Skyviper

Marine shoots a man's coon dog (dawg)

I guess we had to be there. I don think he went out to try to shoot a dog just for the hell of it. The owner is responsible for controlling his dog.

Totally agrees. If you reread the first post. The initial thoughts of the guy was it was Coyotes. It could make a difference

Also, saying "go in the house" is one thing. It stated the guy's wife and infant were getting out of the car or something? You know that can take several minutes to accomplish, and a dog running straight at you can be there in just seconds.

I suppose he could've tried a warning shot into the ground in front of it first, but maybe again he didn't feel the time was there.

hindsite is 20/20 and there are prob lots of things that might have been tried. but it was dark and an unknown animal seemed to be a threat and retreat didn't seem to be an option. a rabib chipmonk can ruin your year so why take a chance on something much bigger that could be a dog,could be a coyotee could be sick for all we know.I'm sorry as much as I love dogs I will choose my wife and child's safety over any dog 100 times out of 100. maybe things were nots as stated here but going by the info as retold here i do not fault the guy.I have had to use force against a coyotee that was chasing my cat. I'm a big guy and it was still tough for me to fight it off( being barefoot and in boxers didn't help)I can only imagine if I was trying to protect something as unweildy as a woman carrying an infant rather than an agile cat. I feel bad for the dog and the dogs owner but I still would want to know why the dog was roaming around unattended at night? I'm pretty sure if the dog was just a short ways from the owner at the time of the warnign shot he would have said something to the effect of WTF are you shooting at me for.

Let the court decide. It all sounds pretty cut and clear. The fact that he's a Marine has no bearing, but the fact that the neighbor bought the dog for $2000 and is suing for $4500 may. In fact I feel that it may work against the dog owner in the first place. It all comes down to state. A good trade to keep the peace between the neighbors would have been a wise offer, but going the legal route may tear these guys apart.

Settle it outside of court, men.

PS. Jedimaster, Marines never fire warning shots. There is no point. It is seen as a negligent discharge in a civilian setting, anyway.

Edited by exhausted

@Crazyhorse

This is the Marine.

I appreciate and respect your point of view. However Skyviper didn't provide all of the facts. When I shot the dog it was within twenty five feet of my wife and baby at a dead run. It was a red tick english coonhound. Weighed 70lbs. The direction the dog was running would've intercepted my wife and baby from making into the house. My wife weighs 120lbs, the baby weighs 24. This occurred at 10:30 during the night. I'm a dog lover and do not believe any animal should die needlessly; however, I happen to love my family more. I broke no laws but was judged to pay for loss of property in civil court and would gladly pay that again to defend my family. I am well prepared to defend my loved ones against any threat and would be willing to lay my life down in their defense. Let no man or creature lay harm to your loved ones. In my humble opinion any man that would does not have the right to call themselves a man. Furthermore I did not volunteer to defend my country to simply be held prisoner in my home by a dog. I will not set idly by because that's the problem with the world today with people sitting idly by allowing threats to imprison them.

[Dictated by the Marine. Written by Skyviper]

Edited by Skyviper

Yeah that gave me goosebumps writing that.

I'm afraid Marines don't give me goosebumps at all...but, each to their own I guess :grin: