Sign in to follow this  
Wodin

Head bob please

The flak bursts in OFF, if I'm hearing them correctly, are a bit soft, kind of like a fizzled firecracker. Can we have a healthy "Crump!" for nearby bursts and a series of varied other bangs and booms? I know the ambient battlefield noises are pretty loud, they could be a bit softer by comparison.

sorry, i don't know which sim you are flying, since the flak in BHAH has about 10 different variants :blink: .

IMO the flak in BHAH is very good and sounds very realistic. to make it louder of course you just have to raise the effects slider. or if it's on the maximum, then lower all other volume sliders one or two notches and raise the volume of your headset/speakers.

in the air something often sounds completely different than on the ground or when standing nearby.

a very lot of information gets lost in the air due to windgusts, direction etc. there is simply nothing to carry the complete sound like on the ground. almost no reverb at all. good example is when you are shooting with a rifle. then you hear very much, the bang, the reverb etc. but when you are in the air and hear the same bang, then you would not hear much more like an unspectacular pop, like a chestnut in the fire.

same with fireworks. a firework which shoots into the sky and then explodes with all it's effects etc., you rarely hear more then a short pop. no crump or explosion. :good:

... No need for head tracking.

As for whether it's superior if not essential, I think not; I've tried FaceTracknoir and while it worked, I find ''looking' by turning your head while leeping your 'eyes front' is unrealistic, counter-intuitive and irritating. I for one am quite happy to stick with padlock and panning..

That's fine if you are happy, but I totally disagree with that for TrackIR at least. If you are moving that far with your eyes and head then you need to adjust the sensitivity up a lot. It should be a subtle movement of your real head - mine I move about an inch either side to look fully right left so don't notice it. Set it with a suitable dead zone area to avoid twitches moving the view too much. You can also have an exponential curve so as you move more the on screen head increases movement. After a week or so you should not even think or notice the TIR being there. If you do then it needs adjusting more. Maybe some of the free ones need more tweaking don;t know I can only refer to TrackIR.

The fact you can look over the side and down looking for aircraft or targets or when landing, or lift your head and look over the wing in an instant or track an aircraft yourself even ducking under a wing to see, or lean trying to REALLY align the gun sight to your moving target - so many things make it so much more realistic. These all help to avoid the static view effect. But each to his own. Almost everyone who tries TrackIR finds it amazing but occasionally someone doesn't like it that's fine but I wouldn't let that put the vast majority off from enjoying it.

I'd say that if you have Trackir (or an equivalent) then head bob is highly unlikely to be a useful addition - you're already bobbing your own head. If you desperately need it, set up a mechanical device to hold your chair that's linked to your joystick and rudder. Bank violently and hey presto! the chair goes with you! You'll probably bob your head too.

I'm more interested to read about people's settings when it comes to sound setup.

Mine are set thus: engine 100%, then 20% 50% 50%, reading from the top down. My feeling is that you'd hear a lot of engine, probably wind, the odd creaking effect and bullet hit, but unless you were ridiculously low, not much in the way of gunfire.

How does the above compare with your settings and reasoning for them?

Edited by themightysrc

Mine are set thus: engine 100%, then 20% 50% 50%, reading from the top down. My feeling is that you'd hear a lot of engine, probably wind, the odd creaking effect and bullet hit, but unless you were ridiculously low, not much in the way of gunfire.

I will give these a try. I have mine set to the OFF Managers idea of Realistic (I think that is what the setting was called).

But I am always looking to improve my experience so I will give these a shot.

Hi DIH,

Please let me know what you think. My judgement is that the front line artillery is still far too loud, so I might start mucking about with the settings, but, as ever, any input is gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Si

Hi DIH,

Please let me know what you think. My judgement is that the front line artillery is still far too loud, so I might start mucking about with the settings, but, as ever, any input is gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Si

I certainly will.

This has always been a interesting subject for me. Hmmm...I must lead a boring life eh?

What can you really hear from the cockpit in a WW1 aircraft?

Certainly the engine must be the A#1 noise - it must have been loud as hell - I would think it would almost drown out everything else with the pilot practically sitting on top of it and the exhaust pipes.

According to pilot accounts the other noises heard would be AAA - if it detonated close enough.

The noise of a enemy MG was sometimes noted - again I would think it would have to be fairly close to drown out the sound of the engine.

Lastly there are a few recorded instances of hearing ground fire when the pilot would fly very low and throttle back on his engine.

Yep...interesting.

I can tell you from personal experience that you here VERY little when flying in an open cockpit aeroplane, apart from engine noise and wind noise, (unless you throttle way back). And this is reiterated again and again in the personal recollections of WWI flyers.

I can tell you from personal experience that you here VERY little when flying in an open cockpit aeroplane, apart from engine noise and wind noise, (unless you throttle way back). And this is reiterated again and again in the personal recollections of WWI flyers.

Gotta believe it!

I think, and I am probably stating the obvious, that a lot of the sound effects that we hear in flight sims (or other types for that matter) are "gaming" decisions by the programmers to make things more interesting for the consumer.

To hear nothing but engine noise 95% of the time may be perceived as boring to some people and lacking in the "whiz-bang" department.

Edited by DukeIronHand

Lou and DIH,

Right that does it. I think I'm going to go for 'real' and wind back more or less everything but the engine and wind noises. If we're trying to be realistic, let's avail ourselves of the most obvious tools and changes that are available.

If we're trying to be realistic, let's avail ourselves of the most obvious tools and changes that are available.

That's the spirit!

I will experiment also.

Gotta believe it!

I think, and I am probably stating the obvious, that a lot of the sound effects that we hear in flight sims (or other types for that matter) are "gaming" decisions by the programmers to make things more interesting for the consumer.

To hear nothing but engine noise 95% of the time may be perceived as boring to some people and lacking in the "whiz-bang" department.

Sounds familiar...similar discussion in an other forum I've been frequenting lately for Falcon 4 BMS 4.32. The latest mod for Falcon lacks the gaming sound effects that many users are accustomed to, and some users have compained that the BMS mod is "not realistic." However, if you compare it to actual RL footage from F-16 flights, it seems to be spot on.

Too bad we don't have video footage from WW1 to compare. But I would imagine that in-flight explosions closely matches Bullethead's RL experience.