UK_Widowmaker

What is this sh**

Thats what Ubisoft does to their franchises. Did you not heed the warning R6: Vegas delivered?

Edited by JonathanRL

We are far away from B.I.A: Hell's Highway... Jonathan summed it up well. If Ubisoft continued in this direction, as far as either good, a WWI Silent Hunter would be welcome.

Ubi will do what it's always done...make games that it thinks people wants apparently based on reading goat entrails or something.

Doesn't matter how well a game sold, the next game "has to broaden the appeal" by making it as much like the next game as possible.

I have to ask though, what do gamers want?

How many folks bitch because a successor to a previous FPS is 'more of the same'...

Yet, when a developer decides to shake up the proven seller it's 'ya done messed it up!'...

So, ask yourself the question...'What would I want in a successor shooter?'...lets use BiA as a reference.

And be specific...no 'I want a better experience' which is the same as saying 'I have no idea but I know when I see it'...a bulls**t answer.

Also, the answers have to be feasible and cost effective (ie, no 'AI that would pass the Turing test').

Finally, the answer has to guarantee to sell at least as well as the previous iteration of the franchise.

FC

For me, usually I just want better graphics and improved (over the previous version, not modern-day HAL) AI.

Hell, for some old classics just give me the SAME game with a modern update! I'd pay full price for "Ghost Recon 2012" being nothing more than a DX11-enabled remake of the original, maybe with the caveat of seeing the gun in FP instead of just a crosshair. Other than that (ok, maybe get rid of the pointless banter at the start of each mission that just seems WAY lame) I'd be fine with it as-is!

Yes, there are lots of lame gamers who do just that...whine that the game is either too similar or too different (a lot like how people will be with film sequels)...but I think those are people who think it's cool to complain. Can't risk letting anyone know you like something unless it's old. So X is crap until the sequel, then X was good and the sequel sucked. But I ignore their opinions, they're not informed, just whiny.

• Like 1

I'd pay full price for "Ghost Recon 2012" being nothing more than a DX11-enabled remake of the original, maybe with the caveat of seeing the gun in FP instead of just a crosshair.

Dude I'd preorder that!

Here's what I want (and yes they are remakes):

I would love older games with modern engines.

Here are some:

Interstate 76 (with cut scenes in engine - a la Half Life)

No One Lives Forever (the original...the sequel is still 'Good Enough')

BattleZone

Homeworld

Strike Commander (this is one we could almost do now with custom missions in SF2 - it would just lack the storyline cutscenes)

Wings of Glory

Deus Ex (Oh HELL YA - BioWare...)

Don't alter the storylines, or basic gameplay, just give me a shiny modern engine.

FC

• Like 1

100% FC, I'd throw into the wishlist Laser Squad and Flashback

• Like 1

I agree on that FC... I still play the original Deus Ex and I have installed on my Laptop Fallout 1 and 2! I just want an AI that is intelligent as my FPS of choice is the Stalker Series with Mods of course...currently running through STALKER Call of Pribyat with the Misery Mod and damn is it hard even the AI got a nice work over getting Flanked by 2 guys while one is pinning you in place with fire and grenades is fun especially when you have Mosin Nagent 1891 and no armour one hit from an AK and its good night from him and its good night from me... Biggest problem is that most games nowadays seem to be created for the consoles and then ported to PC. The only thing that they cannot do that with is a Flight Sim though Microswipe will give it a damn good go... I still see me playing old games for a long time to come...

BattleZone

Homeworld

Battlezone is freeware nowadays for people who want it.

http://www.battlezone1.com/

But yes, those who games would be perfect for HD remakes. All they would need is a new engine that would support the improved graphics, change nothing else.

I would LOVE a remake of Strike Commander!...the only Jet game I ever really got 'in to'

Better acting!!

For the love of all that is holy, hire some f$%&ing writers that know how to write dialogue for someone older than 18 AND hire some actors who know how to act!!! I don't care how visually wonderful or how compelling the gameplay supposedly is, if the dialogue is cheesy, badly written tripe, it kills what's left of the immersion. I can't play a console game these days for that reason, hammy, crappy... just woeful acting! If you're spending tens of millions on producing a product, DON'T SKIMP OUT ON DIALOGUE. Goddamn Deux Ex and Modern Warfare made me want to throw a brick at my screen! I haven't played the new Ghost Recon yet, but I'd bet a nut that the acting will suck. The General from GRAW 1&2 was WAY OTT and just about every action shooter is as well these days.

Case in point:

We deserve better than this. This^^ is just... insulting.

...now excuse me, I need to have a little lie down after that vent.

Edited by SayWhatt

Actually, she was really one of the only low points in all of DE3. I find most RPGs have 10x better writing/voice acting than FPS games where it's an afterthought at best. The KOTOR and ME games from Bioware and Obsidian were good.

Seems the more "mainstream" they want the FPS game to be, the worse it is. Homefront was pretty bad in that respect, as were the GRAW and R6:Vegas games. Last FPS games that did it well for me were the Monolith ones, like FEAR, AvP2, and NOLF.

Edited by JediMaster

Monolith...if there is ever a company that gets shafted for being different, it's those guys. NOLF, NOLF2, TRON 2.0...all fantastic FPS games that simply didn't make the sales numbers.

Then there is The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. A fantastic FPS, multiple award winner, a good game not just for movie tie-ins, but in general. Rated highly by critics and gamers. And nobody bought it...

FC

You get the Assault on Dark Athena sequel to BB? It had BB redone with better graphics, great game as well.