I've been playing around a little with the game in the last week or so since I got it, but I feel like I'm missing something for that real cold war immersion - intermediate and short-ranged ballistic missiles. The only one I can name off hand that's actually in the game is the SCUD, and I don't even know if that can be fired, as it usually shows up as a strike target for single missions for me. I'd love for there to be missiles I actually have to get to on time before launch or my home airfield gets it, etc, or cruise missiles that I either have to destroy on the ground or chase all over creation before they take out something important.

Now, cruise missiles such as the Gryphon GLCM and all the other low-altitude weapons can be handled pretty well by the game as is, especially since SF2NA. I haven't seen any ground launchers for the game yet, but I'm fairly confident that if one was built, it would work properly given that surface ships do. All the cruise missiles I can think of have ranges that are within the limits of the map (2500 km for the TLAM-A and GLCM), so there's no need for off-map launching tricks or such either.

But how does the game engine do with ballistic missiles, especially with MIRV or MARV warheads? Most of these are also with the limits of the game range-wise, the SS-20 is the longest-ranged "tactical" missile I can think of and while it has a 5500 km range, that just makes it able to hit anywhere on the map. Can the game handle this?

If it does, than I'm at least willing to try building some of these for the game, so people can build "scud hunts" etc with a little more urgency than the standard apparently non-functional scuds in the game...

trust me; they work. MIRVs however, prolly won't. one single warheads

there's a working (3rdParty) SCUD in the Iraq/Iran SF2 terrain. Tomahawks from the IOWA BB sure works (albeit someimes as SAMs...)

Edited by Wrench

Kevin, remember the sub launched IRBM from a few years ago?

• Like 1

forgot about that one!!

Kevin, remember the sub launched IRBM from a few years ago?

IRBM's? Was this released? That sounds like fun.

IRBM's? Was this released? That sounds like fun.

It was just a periscope, and "fake" (non-lod) missiles, simulating SS-N-4s. They used radar homing, and the trick to get them to launch was to position a radar-equipped "threat", such as a destroyer, nearby. The sub would then attempt to engage the destroyer, but the missile's rapid acceleration and huge turn radius would prevent them from hitting that target. They would instead home-in on strategically-based ASRs (usually placed within a city or port facility), usually 200-400 KM from the launch point.

I made a video of such a launch, following the missile through its flight, right on down to the detonation of its simulated 1 mega-ton warhead, over a port facility on the desert map. The site that the video was hosted on is long-gone. I'd say this was around 2005-2006.

Edited by Fubar512

can achieve something of that effect with the Topol-M?

post-10313-0-28046400-1363712600.jpg

can achieve something of that effect with the Topol-M?

Of course. But it needs to percieve a target/threat in order to launch.

Edited by Fubar512