Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeachAV8R

SAM reload times?

Guest BeachAV8R

Do SAM units reload - and if so do they do so according to some realistic time value?

Just wondering.. I can see the empty launchers of the SA-2 after they launch and just wonder if they will eventually rearm themselves..

Regards!

BeachAV8R

In the SF series there is no reload. In real wartime operation the reload of a launcher like the SA-2 will take some 12 to 15 minutes. Depends on skill and I guess how many bombs and missiles falls in the vicinity.

Guest BeachAV8R

Aha.. That is good to know. Is there any way to make a SAM site shoot only a single SAM at a time rather than mass launch all of their missiles at the same time? I've got a SA-2E site set up with 4 launchers and all 4 launch at the same time.

Regards..

BeachAV8R

Aha.. That is good to know. Is there any way to make a SAM site shoot only a single SAM at a time rather than mass launch all of their missiles at the same time? I've got a SA-2E site set up with 4 launchers and all 4 launch at the same time.

Regards..

BeachAV8R

Now thats what I call fun... Split S'ing from 4 SAM's coming at you... though SA-2E's are fairly straightforward to avoid wait until you get the Dreaded SA-10 SA-11 setups...

Regards..

BeachAV8R

That is an issue with the missile data having a very short or no delay at all.

This should fix this.

ReleaseDelay=60.000000

The early SAM's used the salvo firing. The Volchov/Dvina (SA-2) shot salvos of 3 missiles at one target. The Neva (SA-3) shot salvos of 2 missiles.

Reload time depended not only on skill of the crew, but also of the numbers of men in a crew and their physical power. For instance the vietnamese used a reload crew which was twice as big as an east german crew, to get the same reload times.

Guest BeachAV8R
That is an issue with the missile data having a very short or no delay at all.

This should fix this.

ReleaseDelay=60.000000

What file do I need to stick that line in? I looked at the SA-2 .ini file but couldn't find stuff similar to that.

Re: Salvo firing - Yeah, I figured it was probably a valid technique - but thought there might be some delay between the first, second, and third missiles. Since I would imagine they would be hoping you would deplete your energy defeating the first one, perhaps leaving you with less energy to deal with the 2nd and 3rd ones.

I also noticed something weird with the SA-2 (can't remember if it was the "E"..maybe..) but when it comes off the launcher is wobbles radically before it ejects the initial motor..is that realistic or just a quirk of SF2? I'll get a screenshot of it when I get home later..

Many thanks!

BeachAV8R

Guest BeachAV8R

And the SA-2 layout certainly does make you wonder why they couldn't come up with a better way to disguise it. Dating back to Vietnam it was pretty easy to spot them. Guess they make good cluster bomb targets once you knock out the guidance radar. I haven't looked to see (on Wiki) if the individual launchers have some sort of back-up optical guidance system..

SA-2 site on Google Maps: HERE!

BeachAV8R

if you look through the data inis for the various launchers, you'll note there's NO reload time listed at all!! For any of them, stock or add-ons. (you'd think that SA-8, Chapparells and the like would have someting like that, huh? what with being much smaller missiles)

What file do I need to stick that line in? I looked at the SA-2 .ini file but couldn't find stuff similar to that

Many thanks!

BeachAV8R

That's in the data entry for the weapon itself (the SA-2E missile) and not the SA-2E launcher's data.ini.

Guest BeachAV8R
That's in the data entry for the weapon itself (the SA-2E missile) and not the SA-2E launcher's data.ini.

LOL..that explains it! Thanks!

if you look through the data inis for the various launchers, you'll note there's NO reload time listed at all!! For any of them, stock or add-ons. (you'd think that SA-8, Chapparells and the like would have someting like that, huh? what with being much smaller missiles)

I think the quoted reload time for the SA-8, SA-9 was around 5 minutes provided they had a reload vehicle with them and reload for the SA-13 was around 3 minutes...

Guest BeachAV8R

Still seeing the funny SAM launch behavior with regards to the SA-2 tumbling end over end until the booster motor falls away...then it tracks straight..

wiggle1.jpg

wiggle2.jpg

BeachAV8R

Post your data entries for those SA-2 models that are behaving erratically.

Guest BeachAV8R

Is the data from the Weapons Editor the same as the stuff that is in the .ini file? This is the missile...it is an SA-2E model..

sa2e.JPG

BeachAV8R

Huum, seems that many parameters are wrong. The guidance is beam rider, turn rate should be around 12 to 15g, take out seeker uncage as this premit off boresight launch, No need to mid-course and terminal guidance too.

And... most important!!! check Stabilizing fins!!! otherwise the round will behave as we see in the screenshots. ;-)

Guest BeachAV8R

One other question too...I noticed in the Mission Editor when you want to place the SA-2 launcher as an object..why are there 4 of the same entries? I know that there are several variants of SA-2...should I rename something somewhere to get them to display appropriately?

editor1.jpg

Thanks!

BeachAV8R

Rename accordingly inside the respective groundobject's .ini file.

SA-2L.INI:

[GroundObjectData]

ObjectFullName=SA-2L SAM Launcher

Guest BeachAV8R

Thanks..I'll edit those tonight.

Guest BeachAV8R

Huum, seems that many parameters are wrong. The guidance is beam rider, turn rate should be around 12 to 15g, take out seeker uncage as this premit off boresight launch, No need to mid-course and terminal guidance too.

And... most important!!! check Stabilizing fins!!! otherwise the round will behave as we see in the screenshots. ;-)

Hmm..I made the changes you suggested, and that definitely fixed the flipping end over end..but now they aren't guiding, they just launch and go straight. Perhaps I need to re-enable mid-course and terminal guidance?

Guest BeachAV8R

Alrighty! Got it sorted... I was starting the mission for testing purposes too close to the site I think.. Therefore the missiles weren't tracking like they were with the prior (inaccurate) parameters. Moved further away and I'm getting good tracking..

Whew..

Thanks for all the help!

BeachAV8R