Greedings dear What-If:ers

I am going to be so bold as to ask some of you for a little help; in a good way. Next on the table for TSF (after I completed my current project) is a larger, modern campaign with Norway, Finland, Poland and Sweden defending the Baltic countries from Russia. Flyable Aircraft so far are F-16, F-18 & JAS 39 Gripen.

However, the Baltic states Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania has no Air Forces of their own. That is why the Baltic Air Policing is in place by NATO. What I would like to request from you is your take on the Air Forces of these countries. Should you choose to accept the challenge, you are going to give them a Squadron of an aircraft of your choice and skin it accordingly, complete with a national insignia.

I know I am asking for alot, but I also know What-If people tends to like a challenge, so that is why I am putting this up here.

There is no need to rush, my current project is only 50% complete and I will most likely want a little break after that is done, so take your time. The thread may also serve for suggestions, discussions and so on what the Baltic Countries would chose.

Edited by JonathanRL

Here's an idea (I am no modder or skinner) that they have a Joint Airforce incorperating all the flags. Also looking at what they could afford this would make it easier on all of them. Probably picking up cheap F-16A MLU's from Belgium or The Netherlands...

Cracking idea Jonathan. So the timeline is the present, yes?

2014. "Later" so it is Plausible, but Early so that the "Gripen NG" is not available (since we do not have one of those yet...)

After work tonight I will attempt a Baltic Gripen - not sure which nation yet.

You might want to add MiG29 to flyables, Poles are flying them from there, Czarny has done some great skin for it. Also Czech gripens were part of the grippen packs so there might only need to add to the nations.

Slarti's idea is also great about the "JointAirforce".

You might want to add MiG29 to flyables, Poles are flying them from there, Czarny has done some great skin for it. Also Czech gripens were part of the grippen packs so there might only need to add to the nations.

Slarti's idea is also great about the "JointAirforce".

Good point!

I do not like the idea of all three nations sharing an Air Force. They have different stances towards Russia, different policies etc etc. Having one per country (or one per one or two of them) is prob the best way to go.

The MiG 29 will most likely be a Polish Flyable, yes but atm; I want the Baltic ones ;-). This campaign is at the stage where nothing is done yet.

Well, the Lithuanian Attack Squadrons are decided at least ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_Air_Force

Edited by JonathanRL

What about ex-Luftwaffe F-4F ICE? They are soon to be replaced (next year) un Germany and rumored to be offered to Croatia. They would be a cheap stopgap.

What about ex-Luftwaffe F-4F ICE? They are soon to be replaced (next year) un Germany and rumored to be offered to Croatia. They would be a cheap stopgap.

No Campaign of mine is ever going to have a F-4 in it if I can help it. I like the bird, but in SF-2; I had quite enough of it.

Latvian Gripen will be shown here real soon!

Looking forward to see it :)

Btw, I think I asked this before, but is there any Free-to-use NH90 Helicopters?

Edited by JonathanRL

SAAB Gripen - No.1 'White Wagtail' Squadron, Latvian Air Force, 2014

LATVIA%20GRIPEN.01_zpsebf54baf.jpg

LATVIA%20GRIPEN.02_zpsccae512b.jpg

LATVIA%20GRIPEN.03_zpsefdc3442.jpg

LATVIA%20GRIPEN.04_zpsbc20efb6.jpg

1. The White Wagtail is the national bird of Latvia.

2. Excuse the lack of 21st Century weapons - I'm stuck in the Cold War!

That one looks pretty neat, Spinners. Well done!

McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom - Lithuanian Air Force, 2014

LITHUANIA%20F-4E%20PHANTOM.01_zps64cdc089.jpg

LITHUANIA%20F-4E%20PHANTOM.02_zps1cf6a67e.jpg

LITHUANIA%20F-4E%20PHANTOM.03_zpsb8715715.jpg

As this is a 'what if' I've created a lo-viz version of their national marking (which has way too much white in it). The fictional nosebar marking utlises elements of the Lithuanian Coat of Arms and the Lithuanian Flag.

Edited by Spinners

No Campaign of mine is ever going to have a F-4 in it if I can help it. I like the bird, but in SF-2; I had quite enough of it.

Oh, that's sad. I would have even offered to make some skins for the Estonian AF, including spiffy new camo (and hastily overpainted old German camo) ;)

But as I see, Spinners also thought about the Phantom...

Edited by PraetorH

I do not like the idea of all three nations sharing an Air Force. They have different stances towards Russia, different policies etc etc. Having one per country (or one per one or two of them) is prob the best way to go.

I was thinking more in the line as the JointAirforce is covering the Squadrons that Nato members are sending (have sent so far) for policing purpose. Having Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania their own sqadrons as nation specific is perfectly normal.

Jonathan - I posted your request at the What If Modelers website and some ideas have been posted overnight:

Rafale's (heavily subsidised by France as they've hardly sold any at all overseas), early block F-16's (straight from AMARC), M2000's and/or MiG 29's (ex Indian), ex RAF Jaguars... or if you really want to 'go the extra mile' Mitsubishi F-2's sold-off as a result of the second sunami disaster

Don't forget ex-RN or ex-USMC Harriers/AV-8's for CIS!

Something with an anti-armour focus wouldn't go astray, either..... A-10's, if cost isn't an issue.

Agree with that - and there are a coupla hundred at Davies-Monthan, just have a look on G**gle E*rth (other on-line mapping sites are available !!).

Ex-RN Harriers is a good idea. The general idea is that cost in an issue - an Air Force is _expensive_. Estonian Harrier Gr 9 perhaps? The Latvian Gripen was so nice, I probably want that one into the mod.

A-10 is nice, but I do not really see why they would buy it when their probably would go for a Swing-Role.

if you need a Mirage 50 you were to come right? :lol:

Nope, I need something almost completly different, but since I am still waiting for that I decided to put this project inbetween :big_boss:

im can get to much involed on this im devoting my to Mirages now.

But i can shoot my mouth off whit sugestions

here goes

about these

EF-2000 brand new

Tornado F3/GR4 second hand from RAF

SeaHarrier ex-Royal Navy

Mirage 2000 second hand

F-18E/F

Su-30Mk if it still around some were?

well pretty much it

The way I see it, the Baltic Air Forces must qualify under theese rules:

1: Cheap to buy. Economics are the same everywhere.

2: Pref cheap to Operate. Must be able to patrol alot, due to the border with the Russians.

3: Modern enough to be credible.

4: Quick Take-off Procedure; again due to border being so close.

Ex Harriers, Ex Tornados, New Gripens (maybe even used A versions, but all those got converted to C, so..), F-16s, maybe even F-15s if there is enough airframes in good enough order. F-18 Hornet (Not Super version, only standard).