Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Your all time Comedy Heroes

"Just women don't do comedy well especially stand up."

Victoria Wood? Sarah Milligan? Linda Smith?

Admittedly some are crap, but I've watched many male stand ups who are crap, so I'd say it evens out quite well. The difference, IMO, is that until relatively recently, stand up has been seen as a male preserve and women entering it would be given a harder time than men entering it. Novelty value plus the fact that live stand ups can get the most terrible heckling, and I've seen hecklers go for female comics simply because they're women - no other reason.

Fortunately, there appears to be a maturity less based on testosterone at large in the world of comedy as a whole, which has levelled the playing field for female stand ups/comedians.

Frankly, I'd rather sit through a single set of a good female stand up than any number of sets delivered by people like Michael McIntyre, Jimmy Carr or Roy Brown.

BTW, I knew I'd leave a couple off my faves list: Eddie Izzard, who's utterly sublime and Dylan Moran, the best ranter in the business (apart from one S. Lee).

Edited by themightysrc

Eddie Izzard is funny, Mighty - here is a sketch of his, with LEGO stop motion;

I posted this several times, but maybe you haven't seen it yet.

I've seen it before Olham, and was indeed most impressed. It's worth searching YouTube for his material, as it's generally achingly funny. The idea of an evil James Mason voiced mastermind planning the infiltration of a whites wash by a sleeper agent called Blue Underpants gives you an idea of his inventiveness.

"Just women don't do comedy well especially stand up."

Victoria Wood? Sarah Milligan? Linda Smith?

Admittedly some are crap, but I've watched many male stand ups who are crap, so I'd say it evens out quite well. The difference, IMO, is that until relatively recently, stand up has been seen as a male preserve and women entering it would be given a harder time than men entering it. Novelty value plus the fact that live stand ups can get the most terrible heckling, and I've seen hecklers go for female comics simply because they're women - no other reason.

Fortunately, there appears to be a maturity less based on testosterone at large in the world of comedy as a whole, which has levelled the playing field for female stand ups/comedians.

Frankly, I'd rather sit through a single set of a good female stand up than any number of sets delivered by people like Michael McIntyre, Jimmy Carr or Roy Brown.

BTW, I knew I'd leave a couple off my faves list: Eddie Izzard, who's utterly sublime and Dylan Moran, the best ranter in the business (apart from one S. Lee).

Vicotria Wood was amusing a long time ago. I still stand by my statement that women don't make good stand up comedians. Most of the time they still do the men are uselss jokes or something about periods...there like men stand up comedians from the seventies doing the mother in law jokes.

Anyway I believe the reason you don't see as many is because they just can't do it. When they can it's very rare.

I love Michael Macyntyre...and I;m surprised no-one has mentioned Billy Connolly :drinks:

And for the American Comics...who is the Black guy sometimes on Have I got News for you?

yup Reginald D Hunter...superbly dry wit...love him

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I love Michael Macyntyre...and I;m surprised no-one has mentioned Billy Connolly :drinks:

And for the American Comics...who is the Black guy sometimes on Have I got News for you?

yup Reginald D Hunter...superbly dry wit...love him

Pay attention, WM. I mentioned Bill Connolly :grin:

I also agree with your choice of Michael Macintyre :good:

Pay attention, WM. I mentioned Bill Connolly :grin:

I also agree with your choice of Michael Macintyre :good:

lol..indeed you did Tranquillo....I do apologise Sir! :salute::good: