Hellshade

OT: Attention Fantasy RPG Fans

Update from Bethesda.

Creation Kit— Beginning in January, PC players will be able to download the same development tools we used at Bethesda Game Studios to create Skyrim. In tandem with the Creation Kit’s release, we will roll out a new Wiki and videos to help you get started. It also features something we think you’re going to love…

Steam Workshop – We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop, you’ll have free user content with the push of a button. The Creation Kit will bundle your mod and upload it to the Workshop, where everyone can browse, rate, and flag mods for download. You’ll be able to do this from any web device, including your smartphone. Like a live Netflix queue, when you fire up Skyrim, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed. Everyone here is really excited about the opportunities and possibilities this opens up for our entire community.

Prefer to use existing modding sites? Not a problem. You’ll still be able to upload/share/access Skyrim mods on fan-created mod sites.

Continued Game Updates – This week we released update 1.2 across all platforms, and we’ll be releasing an incremental update next week. We anticipate it will be up on PC first, and then hit PS3 and Xbox 360 later in the week. Among other things, the update will fix issues like magic resistance not calculating properly and the rare, amazing backwards flying dragon. Once the update is released, we’ll share the full release notes.

After the holidays, we’ll continue to release regular updates for the game — through full title updates, as well as incremental “gameplay updates” to fix whatever issues come up along with rebalancing portions of the game for difficulty or exploits. We plan on having a lot of these, not just a few. Overall, you should expect updates to be hitting the PC and Steam earlier and more often, as that’s a process we control. Console updates will follow, as they must be certified and processed by those manufacturers.

We all know this is a huge game, and everyone has a different experience. We’ll continue to do everything we can to make the game better and better for as many people as possible every day. We’ve also realized that with the millions upon millions of people playing Skyrim, we need to treat our updates with greater care. If we get too aggressive trying to fix a minor issue, we run a risk of breaking something larger in a game like this. To be safe, we are prioritizing code side fixes right now over data fixes. Quest and balance issues are usually data, and those will start rolling in a large way with the January updates.

Amazing voice Hellshade, btw for those that may not know there's a mod manager which works exceptionally well. It can download mods from a click on the website into the mod manager and simple to active etc in Skyrim. Also can update mods.

I didn't read every page here so not sure it's been mentioned.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com

Mod manager here (Nexus Mod manager current ver 0.12.11)

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/forum/439-open-beta-feedback/

I have had no trouble with the new version, I suspect it's because peoel modded graphics etc, and had the 4GP patch enabled to access more memory but now the new exe overwrote it. There's a 4Gb launcher tool you can use on that site.

BTW, in case nobody's discovered it yet, you CAN put away a drawn arrow or charged spell without firing it. Just hit the R key, or whichever one you've mapped to draw/sheath your weapon. If you hit R while holding a knocked arrow, the arrow goes back in the quiver and the bow remains in your hand.

Thanks for that tip, will save me a few arrows.

Cheers MarkL

But BH is right that the game will start to push you towards specializing in a few things more than being a generalist. However, the leveling system also incorporates the fact that leveling up your higher skills push you towards raising your overall level faster than if you level skills of which you are currently still not very good at. In other words, if I level my Archery from 90 to 95, that pushes me closer to getting my next overall level than leveling my one handed weapons skill from 20 to 25 does. It gives you the opportunity to raise your lower skills up later in the game without scaling up the level of the monsters nearly as fast since it won't push your over-all level up nearly as quickly.

Now that you mention it, I think I've seen the same thing. That is, the number of skill increases required to raise the overall character level isn't constant (or even increasing constantly per character level), but arbitrary. Depending on what you do, sometimes leveling up takes more or less skill increases than last time. I'll have to pay more attention to this in the future.

Supposedly, the higher a skill is, the harder it is to increase further. This is certainly true with smithing. To start with, I could get a skill increase for making just a couple of iron daggers. Now it takes making a full set of armor and then improving each piece on the workbench. IOW, it's all about how often I use that skill. But combat skills increase due to damage inflicted with them. Thus, there's a feedback mechanism. The higher the skill, the more damage it does, especially if you spend perks on it, to the point where this seems to keep pace with the increasing difficulty of increasing that skill. In fact, I'm now finding my main combat skills increase much faster now than they did at the start of the game: fewer hits required for an increase.

What a beautiful rendition!...thanks for posting Hellshade!! :drinks:

I predict this is well on it's way to going Viral...the poor girls website has crashed, with people trying to download the song!!

This is the original composer of the Skyrim songs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Soule

And for the REAL hardened fans of the Music...check this out!

http://www.directsong.com/

I just bought it!...cos you get a signed copy! (just dont tell my wife!) :good:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

:drinks: (not my work I should add)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Oh that is priceless VP! Thanks for sharing.

So how did they do on fixing the PC UI? Is it any easier with the mouse now? I'm still hooked on my 360 controller.

Hellshade

They didn't fixed the UI. They haven't changed anything to make the use of the mouse better. They would have to redesign it completely, IMO. They won't do that.

However, they ironed some of the issues, like we can now remap all keys and the mouse is much more stable.

Well at least it's playable, and it's not making me stop to want playing.

PS3 users unfortunately can't say the same. Bethesda should offer them a ram upgrade with the next patch. :grin:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

Now, THAT is just freakin' hilarious!!!!!! :lol:

VP, that "Fus Ro Dah!" vid is hilarious :lol::drinks:

As regards the patch, I never had any problems with the mouse interface. Works fine now, worked fine before. HOWEVER, the patch said it fixed the "dragons flying backwards" bug. I'd never seen that before the patch, but I have seen it after. And let me tell you, it's a bad thing. Bassackwards dragons are impossible to hit while airborne, go up when they want to land, breathe up when they want to strafe, and are pretty much impossible to interact with. So I just walked away from it while it circled bassackwards overhead and got further away the more they tried to attack me.

Fortunately, I've only run into 1 of them so far, but it was one of those that roost on a mountain and patrol the surrounding area, so it pretty much ruined my hunt of it. I'll be back for it later, hopefully with it flying forwards. I've run into several other dragons since then that flew normally so I have hope.

One of thse dragons showed up while I was in Riverwood so I got to witness it attacking a village. Sadly, it breathed frost so didn't do much damage to the place. What was funny was that most of the villagers didn't pay any attention--only the guards and combat-oriented NPCs like the blacksmith and the archer trainer reacted. However, after I killed it on the bridge at the edge of town, everybody came running to gawk at the bones and acted all awed by my prowess :cool: . I've attached a pic.

I also came across the remains of a guy who was baled up with some hay and left to die, with a bottle of mead just out of his reach. So I took a pic of that, too :grin:

post-45917-0-33440500-1323055777.jpg

post-45917-0-21670400-1323055809.jpg

Does anyone know if there is a way to level up your NPC? I have just read that your NPC's stats are based on when they first met / joined you. Now I obtained Lyndia very early on. I have not progressed very far level 14 but now after many fights I would like like to have to pick another NPC. If what I have read is true Lyndia would be stuck at about 4 or 5.

Is there a mod that would level NPC's to a percentage of yours or any other way for them to keep pace, so to speak.

Regards MarkL

Is there any way to stop being a Vampire??.... I really hate it!...it's spoiling the game for me!

Does anyone know if there is a way to level up your NPC? I have just read that your NPC's stats are based on when they first met / joined you. Now I obtained Lyndia very early on. I have not progressed very far level 14 but now after many fights I would like like to have to pick another NPC. If what I have read is true Lyndia would be stuck at about 4 or 5.

I read the same thing but I don't think it's correct. In fact, I'd be shocked if it was true. Most of the game mechanics of Skyrim come from Fallout and in Fallout, your NPC buddies level up with you. Sure, they're matched to your level when you meet them, but they're not stuck there. So I doubt they're stuck in Skyrim.

For some reason, I still haven't dumped Lydia (we're like "The Honeymooners", I guess). I think I got her about level 8 and I'm 24 or so now, and she's still effective in combat. Thus, my observation is that NPC groupies level up with you.

BTW, we can all use shouts in real life, just like that preacher in VP's vid. Be sure to get this for Xmas :cool:

http://nuance.software.net/store/swnet/ContentTheme/pbPage.nuanceus-ms_dragon-naturally-speaking-11-home/ThemeID.16645600?utm_medium=ps&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Dragon&utm_term=dragon_speech&resid=Tty8swoBAlgAAB33UFwAAAAM&rests=1323089078571

BTW, we can all use shouts in real life, just like that preacher in VP's vid. Be sure to get this for Xmas :cool:

http://nuance.softwa...s=1323089078571

You see it in futuristic TV shows and movies; people dictating their thoughts directly to a computer. "Captain's log: Stardate 2073…" Well it's no longer science fiction. The world has been waiting for dictation software that's easy to use and extremely accurate.

I bet this will sell well among the trekkie fans.

:lol:

Is there any way to stop being a Vampire??.... I really hate it!...it's spoiling the game for me!

Is that because your hairy palms keep making your hand slide off your mouse??grin.gif

This guy is slightly-obsessed with Skyrim. Edited by Shiloh

Morrowind Overhaul 2.0:

I will be keeping an eye out for this one. Looks like 1.3 is still the latest one you can download.

Good to see they are still making mods for this. Another one I never finished.

Cheers MarkL

I read the same thing but I don't think it's correct. In fact, I'd be shocked if it was true. Most of the game mechanics of Skyrim come from Fallout and in Fallout, your NPC buddies level up with you. Sure, they're matched to your level when you meet them, but they're not stuck there. So I doubt they're stuck in Skyrim.

For some reason, I still haven't dumped Lydia (we're like "The Honeymooners", I guess). I think I got her about level 8 and I'm 24 or so now, and she's still effective in combat. Thus, my observation is that NPC groupies level up with you.

http://nuance.software.net/store/swnet/ContentTheme/pbPage.nuanceus-ms_dragon-naturally-speaking-11-home/ThemeID.16645600?utm_medium=ps&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Dragon&utm_term=dragon_speech&resid=Tty8swoBAlgAAB33UFwAAAAM&rests=1323089078571

I hope you are correct as I can not think of dumping Lydia either at this time.

Regards MarkL