Typhoon

OT: You Play The Hand You Are Dealt

Well another round of surgery next Friday. This will not be as extensive as the last bit. It is to determine for sure that the tumours did not break through the bladder wall.

So hopefully I will be in and out the same day.

I'll keep you posted.

Tony

Thoughts and prayers, Typhoon. Here's hoping you're flying in WOFF with us soon.

You have my best wishes, thoughts and prayers.

Attitude is a very important aspect of fighting cancer.  Go into this knowing you are going to win. 

Give your cancer a name.  A funny little name that you cannot possibly be afraid of.  Mine was Calamari.  Long story, but it was fitting.  Perhaps calling it a BE 2 or Quirk might be fitting given this forum.  I can't think of any WW I plane that is less scary....unless you're it's pilot.

Smile when you hear any noise during your treatments.  That is the sound of your "Calamari" screaming in agony as it dies a painful, torturous, much deserved death.

Chemo is not for wimps.  If you go this route and the side effects are bad, remember that the "Calamari" is having an even worse time as it dies it's agonizing death.

Best Wishes

Stephen E Hood

Wishing you good health in 2014 and a successful pre-emptive surgery.

I wish you and all your family a very Merry Christmas as well.

KEEP UP THE FAITH MATE!

Typhoon,

I was very sorry to hear of your recent health scare and surgeries. My thoughts are with you not only during the holiday season, but every day until you report back with a 100% bill of health.

Good to hear from you, Tony. I wish you good strength for the second part,

and when it is done, a very good and healthy new year 2014!

Hope your latest operations went well Tony.  Looks likes it's been about a week since you had the last one.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.  Please drop by when you can and let us know how you're faring.

Well I had the second surgery and it seems the tumours had started to grow back since the last surgery 5 weeks prior. The doc says it is very agressive. They may have to remove my bladder. I won't know for certain until the pathology report. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Jan 7 to discuss options.

Just hoping and praying until then.

Thanks

Tony

Well that's not the news you wanted to hear.  I'll keep prayin' for you man.  Stay tough.

Here is the latest news. I finally saw the surgeon on the 18th and he told me that I had a choice, remove the bladder in a 7 hr operation or chemotherapy. Guess what I chose.

I start the chemo on Jan 29th and it lasts for about 7 weeks. The procedure is that they pump the bladder full of the chemo solution roll you around to coat the inside completely and that is it  for each treatment. The good thing is there are no side effects such as hair loss and nausea, You might feel a bit under the weather for a day or two.

Oh, here is a bit of unrelated news. On Wed Jan 22 I will finally become a Canadian citizen. I have lived here for 65 yrs and thought it was about time.

Tony

Edited by Typhoon

My wife's a nurse and says that treatment gets very good results so all the best for that.

What have you been when you haven't been Canadian?

What have you been when you haven't been Canadian?

I was a British Subject, a Landed Immigrant in Canada

Oddly enough for 42 years i worked for the Cdn Gov in one capacity or another.

Edited by Typhoon

Tony, I would have chosen the same treatment.

The other way is still an option, if the first might fail, but I wish you that it works.

On Wed Jan 22 I will finally become a Canadian citizen.

I have lived here for 65 yrs and thought it was about time.

Haha - as we say in Germany: the good things take a little longher.

This should be a good sign - all the best, Tony!

Well here is another update, sort of.

Jan 29, first Chemo treatment. They put the concoction into your bladder and you have to hold it for 80 minutes, I lasted 5 mins, not a good sign

Feb 5,  2nd treatment. This time I held it for 65 mins. Much better and the nurse said it will be effective.

Feb 12 this morning I held it the entire 80 mins. So things are looking up, only 4 more to go.

The Chemo drug is actually a weakend Tuberculosis bacteria and there are strict hygiene procedures involving a lot of bleach for 6 hr after the treatment.

Tony

Hey, nice to hear from you, Tony!

Sounds good to me so far - what does "a lot of bleach" mean in this context?

Edited by Olham

Hey, nice to hear from you, Tony!

Sounds good to me so far - what does "a lot of bleach" mean in this context?

Every time you void your bladder you must pour 2 cups of bleach into the bowl and let it sit for 20 mins before flushing, you must wipe everthing down with bleach wipes if there is even the remotest possibility of it being contaminated. I guess this stuff can be nasty if it somehow gets into the bloodstream. The nurse who gave me the lecture scared me half to death.

Tony

I guess this stuff can be nasty if it somehow gets into the bloodstream. The nurse who gave me the lecture scared me half to death.

Beating one fear with another panic, eyh? Nurses...

Great to see something positive Typhoon.Our thoughts are with you.

Thank you for the update Tony.  I'll keep on saying a prayer for you Sir and we'll keep your tab open at the pub in anticipation of your return.

All the best my friend.

Lou