Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

AMI numbers questions....

trying to wrap my head around HOW the number work on AMI aircraft. Using the 6 & 7 stromo 104 skins as a base, can one assume that the first number (or numbers deisgnate eithr the stromo or gruppo?) and the 2nd set of digits the actual aircraft number.

as seen below, a 46ABG, with individual number of 01.

I ask because some of the references I looked up mention the main wing/stromo as first 2 (if 2 digit), gruppo/squadron as 3rd and individual aircraft as 4th. Which seems odd, as that only give you 10 aircraft.

or is how I've shown below more likely?

Kevin,

You might have seen this, but check the "Marking" section about a third of the way down:

Italian Air Force

Seems to be XX-YY (where XX is Wing and YY is aircraft number)

Dels

yup! that's where I started!

Kevin,

the code is Stormo number + individual number; probably Gruppo and Squadriglia can be identified only knowing how how the available 99 digits have been divided in the Stormo structure.

In theory (having enough aircrafts) a Stormo is composed by 2 -3 Gruppi and a Gruppo has an organic of 20 aircraft (at the max).

In the past the individual number was from last 2-3 digits of the serial (matricola militare) but today it seems to be an imposed progressive number.

I see! Thank you gents! Makes like a bit eaiser knowing I only have to make 20 decals!!

I see! Thank you gents! Makes like a bit eaiser knowing I only have to make 20 decals!!

20??? That´s a fast job!

I did all Gina numbers for the GAF, over 400....

Still working on GAF Starfighter Decals, which are even much more..... :blink:

Carlo,

Italian G91s they used old numbering system ( Stormo number + last two digits of serial) ... i also have to paint every single combination.

Kevin,

not being lazy ... a Stormo is composed of 2 Gruppi at least and this means 40 individual numbers.