Sign in to follow this  
ianh755

Does anyone have a Photoshop Texture Filter to make something look Hand-Painted?

Hi there, I'm trying to make a bit of skin look hand painted (streaks, lines like a paint brush would leave) in photoshop CS2 and I've been using the texture filter (Filter-Texture-Texturizer-Canvas) but it looks too strong. Does anyone know of a decent plug-in (brush or texture) that could do the job?

Ta!

Have you tried any under filters-> artistic or brush strokes? Some of those might do the trick. Also, being more specific in what you are trying to do might help.

Hi there, I'm trying to make a bit of skin look hand painted (streaks, lines like a paint brush would leave) in photoshop CS2 and I've been using the texture filter (Filter-Texture-Texturizer-Canvas) but it looks too strong. Does anyone know of a decent plug-in (brush or texture) that could do the job?

Ta!

try:

remove filter, duplicate layer, re-apply filter, turn opacity down.

there are tons of free brushes though.

Cheers folks, the effect I'm trying rather badly to recreate is this - during the Falklands war the Sea Harriers white underside was hand painted in the same Extra Dark Sea Grey as the top half. Now the top half was done with spray guns etc in a paint booth back at base etc so it's smooth where as the rushed hand painted bits were done with rollers and paint brushes so there'd be texture, drag lines etc in the paint. I've done the SkateZilla method but the only texture I've got that kind of fits is the Canvas one which is lines in one direction.

However the mapping of the gun pods and Underside of the elevators is stretched (quite badly for the gun pods) so all this might end up coming to nothing after all as I can't get the fuselage and pods/elevators to match each other. The fuselage looks good but the pods are very stretched.

Here's just the Fuselage, the lines are too thick (smallest setting on effect). You can also see where the White bit of the roundel has been overpainted blue (rough hand painted).

sh104.jpg

And here the Gun Pods added - See what I mean about the mis-match in effect size

sh105.jpg

Try some of the patterns stamps m8, you'll probably need to get ps to load them all as they're all not visible by default, create your pattern on a new layer with a brush of about 2000px plus , then use the blend modes and opacity to get the effect you need....trial and error I'm afraid tho. Also the gunpods are not mapped to the same scale as the fuselage, thats why the effect looks different between the two areas.

might be easier using bump/spec noise layer than trying to paint it on.

Get a photo of some roughly painted surface, import it into PS, desaturate, run high pass filter 5-10px or something so you get a nice tiling texture, then just put it at a slight opacity so it is barely noticeable.

Edited by Julhelm