planes, campaigns and terrains available here and at the A Team Skunkworks. Not that I have exhausted the stock FE campaigns by any means but I fancied a crack at making better use of the FE/FE2 Albatros DIII. So I made a start with the Bloody April campaign, the Flanders terrain ans the planes needed for both.

I installed the complete package in both FE and FE2. Apart from some flight model oddness with the FE2b, the only problem I've had is that in both FE and FE2, the weather seems to be 'stuck' where it started. In FE, it's a horrible, rainy foggy day, every time -'inclement' I think it's called. In FE2, it's the reverse - clear blue skies every mission, with just the odd puff of cloud in the sky - 'clear' weather type I believe.

After checking the FE Knowledgebase, in FE2 I added a [weatherchance] block to the Flanders terrain .ini file, in the FE2 mods folder. Also added that to the Flanders.ini file for First Eagles, tho I think the [weatherchance] block may be for FE2 only.

I've played enough missions for there to be some change by now, if the weatherchange %'s were working, but the weather seems to be stuck in both sims, at opposite ends of the scale. I've obviously missed something but can't find what it is.

In the Knowledgebase article on adapting FE terrains for FE2 there's a ref to getting the .ini file's 'catpointer' line right, but I can't find the advice on how to do that and anyway, the problem is affecting FE not just FE2. Both the terrain, and the campaign, seem to be working fine otherwise.

Any suggestions most welcome!

Yes thanks Wrench I guess that's the one. The FE2 Cambrai and Verdun terrains are just in the FE2/Terrains folder (no subfolder) so I just copied both files to the FE2 mods Terrains folder and changed the Flanders.ini cat pointer to read CatFile=..\wwiVerdun.cat ie removing the subfolder name. Will see if that works, but still at a loss to understand why the weather is stuck at 'inclement' for FE(1) as well as FE2.

you got me on that one, too!

we just recently went through that with SF2, and it was something TK had to fix. 1st time I've heard of it in FE

I have FE2 and it's patched to the latest version. The weather doesnt change for me either in any campaign. Even my own campaign I created from scratch doesnt have a change in weather. I have all the perameters set correctly too. Been kind of a drag for a long time. No word from TW on any fix.

Oh, that's bad if the campaign weather can get somehow stuck, across the board.

It would not be so bad if it wasn't stuck in a near-unflyable 'pea souper' fog in FE1 - which only happened when I installed the BA campaign, can't recall if the previous campaign weather was stuck, maybe I only noticed when stuck in a deep fog! Will check to see if it affects other campaigns. Less of a prob that if I'm stuck in clear blue skies in FE2 - again, will check to see if either the catpointer change fixed it, or if it didn't and I'm stuck in blue skies in FE2 across the board. Would not be so bad if it was stuck in 'broken' or even 'scattered'.