Sign in to follow this  
slick cowboy

use metal for Libya desert airfield?

I'd like to use metal ramps and runway for the small FOB airfield used in the Libya.

Well I actually want to use this to replace the FOB in the Desert Storm map (for an attempt at a 50's Desert Storm typa thing...)

But I don't think it would be very realistic to have USMC A-4 for instance take off on a sand runway...

I know that LOD file (LAIRFIELD3.LOD) refers to a couple of TGA, but can I replace these with matching metal BMP's? And can they be 1024 instead of the original 256?

It would be a nice addition I think and could also be used in other maps.

Any suggestions?

Are you talking about stock Airfield no.3?

You can replace the tga's. I tried it last week. But for some reason when using the usual runway graphics with white markings, it does not look good. To make it look good you have to adjust the LOD: disable the alpha channel bit for that texture/material.

Or... look around in my Airfield 7+8 addon package.

post-32175-0-89409800-1384295464.jpg

Edited by gerwin

airfield 2 and 3 have been repaved to BOTH concrete and marston mat for a llllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. JSF_Aggie did them in the early 2000, and I've did them again a few years ago. They're available in several terrain mods of mine.

two ways to do it:

rename bmps/tgas to match, place in terrain folder

hex edit airfield lod, place in terrain folder with renamed/edited bmps and tgas

the difficult thing is, NONE of the airfield lods are available anymore for extraction

as gerwin said, there's a alignment screwup on runway2 for the centerline white stripe. Easily fixed by using a runway bmp without the line

EDIT: had to find WHICH terrain, and what airfield

runway 2, fully paved from the "Eastern Med" (aka NAfrica) terrain. no line misalignments

runway 3, fully paved, also from NAfrica, no misalignments

(you all think that THE terrain/targets guy hadn't already done this??? :biggrin:

Edited by Wrench

as gerwin said, there's a alignment screwup on runway2 for the centerline white stripe. Easily fixed by using a runway bmp without the line

I don't mean misalignement really. more like the line starts shimmering when the camera moves.

There is a bit in the LOD format, right before each texture name which means 'alpha blending yes/no' I guess. I changed that one too to get better results.

there are, and have been, quite a few minor lod issues since day one. some of the structures may have a few flipped faces that cause the shimmering. not to mention the shadow beam from the pit1 lod (which is easily fixed by turning OFF the shadow in it's ini -- which is why that ini is in every one of my terrain mods!)

Some may also have been induced by DX10/11 when SF2 came out; what wasn't as noticeable in 1stGens, become very noticeable in SF2

just one 'o them thangs, I guess!

i was referring to the LAirfield3 which has a its own LOD file

it's not a stock one... (at least i don't think so...)

or is that one based on the desert airfield3?

I have said "the screenies above are STOCK desert airfields, just simply retextured"

the top pic is airfield3, the bottom airfield 2 (albeit BOTH very dressed up!)

open the NAfrica terrain folder and look for the M_runway bmps and tgas. It's a simply copy/paste

Edited by Wrench

The small airfield in Iceland would be a nice airstrip. But then we'd have to work with the Iceland tiles I guess...

I'm just discovering this, so never mind if I ask stupid questions...

There is NOTHING from the IcelandNA terrain that is usable -- extract the IcelandNA terrain cat, and tell me how many lods you find in it.

Also, let me know how many tiles you find (as we normally think of them)

To be able to use something from one terrain to another, one first needs to get their hands physically upon the object.