Dave

Open beta of DCS: UH-1H Huey 1.2.4 Released

27.jpg

The UH-1 Iroquois, better known as the Huey, is one of the most iconic helicopters in the world. Indispensable in the Vietnam War, the Huey continues to serve in both military and civilian roles around the globe today. DCS: UH-1H features an updated model of the helicopter armed with rockets, gatling guns, and door gunner machine guns. The simulation offers both extreme realism in its flight and systems modeling as well as a variety of options to reduce the learning curve for new players, including an Easy flight mode. DCS: UH-1H provides multiple player positions, including pilot, co-pilot, and door gunners. A handcrafted storyline campaign is included as well as a number of single missions and a training course.

Recommended system requirements: Operating system 64-bit: Windows Vista and 7; Processor: CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400, AMD Phenom X3 8750 or better; Memory: 4+GB; Hard disk space: 7 GB; Video: Shader 3.0 or better; 896MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 DirectX 9.0c or better; Sound: DirectX 9.0c - compatible; DirectX: 9.0C; requires internet activation.

Minimum system requirements: Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7; Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz; Memory: 3 GB; Free hard disk space: 7 GB; Video: 512 MB RAM card, DirectX 9 - compatible; Sound: DirectX 9.0c - compatible; requires internet activation.

Love it. So far, everything I hoped it would be, and as it is only a "beta", I would dare hope that it is only going to get better.

I'm not epileptic, but you might think I am when you see me try to hover the huey.

Sometimes, I can damp the initial oscillations and get into a great hover and stay in it with very subtle movements of the cyclic... but my lifesize real F-4 stick shaft length gives me a huge edge in precision/sensitivity.

I have no friction or detents, and my centering springs have almost no pull at center.

However, one wrong move and it takes me a while to damp down the oscillations.

I can generally stay in an area the diameter of the runway width, sometimes almost perfectly still.

But my ability to transition from forward flight to a safe steady hover and land on the oil rig is an explosive work in progress.

I can land on the oil rig, but not very often.

I am more likely to transition into a high, non-recoverable sink rate or snap my tail off on the tower or break a skid, or drift off the landing pad and settle down/explode on the larger platform.

I have improved greatly with practice, but it seems to be a steep learning curve... which I love :biggrin:

I was thinking stone. Much more biblical.

"Let my Huey go..."