Skyviper

Star Wars (not the Lucas or Disney Star Wars)

I remember reading about the old Star Wars program years ago and saw a draving of how a space shuttle can emply the use of a weapon that elemenate an enemy target from the safety of space.

I was wonderingj if it could be sttarted here on Combat Ace what if section.

The cointruction of a space shuttle with sole purpose of the deploying space weapons and secretly destroying targets. I think someone made a shuttle for WOI but the file isn't there.

What your thoughts? Blasting off into space orbit the Earth .. deoploy a satlellie or a weapon to destroy a target and bring your butt back home. Just a radom thought.

The shuttle is more correctly called an "orbiter" because it goes into orbit. SF series games have small square maps with magic barrier walls. There are better sims for conducting shuttle missions. One of them is open/moddable and free. Can you guess the name of this program? ...wait for it... Orbiter

I highly recommend Orbiter. With mods, you can recreate Mercury, Gemini, and the stuff available for Apollo makes DCS look like a sim lite!

Yes in SF2, the sky truly is the limit....

But on a truly serious note, FastCargo did make a Tselina satellite (along with the ASAT missile) and made it so it could be "shot down from space".

Edited by EricJ

As long as the Satellite is geostationary or moved slowly enough not to hit the map limits over the duration of the mission, there would be no problem at all. There is not altitude limit and IIRC, SF sims models the horzion at high altitude fairly well. But the space shuttle is very fast and very early in the launch profile leans over to accelerate into orbit. Other than making nice screenshots of lift-off and initial ascent, I don't see what you could do with a shuttle in the SF series. Whereas sims which model the Earth more correctly as a globe are much more suited to shuttle operations. I know x-plane permits landings, not sure about orbits. But between the payware Space Shuttle Mission Simulator and free Orbiter, I see very few reasons to add the shuttle to other sims.

I had orbiter it was a really cool and educational and frustrating sim. I was just thinking about the "stars wars" program and how cool that would be is all. I will however look into the other suggestions. Thanks!

the 3W games are absolutely NOT built for that ... considering most maps are ~ 1000 km x 1000 km ... and The Wall (as stated above) is 80km in from ALL MAP EDGES -- INCLUDING THE VERTICAL... makes it impossible to do so.

like streak said, you need a game with continious world, not one with boundries (ala CFS or FS)

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 1

If I knew anything about programing I'd make a like a script extender or something... to help modder push beyond the envelope.