Sign in to follow this  
daddyairplanes

Marine Phantom books

does anyone know of any books just on USMC Phantoms? i'm particularly looking for pics and info from the 80's, but any is welcome. looking for something like the color & markings series (i have all USAF and USN Phantoms from that series on digits) and regrettably lost my copy of First to Fight a couple of years ago but not paying amazon prices right now. if you all know of any other resources please let me know. TIA.

http://modelfan.ru/

hit the 'translate to English' button at the top, and be ready to spend MANY hours browsing, it's not very well organized

"Phantom over Vietnam" by John Trotti....puts you right in the cockpit with him. Amazing how the Marine Squadrons, though at the bottom of the priority list on parts, frequently flew high sortie rates....on tires with the belt showing through, much less any tread on them. Night flying in weather that would scare the hell out of me....great read

thanks for the replies all. your second post could be quite helpful Sundowner, i have Grey Ghosts already tho. agreed a good book, with much on the navy side for lo-viz, TPS. little sketchier on the Marines tho but some good shots nonetheless. i also have Phantoms over Vietnam GASCAN, good read but alas i need reference photos........ been strippin the net for all the model decals i can find too. a preliminary on why i ask....

"Phantom over Vietnam" by John Trotti....puts you right in the cockpit with him. Amazing how the Marine Squadrons, though at the bottom of the priority list on parts, frequently flew high sortie rates....on tires with the belt showing through, much less any tread on them. Night flying in weather that would scare the hell out of me....great read

Very good book...I'm honestly surprised Trotti didn't put out more books after that.

• Like 1

Trotti also did "Marine Air - First To Fight" with photos by George Hall in 1986. I pulled my old copy off the shelf and there aren't as many photos as I remember but what there is are great.

The book looks at all the then current USMC aircraft in turn including the F-4 and RF-4 and gives little mission scenarios that wouldn't look out of place in a Strike Fighters install.

You could also try Googling George Hall to see of he has a website or online gallery.

lotta pilots put out one book after vietnam; Trotti, John Flanagan (Vietnam Above the Treetops) and Mason (Chickenhawk). most even said it was more therapy and tell their story than becoming a writer or making money. and First to Fight did have some good photos in it. just a lot of my books haven't made it thru some of the recent moves. at least now the bulk of my library is digital and on 4 diff. hard drives!!!!

for photo reference esp. Navy and USAF Phantoms cant beat the C&M series. 1-24 except for #15. just irked there isnt a #25 USMC F-4 Phantoms!