Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Dual Core Optimisation, grrr!

After struggling to get OFF running properly again since our hard drive died, I have had several false starts. I have, however, just completed the 3rd mission in a row without a hitch. The main culprit all along looks to have been the most fundamental thing that I should have remembered - optimising for the AMD dual core processor. It's there in the FAQs - which I thought I had carefully perused - and I must have downloaded it when I first installed OFF.

I even remember making a birthday card for a CFS3 ETO playing friend from a Spitfire photograph, to resemble a 'Biggles' book cover, with him taking on a dastardly 'dual core' weapon which threatened flight simmming!

That'll learn me to read the FAQ's thoroughly!

Edited by Wayfarer

A lesson for us all m8! RTFM!... :lol:

It isn't comforting to find out, that the "error" is most often the bloke in front of the monitor... :grin:

After struggling to get OFF running properly again since our hard drive died, I have had several false starts. I have, however, just completed the 3rd mission in a row without a hitch. The main culprit all along looks to have been the most fundamental thing that I should have remembered - optimising for the AMD dual core processor. It's there in the FAQs - which I thought I had carefully perused - and I must have downloaded it when I first installed OFF.

I even remember making a birthday card for a CFS3 ETO playing friend from a Spitfire photograph, to resemble a 'Biggles' book cover, with him taking on a dastardly 'dual core' weapon which threatened flight simmming!

That'll learn me to read the FAQ's thoroughly!

And where are these FAQs?

aaah the old problem of failure between seat and keyboard... I see it on a daily basis and make stupid mistakes like that myself... but a day where you learn something is a good day, even if what you have learned is that occasionally we all have stupid moments... :drinks:

I'm finding a lot of FAQs concerning ATI and NVidia setups,

but nothing about CPU dualcore optimization. I did find this website and download though.

My link

Edited by Lewie

I'm finding a lot of FAQs concerning ATI and NVidia setups,

but nothing about CPU dualcore optimization. I did find this website and download though.

My link

Yep, that's the thing Lewie. On the OFF FAQs it isunder question 9: 'graphics seem to stutter or go very fast'. It just mentions it on one line - I'm trying to make excuses for not noticing it now!

My main problem was that it kept shutting down, but when it didn't crash it was sometimes 'racing'. I remembered that I had seen a solution to that and finally found it again.

Since downloading the optimiser, it seems to have cured the crashes as well.

Ah, OK, I thought that there was another tweak in the FAQ's I overlooked. My new Gigabyte motherboard and AMD chip came with a few programs and drivers that (...I'm guessing..) provide for the needed dual CPU support for older games, at least the Gigabyte 'tuner' has both cores shown as optimized.

The ATI and NVidia tips are near the top.