Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

codemasters closes Operation Flashpoint studio

News arrives from GamesIndustry.biz that Codemasters is closing down its Guildford studio, which has previously worked on the recent Operation Flashpoint games, and the poorly received console shooter, Bodycount.

Codemaster’s official statement says that the publisher will be concentrating on growing the teams based at their Warwickshire and Birmingham studios, responsible for racing titles like DiRT, GRID, F1 Online and F1 2011. The closure of the Guildford studio means we’re not likely to see any more shooters from Codemasters in the foreseeable future.<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">The studio closure has affected 66 members of staff, who “are now involved in a consultation period.” The Codemasters statement says that employees at Guildford “will be encouraged to apply for suitable positions on campus and in the Birmingham studio,” where Codemasters plan to form another team to start work on a new racing title.

“As Codemasters looks to take greater leadership in the racing category, the company is proposing a studio structure that adds resource and strengthens our best-in-class racing teams.” reads the statement. “The output from the studios on the Warwickshire campus and in Birmingham is on the increase.”

Dirt 3 was the last racer Codemasters released on PC. We gave it a score of 88 in our Dirt 3 review. F1 2011 is out later this month.

Edited by Dagger

As bad as the last OFP was I don't blame them. They were so close but decided that for PC they wouldn't add stuff such as lean. The AI could lean and shoot..............They decided to take their direct console port and run with it. And look what it got them.

The name OFP may have belonged to Codemasters, but the game was Bohemia Interactive. Codemasters shutting down their shooter group is no loss to me since Bohemia is still going strong making the only shooter sim that I have ever liked and bought (unless you count Star Wars Battlefront).

good point Ruggbutt

shame, as I kinda like the Codemasters rendition of Flashpoint, surely the spirit of original stays strong with BI masters, but DR and RR were for me like modern incarnation of good old Novalogic Delta Force titles. When one stopped bitching it ain't like 2001 original these were quite ok titles, much better than your typical modern warfare fps title. But yeah, some gameplay decisions sucked big time

BOOM BABY. That's what you earn for betraying the original Flashpoint spirit in favor of casual FPS console port clone. And when i say "clone" i'm gentle. Long life to ARMA Armed Assault, the true flashpoint.

Edited by Nix

Codemasters average credit list runs at 200+ names. That's a lot of mortgages to be paying during an economic crisis, particularly on projects that won't make it to print. unfortunate for the job losses, but downsizing is not a bad idea for cm.