Sign in to follow this  
Veltro2k

Shock Stroke animation and wheel castoring

Can someone enlighten me on the process please...thank you in advance

Ed

Edited by Veltro2k

I can't remember where I copied this from:

"Shock animation can be done in 10 frames, and is done one way only (from uncompressed to compressed). Now, there is a parameter in the ini which allows for compression during gear retraction if you are having a problem during gear cycling".

Also copied : "My typical technique for gear has been 1-10 (AnimationID=1)for gear cycle, 11-20 (AnimationID=2) for nose shock, then 21-30 for main shock (usually both, but you can break this out if you have spare animations...ie 21-30 (AnimationID=3) for left shock, 31-40 (AnimationID=4) for right shock)".

For castoring I.ve Been putting a mesh (pivot point)between the gear and the parent mesh.

The Zip is from 2005 (Downloaded from CA,Long ago)But most of the stuff still works in SF2.Hope this helps.

StrikeFightersEditingInfo.zip

Edited by RAVEN
  • Thanks 1

Also copied : "My typical technique for gear has been 1-10 (AnimationID=1)for gear cycle, 11-20 (AnimationID=2) for nose shock, then 21-30 for main shock (usually both, but you can break this out if you have spare animations...ie 21-30 (AnimationID=3) for left shock, 31-40 (AnimationID=4) for right shock)".

When possible, this would be preferred. [ I have tried to adjust a lot of landing gears over the years!]

If you have a landing gear with a very simple compression (i.e. movement up the Z-axis), then there is no need to animate it at all. There are entries within the landing gear section to allow it.

Dels

If you have a landing gear with a very simple compression (i.e. movement up the Z-axis), then there is no need to animate it at all. There are entries within the landing gear section to allow it.

Dels

I'm curious, could you post an example? From what I have seen, no animations mean the tire sinks into the ground when under extra load making a short shock stroke best for those situations. No shock stroke, if I remember correctly, results in " pilot black out" at the slightest bump.

I'm not at my modding computer, but if you have a vertical landing gear arm with no scissor link so it just moves up and down with no other moving parts you just need the following in your landing gear section:

ShockTravelAxis=Z-Axis (obviously the mesh pivot needs to be oriented correctly with the Z-axis up).

The ShockStroke will determine how far it moves up and down and the SpringFactor/DampingFactor with determine the rate etc.

Dels