Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

AC-130U Live fire

that is awesome, the recoil on the 105 is massive!!

For 2 years I lived about 1.5 miles from the front gate to Hurlbert Field (AFSOC Headquarters). About every weeknight you could hear and watch the AC's (nav lights were on of course) circling the range and firing their guns. Seems like they took turns with different weapons systems on different nights. One night it would be the "belching" of the 25mms. The next time the thump of the 40mms. Then the 105s...both the firing of the gun and the impact on target. Also saw lots of Ospreys and former Soviet block helicopters flying up and down the coast and Santa Rosa Sound. Cool place to live. :D

Edited by TSMcQueen

I never got to see an AC-130 fire during the day until 08. We got our "mounted live fire convoy assault" ( or whatever we called it that week) range shut down because they where flying over doing live fire in the impact area at Camp Shelby, MS. Before that I had only seen them operate at night. During OP Vigilant Resolve ( The First Battle of Fallujah) I watched them 105 the shit out of stuff all night. No lights. just muzzle flash, explosion, and boom. Later, the super friends we where working with thought it would be a great idea to destroy a BMW that they did not want to use any more so they had it 105ed. Problem was, it was only 700m from my position. Here I am doing outer cordon for a super friends raid and the car they where using blows up after they just got extracted by a Ranger platoon in Pandurs.. Talk about poop pants. I immediately reported observing indirect fire and executed a platoon survivability move. None the less the super friends had a big chuckle over that during the mission debrief. Being a 105 gun crewman on an AC-130 is the closest you can get in the USAF to being a tanker.

Edited by CrazyhorseB34
  • Like 2