Olham

Totally OT: The Retirement of Dave Ball

I guess hardly anyone knows this man - Shredward may be?

But I post mostly totally Topic, so now I take the freedom to do something as "off-topic" as could be.

Searching through YouTube, I was amazed, how many Procol Harum live videos I found there.

Amazed, and then a bit - well, not sad, but moist eyes, you know, about the old days, and to realise

how long ago all that is. I then searched Google for Dave Ball, who was the guitarist of Procol Harum

after Robin Trower had left. Ball didn't stay very long and is not to be heard on any studio album.

But he played a wonderful electric guitar on the Super-Album

"Procol Harum live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra & the Da Camera Singers".

Later he became a programmer for IBM, went to Australia, and 2011, just for fun,

he made some videos about his retirement; he even plays guitar in one or two.

Of course I don't mean to say, he was the best musician. Gary's vocals are hauntingly special,

his piano classic; B.J. Wilson was a great special drummer, perfect for the band; Matthew Fisher's

organ 'celestial'; Robin Trower's guitar so well infected by Jimi Hendrix, and and and..

A very special gang...

If you now ask yourself, what all this is about, since you don't even know "Procol Harum" - then forget

about it; it was just one of the sentimental moments - or you could go and get some of their records;

or have a look into YouTube. Here's one of their rockers - beware - dirty language:

Edited by Olham

Loved Procol Harum back in the day. Still do actually. Lost count how many times back in the late '60s and ealry '70s I slow danced with some comely lass to "A Whiter Shade of Pale". Good times. Some hazy ones as well, but still good.

Live with the Edmonton Orchestra was my second LP ever. The first was Pendulum from Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Sure that number could send me thrills down the spine, Lou, and it was the song I made my first slow dance to, ever.

It was in a German-French holiday camp, and her name was Marie-Therése...

Memoires de la jeunesse...

Sid, "A Salty Dog" would probably be the one album I would pick out of all, if I could only take one of each band to the island -

although it would be a tough choice; I also love the first one a lot, and the "Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra...", and, and...

Von Paulus, you are a man with taste - The "Edmonton..." live album is such a great album, and IMHO the best album any rock band

ever made with an orchestra and choir.

Just in case you don't know the also very great "King Biscuit Radio Show" recordings of Procol Harum live with Orchestra & Choir 1973

at the "Hollywood Bowl" - have a listen in Procol Harum's website. Although it was a bootleg for a long time, they have now made it

available here. The 'Encore' song "TV Cesar" ends brilliantly with a blending into "Rule Britannia" - phantastic!

Just scroll down and click the line at the bottom: "Listen to the concert live here"

http://www.procolharum.com/hollywood.htm

It was very common for people to get Married to 'A Whiter shade of pale'...my sister did!....and enjoyed her divorce party several years later with "Always look on the bright side of life!" :grin:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Procol were OK but I really liked the first few Robin Trower albums after he left them

Davy, I have Robin's albums too, and like "Twice removed from yesterday" and "Bridge of Sighs" most.

I also love Robin's contributions to the Procol Harum albums; especially to "Broken Barricades" a lot.

Great guitarist!

Seems Robin is still touring with his own band (though not the original trio anymore).

At least he had been in German TV program "Rockpalast" in 2005 - see here: