macelena

Best Vietnam war film?

I'm surprised that no one mentioned "The Deer Hunter" yet. On the whole, I agree with Jedimaster's choices, as well as why he chose them.

BAT 21 was also good, though they really "Hollywooded" the truth in that one. Here's the real story: http://vnafmamn.com/bat21.html

It's a TV movie but i liked A Bright Shining Lie...

Flight of the Intruder, We Were Soldiers are my favorites.

Full Metal Jacket and Platoon.

I had a hard time with We Were Soldiers and Flight of the Intruder (sorry Carlos, but I wrote that before I read your response). Apocalypse Now wasn't even about Vietnam -- it was just a Greek poem set in Vietnam. Bat 21 was great.

Regarding Full Metal Jacket being too surreal... maybe, but it did a fantastic job encapsulating the mentality of the Marine Corps in war, both stateside and abroad. It wasn't bad in that respect. It may have been very quotable, but it was pretty god damn authentic and any enlisted Marine who's gone through San Diego or Parris Island will tell you a myriad of quotes which they heard while there, that will live with them until they die. The over-the-top nature of the Marines was not exaggerated as much as you may think in FMJ.

Edited by exhausted

Fubar's Right Bat21 was pretty much a work of fiction.It went down totally different than

the movie.He was shot down over S.Vietnam and they were also searching for other downed pilots in the area shot down because the North had brought down mobile sam's and AAA to cover their offensive.