Sign in to follow this  
whiteknight06604

I can hear a pin drop

it has been pretty quiet since Stephen1918 has taken a well deserved rest. I think we need to try and recruit some more modders ,skinners and terrain guys to the world of FE.That way guys like Stephen won't get burned out.

That's a good idea however modder activity is directly proportional to active players.

And let's face it. Most solo players go OFF, most multi players go RoF, as much as it costs me to admit

Too much excellent WWI sims at the moment. I still like FE above ROF though. ROF has the best FM and DM and the best cockpits, but FE has much better AI and the best moddability and this is the main factors for me.

Don't worry, Stephen is resting, but He will make more planes, only a slower pace (He told about a pusher last time). Meanwhile, there is plenty of new toys for skinners and campaign builders.

An idea of mine. Took one map and make a series of short campaigns (a month, about 10 missions) covering the entire war. I'm doing it in my Italian install and is f***ing fun! with short campaings you can simulate transfers and you can avoid the "no changing weather" in FE2

Too much excellent WWI sims at the moment. I still like FE above ROF though. ROF has the best FM and DM and the best cockpits, but FE has much better AI and the best moddability and this is the main factors for me.

Don't worry, Stephen is resting, but He will make more planes, only a slower pace (He told about a pusher last time). Meanwhile, there is plenty of new toys for skinners and campaign builders.

An idea of mine. Took one map and make a series of short campaigns (a month, about 10 missions) covering the entire war. I'm doing it in my Italian install and is f***ing fun! with short campaings you can simulate transfers and you can avoid the "no changing weather" in FE2

Agree that FEG/FE2 is on balance the best WW1 aircombat sim presently available. OFF has supreme scope with everything integrated out-of-the-box, and RoF, despite some critical 2-seater planeset limitations, has supreme visuals, great maps and a truly excellent flight and dogfight experience. However, FEG/FE2 (even without the mods) also looks and flies pretty well and to me, First Eagles is still the best patrol-leading and dogfighting sim (especially important for WW1), with an adequate planeset, very good AI, well-executed historical content OOB and and a good overall package across the board. A rarely-mentioned but particularly strong feature is that I can play FE/FE2 with all targeting aids turned off; no need at all for target boxes, 2d or 3d icons, or 'radar' - decent longer-range representation of planes, closely-grouped and colour-coded flak bursts and a good view and padlock system all combine to create a very effective and immersive capabiility, superior in most respects to OFF and even RoF. The many great freeware items are very tasty icing on what (with the TW patches) became a nicely-baked good all-round cake.

I really like your mini-campaign idea, I'd like to do somerthing similar for a series based around 46 Squadron RFC, reflecting its changing bases and planes (especially now that we have, thanks to Stephen, a great Nieuport 12 to come before the Pup). But I can't find any real FE/SF campaign-building tips tips so it looks like I'll have to explore other people's campaign files to see what is needed and how it works (the stock campaigns seem to have some of their files 'buried' inside cat files so are hard to decipher).

Edited by 33LIMA

A map of the russian front could be great. I hope somebody makes one.

I'm still here. I try to get here every day and I've made some bug fixes lately. I posted in another thread that I'm currently working on the DH5, I should have that finished in a few weeks.

I agree with Hansa that an eastern front would be a good addition to FE. That would also allow us to expand into the 1920's and cover the Russian Revolution, the Polish-Bolshevik War, and other fighting that took place in Eastern Europe which used surplus WWI aircraft.

I like Ojcar's idea of making short campaigns. That sounds like a good way to learn the ropes before trying to open another front. I've been getting more and more interested in how the game works and what's going on "behind the scenes". Eventually I will do more with the game-play aspects, but right now I'm having too much fun making planes!

DH-5 that would be the bomb! my only concern was that with you being the only active plane maker you would get a little burned out with requests and all the work involved.

First Eagles is the best WW1 sim. The problem is that developers of the others WW1 sims spam the forums with "My sim is the best. Buy my sim". For example there is a poll in the WW1 sim forums about which one is better and developers are voting for their own sim. IMHO, that shameless propaganda is bad for the community.