Sign in to follow this  
Olham

For all with Worries

Now summer is standing in the open door, about to travel south.

The mornings are getting a bit chillier, the first leaves are turning yellow.

I am at school again since 5 weeks, and I must say it is a tough job. I had forgotten

how hard learning and memorising were. When I come home, I am not even in any

mood to fly (which is a very serious sign of stress for me).

But I also think it does me good. Not sure at all, if I can still become a fully cerified

web designer, but even if not - I guess I will learn enough to become at least an

uncertified one. Why bother?

In the evenings, I often just listen to one of my hundreds of records.

It brings me back down and makes me feel homely and comfortable.

For all who carry a burden - or maybe more than one - have a short moment

of rest and listen to this little piano piece by Eric Satie. Perhaps it helps a little.

Hang in there, hoss. You'll make it. And don't worry if you can't keep it all straight in your mind at once. When I went through computer school,I was massively confused in every course until the half-way point, and then things seemed to fall together and make sense. I recall being told that in the early days of computer chip making, they discovered that 80% of the commands sent to the CPU used only 20% of the chip's abilities. I find the same for lots of programs; for example, Photoshop. 80% of what I do uses about 20% of Photoshop. If I need the rest, I'll get my copy of "Photoshop for Dummies" and figure it out.

For relaxation, try Vaugh Williams "Variation on a Theme by Thomas Teller and/or "Variations on Greensleeves". Or most any chamber music quartet from the classical era, i.e., Bach, Haydn or Scarletti. Great stuff. It'll mellow you right out. Or, AC/DC cranked up 'til the glass in the windows blows out.

Edited by Hauksbee

Thanks, Hauksbee!

Well, AC/DC were never my cup of tea so much, but I have other noisy stuff I can use.

My problem is, I don't want to learn to take an engine apart and re-compose it -

I only want to drive the damn car. When I read the scripts and explanations, they make

perfect sense to me. But if I must write similar new own scripts, my formulas always

look different than those from the book. (I had the same problem already in school

with mathematics...)

:crazy:

But if I must write similar new own scripts, my formulas always look different than those from the book.

I fully understand. I have never been good at math, and useless at any form of computer coding. (must be a right-brain, artist thing.) When I was in computer school, I recall a fellow student lamenting to the instructor, "My coding doesn't work". And the reply was, "It never does. The way to proceed is, (1) First you write the code, and then (2) you hammer on it for a few hours." I took his point to be that, for most of us in this world, coding is not intuitive, and everbody racks their brains over it. You're the only one.

Yeah, I asked one of the "real cracks" today (he had offered to "look at my code" to check it),

and I found him helpless. He was amazed to see my way of approaching the problem, and found

it looked "logical somehow". He only found some wrong bits, I had to solve the other problems

myself. Ghasp!

Hang in there Olham. I know what it is like to go back to school. I graduated High School in 1971. I went through Technical school for 2 years after that to become an auto mechanic. Never went to work as a mechanic, I worked as a welder, machinist, maintance man, and a farm worker. I was hurt in a farming accident in 1988. Iwas disable for awhile until I went back to college at 43 yo. I spent six years in college to become a pharmacist. I graduated in 2001 and haven't looked back since. I know you can do anything you put you mind to I am living proof of that. When I first started wanting to go to pharmacy school I was told my math skills were to low. I told them my skills were low because I only had General Math way back when I was a freshman in High School. I showed them I could do it by teaching myself algebra so I could score higher on my SAT test. I took that test and scored in the top 25% of the country that year. That took away their arguments and off to college I went. I know you can do it.

Best Wishes and happy flying John

Edited by Mr_Dirt

Olham, if you need something to cheer you up, you can't miss with some zydeco. It's all about getting happy.

Here's a good one, that's not even in French :).

Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Yeah, from our brothers with the darker tan we can definitely learn what coolness is, and rythm.

Makes you swing at once!

Here is a sweet example - the power of reggae:

It's great to go back to school :) Over the last two years I've been slowly working on my MN as a part-time student in a distance program (can't afford to be fulltime...bills to be paid, family to support etc) and still have my thesis to research and write. Trying to find stick-time is becoming an art-- easier as I get further along and know what hoops to jump through. Suddenly it gets into a routine and you know it's all good. When I first went back I found it very discomfitting; having to re-learn how to learn and all that, unsure if I was smart enough and so forth. Those jitters go away eventually, especially if you avail yourself of your instructors expertise and guidance-- thats what they are there for, and there is no shame in asking for help. Remember back to your service days-- the only dumb question is the one not asked. Good job on going back, Olham! I wish you only the very best :) Oh and as to music...I'd choose some baroque, Mozarts sonata's...and the glorious voice of Loreena McKennit.

Edited by Baldric