Sign in to follow this  
Geary

Finally Got an A-4 with a Sting

Just picked up the Third Wire DLC A-4G Skyhawk Royal Australian Navy and the A-4K Royal New Zealand Air Force.

Finally feel like I have some defense against enemy fighters while flying an A-4.

The A-4G carries 4 Aim-9 missiles. Just for Fleet Defense. No ground attack.

And the A-4k can carry 2 Aim-9, and with some tweaking 2 AGM-65 AGM or 2 GBU-16 Paveway laser guided bombs. That's after the Project Kahu upgrades, according to my favorite questionable information source, Wikipedia.

Currently I have only been able to install AGM2-Walleyes and GBU-11 Paveway. Trying to run down the hangup in not being able to carry AGM-65 and GBU-16 munitions.

Now I don't feel so exposed flying these Skyhawks. Can actually guide the paveway to the target and turn and fire A2A Sidewinders at those annoying MiG's.

A-4K-1.jpg

Geary, I moved this topic, as you'd posted in the 1stGen forums!! :biggrin:

hope you don't mind!

Does the TW A-4G only have a token strike capacity? They had a fleet defence role, yes, but I know for a fact that the RAN's A-4Gs could move some mud! Seriously awesome piece of kit!

Edited by SayWhatt

Wrench,

I don't mind you moving this to the correct forum. Thanks for watching out for me.

SayWhatt,

The loadout.ini comes preloaded for strike and attack with rockets and bombs. I just love that it will carry four A2A missiles in it's primary defence role. And the 4-K carries 2 A2A with 2 laser guided bombs as well as rockets and dumb bombs. I like the 4-K because I can strike and defend at the same time.

I was not much of an American standard A-4 fan due to it's lack of self-defense weapons, but these make me feel better about being able to shoot back when necessary. :sohappy:

The 4-G would've been a big hit with the USN/USMC A-4 pilots during Operation Bolo. Imagine the NVPAF surpise at being shot at with missiles when they attacked slow-and-low Skyhawk formations with 4-G's trailing the strike planes.

Edited by GearyMcS

This A-4 has a sting, Its got 2 Skyflash and 4 Sidewinders, the two 20 mm cannon removed and a short barreled version of the vulcan installed on the port side with the ammo box on the starboard side, oh and a burner on the tailpipe.

img00074.JPG

Edited by MAKO69

:biggrin:

Must be from "The Wingman" universe!!

Geary, look up the 1960s VSF- Navy squadrons, in particular those that used Scooters.

C, and iirc, B have been able to use 'winders for sometime (both in game and Real Life ™

there's a VSF-1 'Warhawks' A-4C_65 skin in d/l section

This A-4 has a sting, Its got 2 Skyflash and 4 Sidewinders, the two 20 mm cannon removed and a vulcan installed on the port side ammo box on the starboard side, oh and a burner on the tailpipe.

LoL, that sounds like a bad-ass MiG-17 slayer to me :focus:

There's no way, a M61 would fit into the airframe, though. I always thought, the israelis got it quite right with their twin 30mm-outfit. Another 20mm-upgrade would be fitting M39s, instead of the jamming-prone Colf Mk4s.

BTW: Some A-4Fs alredy could drop LGBs during Op. Linebacker...

MAKO69,

WOW! Where did that A-4 come from?