Sign in to follow this  
MudWasp48

Bagged da Baron and Immelman

WaHooo!!!

I was in charge on flight 2 with 4 wingmen. Flight 1 had Red Murlock and Sam Breadner leading 2 wingmen. We were tasked with patrolling freindly lines south of Lille.  Fairly long flight from our field adjacent to the straight. September 16 1916, beautiful weather with scattered cumulus clouds around 8500'.  I managed to stay about 1/2 mile behind flight 1 and about 500' below when contact came near the front lines. ....Jasta 2 in DIIs...

...I pulled a left hand circle to gain height and let Sam and Red make initial contact. Circled back into the DF and shot down 1 of the last 2 "airmen" from Jasta 2. Regrouped and headed on path...observed flack down low to the left and cruised over to see what was up. Turned out to be The baron, Immelman, Boelcke, and recall seeing another flyer with a name, and 3 or 4 "airmen".

We had the advantage, ordered my guys to atttack and carefully watched the Baron. He broke to the lines, gained height and turned to the fight. I was diving on him as he turned and blew his engine sky high with 2 bursts from my trusty Pup. Almost collided with him. Pulled a loop, and headed back to the DF.  Immelman was headed my way then but below me. I let off 2 burts that hit and pulled another loop, his engine was smoking as he invertd and looped downward. I didn't want to give up all my height advantage and dove at about 125, he pulled an upward loop and I was in perfect position to blast his nose while pulling up to angle the proper deflection. I heard screams just before his engine blew and narrowly missed my attacking dive.

An enemy airman was on my tail, but my wing 3 put a couple burts into him and I looped higher to watch him dispose of the Jasta 2 airman. We headed back to the DF and found it pretty much mopped up. One Jasta 2 ariman up high facing Breadner and one down low running for his life. They didn't last long. We headed back to base and I landed, didn't wait for them to land.

Good fun with OFF

Always get sweaty hands and a pounding heart when facing historical aces.

Good show mate!! But being historical as OFF is, you will get a chance to face them again if you are lucky!!

Yep, they don't die until their historical date... I'm ok with that, but would like to see my kill in the news...LOL

Hey, the grandkids are spending some time next weekend. Boy 5, Girl 7, the girl was bored with FSX and played OFF on easy and did great. She is a good pup pilot

Is there a way to play 2 home computers with each other? A lan kinda thing? Issue may be OS this on w7 and other on windows Vista....

It would be fun to fly with/against them when they do the weekend here.

No big deal just to create pilots for them and play on this machine. I unhooked the pedals for them, they sit on my lap, and use a CH pro-throttle and a Logitech twisty stick.

...observed flack down low to the left and cruised over to see what was up. Turned out to be The baron, Immelman, Boelcke...

The second flyer must have been Hans Imelmann from Jasta 2.

The more famous "Pour-le-Mérite" owner Max Immelmann had already fallen by then.

They often get confused.

Nevertheless it surely was a thriller. I guess that was a great encounter - one of those

special moments in OFF, when immersion is even topped again.

Hans Imelmann at THE AERODROME:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/imelmann.php

...and Max Immelmann:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/immelmann.php

Edited by Olham

Is there a way to play 2 home computers with each other? A lan kinda thing? Issue may be OS this on w7 and other on windows Vista....

It would be fun to fly with/against them when they do the weekend here.

No big deal just to create pilots for them and play on this machine. I unhooked the pedals for them, they sit on my lap, and use a CH pro-throttle and a Logitech twisty stick.

Since it can be done over the internet, although with problems, it can surely be done over a LAN connection. It would also eradicate all the lag issues OFF/CFS3 has online. OS difference is not an issue.

I just don't remember the specifics of connecting OFF on line. It's been too long.

Thanks for the info Dimus!

Olham, I'm sure you are right about the names!

I probably should pause the game and write down names, but it is an immersion killer for me. I'll click on labels for a brief period and that doesn't bother me

No problem, MudWasp - even Germans get the two names mixed up.

Olham's right. And there were no aces in Jasta 2 on that date, except Boelcke. Regardless, sounds like a fun mission!

...there were no aces in Jasta 2 on that date, except Boelcke.

Not that OFF was wrong, MudWasp - Jim means, that von Richthofen and Imelmann WERE in Jasta 2

at that date, but they had not yet reached ace status. They were pretty much unknown pilots then.

Yes, I undterstand the historical aspect of Aces...

...but what a mission!

Love it when my hands sweat so much on the flight stick and throttle and my knees get twitchy controling the pedals!!!!

That was one of my all time favorites.

Right up there with shooting down Albert Ball....

http://combatace.com/topic/78104-albert-ball-is-angry-with-me/

I've been spending time on my pilot in jasta 2 to get him caught up to the date of my RNAS pilot.

Did so and went back to the RNAS  and bagged Boelcke and the the Baron while patroling enemy lines.

Good Times!

What did you fly - Pup or Tripe?

White-knuckly fighting with wet hands, and no need for a cardiac pacemaker...

Mmuahahahahaaa!!!