Sign in to follow this  
Seawolf

Poll: Which aircraft would you want added?

Of the 4 aircraft listed, which would you want the most?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Of the 4 aircraft listed, which would you want the most?

• F14D Tomcat
    • AV8B Harrier (British and USMC)
    • F15E Strike Eagle
    • Tornado GR1

I'd like to fly a Su 39.

The Su 39 seems to be nonflyable in LoMAC and with a Su25 availible to fly may be an easy addon.

Others already in the game I'd like to fly are the Su 30, Su 34, Su 25 UTG and the Su 24. It'd be great if you could also let the AI pilot the plane and be able fly as the WSO, RIO or a FAC in these, and the NATO F/A 18F, F-14D, F-16D or an OA-10.

Additional addons could be the MV-22A, AN26, C-130J, Ka 27, SH-60, Ka 50 and 52, and the AH1W. Allof these too are included as currently nonflyable ( except the V-22).

It would be great if you could select the side number of the aircraft you select to fly. Custom or Actual Nose art would be another possibility.

This sim has a great many possibilities. I hope the developers are able to offer addons or give access to the hackers that are much more computer talented than me.

flanker25-4.jpg

Interesting that you use the term "Hackers" because thats exactly what I dont want to see happen.

If you want 50 aircraft flyable then you have to settle for "arcade avionics and flight models" no thanks! I think they have just enough flyable aircraft in there now to still keep them realistic. Addons? sure would be cool, but I want them comming from the developers not Jo Shmo using 3dMax and no comprehension of realism. Last thing i want is a squadron of blimps attacking my airbase :roll:

I like the way the IL2 guys approach addons. Build it, send it in to oleg, if it's good enough then Oleg puts it in a patch. Seems fair to me and a way to keep things honest.

I would accept any addon Matt and his crew wanted to do whether it be a UK aircraft, US, Russian, etc. It would be nice if they were to add a Multirole plane and added A/G radar for all the guys whining about it. lol :wink:

Guest Ranger332

hAVE YOU TRIED THE aIR CADETS, THEY COME TO OUR POST EVERY MONTH.

Guest Ranger332

"but I want them comming from the developers not Jo Shmo using 3dMax and no comprehension of realism. Last thing i want is a squadron of blimps attacking my airbase "

SO YOU DONT LIKE sfp1 ?

Ranger, I was hyped up on SFP1 before release because I was under the misconception that it was a COMBAT FLIGHT SIM. It turned into nothing more than a testbed for Photoshop and 3DMax. You look through the forums at simhq about SF and see how many posts you get from people actually FLYING SF. Nothing but thread after thread of modding news and "How toos" of data editing. I do all my flying online so as of right now No I'm not happy with SF and it offers me nothing.

It will be interesting to see what it turns into in another year or so, but right now there isnt enough there to keep me interested in it. Some of us arent into mods and editing, we just want to fly combat. :)

Firstly I just found the LOMAC site, I was lamenting the fact that Flight simulation was dead, and then, Eureka! I absolutely can't wait for this game to come out.

Realistically I think that the F/A18 E/F and the S-37 or perhaps Mig 1.41 should be the next ones to come out, as the represent the most modern fighters from each side. Someone did make the point that more flight models means less quality. I would not like to see the quality of the sim degrades by quantity of planes. I would rather pay more fore more planes, but most other people probably wouldn't so I can't see massive numbers of planes being developed.

Perhaps they could relase the F-15E with the S-34 under the rule of thumb that all planes must have counterparts.

The Cat can simultaniously engage 6 targets, at different airspeeds and altitudes due to the phoenix having its own radar, while the hornet can fire only 2 sparrows at a time against targets which are close together. Unlike the phoenix, the sparrow requires the hornet to continue flying toward the target using its radar, thus making it vulnerable to a return missile shot

Few Hornets, and surely not the Super Hornet, are going to fly with the AIM-7 strapped on nowadays. The slammer (AIM-120) is now the big stick of choice. The Nav is phasing out the Sparrow and when the Phoenix reaches EOL, they are not contracting for renewals. So the current batch of Phoenix missiles will expire between 2006 and 2008, and after that, the Phoenix will be stricken from the Naval Armory Inventory.

Further, the F/A-18E can carry a lot more AMRAAM's than any 'Cat, and the 'Cat does not give it's pilot the same level of SA that the pilot of the Super Bee enjoys.

The list of superior characteristics over the Tomcat is long. About the only substantial weakness that the Super Hornet has versus the Tomcat is in the Fleet Defence role, where the Phoenix missile is king.

-Skater

I don't know why people say the F-14 is better than the super hornet. Sure as a dedicated fleet defence fighter it reigned surpreem. (so I guess in a sense it is better.) However that was about all it excelled at. A squadron of Tomcats is a waste of space. On the other hand the Super hornet excells at a wide range of roles and gives you much better value and hence is the better fighter.

NO! NO! NO! There is nothing wrong with a squadron of Cats... yes they may not have the A2G capability of the Hornet, but when you have the possibility of anti-ship missles coming in salvos, then you need a Cat to kill the bombers before those anti-ship missles get launched. (dont leave anything about the phoenix shooting down missles... I already know) It's just more economical to shoot down the bomber rather than each missle. The F-18 does not have the avionics to do the job, so you need the cat.

Now as for the game, both the Hornet and Cat, are pointless ideas... great wishes... but pointless. This is not a navair game (unfortunately), that is why I voted for the Tornado (the balls to the wall plane).

Put the Hornet up against a Flanker, and then you'll see those hornet pilots begging for a Cat pilot to be up in the air. Send a phoenix up its ass, and then send in the Hornets.

True Snapple... but I don't think there will be much call for the shootdown of bombers launching standoff weaponry against capital ships anymore. That's just not a reality anymore. Naval Air Projection has brought the carriers in closer to shore, and concentrate more on A2G and medium range A2A rather than the Fleet Defence role. The 'Cat's time is quickly fading. They've had their 15 minutes.

-Skater

I know its dying, but I just dont want to let it go, kinda like the A-6 being retired.

God I cant wait for it to be in SF. :D

I know its dying, but I just dont want to let it go, kinda like the A-6 being retired.

God I cant wait for it to be in SF. :D

Now there is a sentiment I can wholeheartedly agree with. I love the 'Cat, and the Intruder. I can't wait for both to be added to SF.

The F-14 will be hard I think though... The variable geometry wings are gonna be hard to model in this sim I think.

-Skater

skater@biohazcentral.com

Good conversation guys! This is why I hit these boards.

I voted for the Tornado because it is an excellent A2G aircraft not covered in any sim I know of. The Tomcat was a VERY close second in my opinion. Im also a big fan of the swingwing concept. How about an F-111 too? :)

Snap and Skate, I wouldnt write off BVR and long range intercept just yet. The capability is still out there with potential enemy's for long range Anti shipping strikes. A kitchen in the fantail on a CV could ruin flight ops for a long, long time and all it takes is one or two early in a conflict to cause a lot of problems for the high command. Too many times in the past we thought a so called "old" method of combat was dying out and WHAM! its hits us again. A2A gunnery in Vietnam is a good example. That was why Topgun was formed. Now they want to phase Topgun out again Im hearing. As long as fighters carry guns and there is no better way to get in close for combat, then we best be prepared for dogfighting with guns. Same thing applies to long range weapons. Now, us having a strong air control capability with jstars, hawkeyes, and whatnot tends to limit what a long range attack can acomplish true. And with complete command of the air it likely wont happen. But we should never count on going into a conflict with anyone, having immediate air superiority, you've got to work for it. Until we attain it, we should have a good BVR capability like Pheonix and Tomcat.

No one in their right mind would write off a Harrier in combat with a good, well trained, motivated pilot at the controls. It may not be the most capable plane but it held its own during the Falklands against Skyhawks and Mirages at close range with sidewinders and its gun. Working in tandem with a squad mate, its as dangerous a foe as nearly any plane out there.