Sign in to follow this  
elephant

Le pilote a l'edelweiss

Here is a detail of the rifle, for you, SirMike...

tumblr_ldfa4qK7Xo1qzt40qo1_500.jpg

Hugault pays much attention to little historical details....

sometimes though, minor details may portrayed erroneously,

like the color of the tapes on the lower lozenge fabric camo of this Alb. D.III (OAW)

(should have been light blue for OAW Werke not salmon for Johannisthal Werke).

In fact I think he has done his research but has been mislead by the same choice of tapes

by the Vintage Aviator May's D.Va, replica...as the leading edge tapes seem to be of the correct color!

Hugault.jpg

Hugault pays much attention to little historical details....

sometimes though, minor details may portrayed erroneously,

like the color of the tapes on the lower lozenge fabric camo of this Alb. D.III (OAW)

(should have been light blue for OAW Werke not salmon for Johannisthal Werke).

In fact I think he has done his research but has been mislead by the same choice of tapes

by the Vintage Aviator May's D.Va, replica...as the leading edge tapes seem to be of the correct color!

That's the trouble with trying to be historically correct.

Once you claim to do so, people will pin you down to each and every little mistake they find.

And your chances are slim, that you'll ever get everything 100% correct.

Hugault pays much attention to little historical details...

Well, a various panel of French trench weapons can actually be seen on the cover: the "crapouillot" bomb-launcher, the periscopic device with mirror for snipers, the VB (Vivan-Bessières) rifle grenade-launcher... Even the pincers carried by the sapper seem to be an accurate model, and the assortment of flasks carried by the homme-soupe with the sheepskin vest gives a fine picture of an everyday trench.

I am very, very fond of Romain Hugault's work. I will have to put this on my Christmas list. :good: