Sign in to follow this  
deanklef

upgrading to Windows 7

I'm thinking about upgrading my PC to windows 7 from windows xp and was wondering how well it works with all the SP 1 games.

Is it better? How about SF1 and FE1?

Deanklef

For Windows 7 . you'd be better off with the SF2 Series as they Utilize the DX10 Shaders for better performance.

Yeah I'm in the same "boat" i want to upgrade but have a lot of stuff the i don't know if they will run on Win 7 including SF1 based versions and I doubt that Papyrus AKA Sierra is going to update Nascar2003 for win 7 or big brother M$ going to do a patch for CFS2 just to name a few.

btw i have a hot new shinny Win7 OS disk raging to get started and I have my new HDD and 4 gig ram upgrade in the shopping cart at tigerdirect waiting to turn the key............... Turn your key, sir. TURN YOUR KEY!

SF/NotAny: OS except Win7 approaches

Edited by colmack

OK that good to Know, I have a few win 7 boxes around the house "not mine" I just havn't tried to install it on them.

I've installed all four SF1 titles on my new W7 rig and, whilst it was a bit of a retro blast, the performance disappoints when compared to the SF2 titles despite SF2 titles having many new 3D aircraft models and 1024x1024 skins as opposed to 512x512 skins on the flyables. I noticed that anti-aliasing is far better on SF2 series too.

My advice - Go W7 and grab the SF2 titles one per month, not for financial reasons but just to enjoy the sense of anticipation! In a few short months you'll have the full 'anthology' and, by then, SF2NA might be out...

Yeah I'm in the same "boat" i want to upgrade but have a lot of stuff the i don't know if they will run on Win 7 including SF1 based versions and I doubt that Papyrus AKA Sierra is going to update Nascar2003 for win 7 or big brother M$ going to do a patch for CFS2 just to name a few.

btw i have a hot new shinny Win7 OS disk raging to get started and I have my new HDD and 4 gig ram upgrade in the shopping cart at tigerdirect waiting to turn the key............... Turn your key, sir. TURN YOUR KEY!

SF/NotAny: OS except Win7 approaches

is it not possible to keep BOTH operating systems (on a separate partitions)? Using boot menu you'd be able to choose wich OS to boot.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit. Performance does not really change much if any between XP and Win 7 for the SF1 series, but the security setup in Win 7 causes some problems with the default installation. So, either Windows 7 has to be tweaked or the much easier solution is to install the games in an unprotected folder rather than the default "Program Files" folder. Also, if you run the series one games at a lower patch revision than the last WoI related patch level, the terrain shaders will cause the games to CTD upon ending a mission. There are only two ways to fix this: disable the shaders in the terrain ini files or apply the final SF1/WoX series patch.

Upgrading to the SF2 series is definitely the way to go for performance, appearances, cockpit detail, avionics, and gameplay... too many improvements to list. But there are some losses. The most obvious is multiplayer. But almost no one uses multiplayer, so that is no loss for most people. In recent SF2 patches, there were changes made in the way objects are drawn at long distances which has made many people unhappy. TK has provided an ini switch to disable the new system, but that defeats its purpose of solving sorting issues and increasing performance when there are a lot of details. As part of this same "improvement", clouds cannot exist below a certain altitude, which makes clouds a lot less realistic/usuable, especially for historical weather patterns. There is a lesson here: if you complain to TK about a graphics issue, he will fix it, but you might not like the fix! Overall, SF2 with all of its expansion packs and latest patches is way better than SF1 at any patch level or even the earlier SF2 iterations. My sole interest in SFP1/Wox is for multiplayer.