Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Semi-OT: "Wildcats" in dogfight with "Zeros"

Quite thrilling I found the CGI air combat beginning at 8:00 min into this Japanese docu.

Another video for me to watch when I get home!..thanks m8

Japanese Aviation animator Tochy, has produced the best CG aviation films I've ever seen! :ok:

Here is the famous Sakai - Sutherland incident, that was also precented in the History Channel's Dogfights.

this time from a Japanese perspective.

IMO, Tochy's version is way beter... :grin:

Notice how the Japanese pilots communicate without radios, (removed to save weight),

Tetsuzo Iwamoto in the Coral Sea Battle, by Tochy:

(subtitled)

I'm always craving a Pacific Air War sim as good as OFF. I've played the stuff in IL-2 but it just didn't do it for me. I'll always maintain that those Japanese aces were the best pilots in history. Sakai, Nishizawa, and others flew those Zeros like extensions of their own bodies. Things turned sour for them eventually, but the pre-Midway Japanese Air Force was really something to behold.

I'm always craving a Pacific Air War sim as good as OFF. I've played the stuff in IL-2 but it just didn't do it for me. I'll always maintain that those Japanese aces were the best pilots in history. Sakai, Nishizawa, and others flew those Zeros like extensions of their own bodies. Things turned sour for them eventually, but the pre-Midway Japanese Air Force was really something to behold.

There's a Pacific Theater patch for CFS3, if it's as good as the BoB patch it might be worth trying out. I made a F1 Gloster Meteor vs. a V1 Buzz bomb London Blitz single mission for ETO, It was a lot of fun.

Here's a youtube of the PTO patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlj39PI_rkQ&feature=related

Edited by Lewie

Outstanding clips. Thanks for posting them Olham. :)

Iwamoto san has always been a favourite of mine. He was arguably the greatest of the Japanese aces, having fought for 8 years in almost all the major battles of the Pacific War. He first saw active service in China in 1938, where was was the top scoring ace of that conflict with 12 victories. He then went on to see service at Pearl Harbour, Indian Ocean, Darwin raid, Coral Sea, Rabaul, Truk, Philippines, Okinawa and the Home Islands. Amazing record, one never matched by any other surviving Japanese ace.

Generally credited with 80 victories by historians (the IJNAF didn't officially keep scores for pilots), just behind the legendary Hiroyoshi Nishizawa at 87. Iwamoto himself claimed a staggering 202 air victories in his diary, which sadly has only been published in Japanese.

Amazing fellow.

Edited by Pips

I've been aware of Tochi's stunning videos for ages now, but these clips are all new to me! Superb find. It's like Christmas!

He's the best! :good:

I have bought his book on the Zero, (CG profilling and cut outs), in Japanese!

for the bonus DVD with those two clips I've posted... :ok: