Sign in to follow this  
xclusiv8

Any Macbook users here?

I am thinking of buying an Macbook Air 13" or Macbook Pro 13". All my life Ive strictly been a PC user so i thought i would try something new since i am starting my studies this fall and a laptop could get handy.

Does anyone of you guys have these machines? Would you recommend them over similarly priced PC laptops?

Thanks

I have been a Mac user since 1990 and I just love them. The university I worked for bought me a MacBook Pro 12", a big screen and a keyboard and mouse, and it was the best rig ever. And the new Intel-based ones mean you can install and run Windows as well, should you feel the need. Being able to dual-book Windows and MacOSX is great. Price-wise you always pay more for Apple hardware than a comparable PC rig, but component integration and quality control is usually worth the price.

I used a MacBook for the last 3 years before I got my new laptop. I really liked OSX for all my everyday stuff. And dual booting over to Windows XP for games worked fine (at least as well as it would on a PC laptop with the same, crappy, graphics card).

But, you are probably paying 150% - 200% more for the same hardware. I would have upgraded to a MacBook Pro in the Spring when I bought my new laptop, but the most powerful MacBook Pro was about $2300. I got an HP Pavillion that's a little more powerful for $1000.

Mac's are pricey. There's no denying that.

I have a MBP 13" (late 2010) and I like it. I have to have admit that its HDD is a bit small for my tastes (especially after I installed Windows 7 via BootCamp), but that's something that can easily be fixed for a few bucks and a screwdriver :grin:

Btw, the MBPros and MBAirs support now only Windows 7 and the MBPro 13" and the MBAirs have only an on-board Intel graphics chip. IMHO I would only consider an MBA if I had to travel a lot and can't carry that much with me. I would recommend the MBP 13" I purchased last year, but to be honest I wouldn't get the current model due to the graphic chip issue.

Also, Apple would like you to know they are portables and not laptops. :lol:

Edited by Gocad

I would only opt for a McB-Air if I could absolutely, positively do without a CD/DVD-drive, which I can't, so I'd recommend buying an McBP.

I'm a 15''-McBP user myself (old-school Win XP 32).